PDA

View Full Version : A preaching sex offender

08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/news/08222007b.shtml

Thought this was an interesting discussion Glenn was having. I find the situation quite confounding. I mean the fundamentals of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is faith and repentence. But the preacher indicated absolutely no regret for anything he did. And never mind the fact that if he was Christian he shouldnt have been sleeping with anyone but his wife let alone with kids. I just dont understand how anyone can ask a man so unrepentant to be a preacher. Am I missing something?

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
This is why I dont like organised religion.

08-22-2007, 05:10 PM

So you let the few anamolies keep you from all of it?

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
No I have dear friends who believe all kinds of different things..

I just dont believe in any of the major religions.

I believe what can be proven.

Its just how I am.

I can believe in what does not make sense to me and I should be given just as much respect as I give my friends who believe in their way.

Me not believing what you believe does no harm to your beliefs.

Just as you believing what you believe does no harm to mine.

Its OK for people to have differnt beliefs.

What we need to concentrate on is being good to each other which is what 99% of all religion tells us to do.

Organised religion relys on giving someone power to tell you How to believe.

It is fertile ground for corruption.

darin
08-22-2007, 05:27 PM

Its just how I am.

That's horrible, really, because there exists no Faith required. PLUS - I'd bet if I asked, I could get you to confess belief in TEN things which have not been proven to you.

darin
08-22-2007, 05:34 PM
re: this guy? Very lame. He should actually be IN the church - just kept away from kids...just a precaution and a repercussion of his crime.

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 05:36 PM
That's horrible, really, because there exists no Faith required. PLUS - I'd bet if I asked, I could get you to confess belief in TEN things which have not been proven to you.

why is it terrible to not believe in what you believe in?

08-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Because you arent free. Only the truth can set you free.

darin
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM

I never said that - ask a question related to what I actually write, if you want an answer.

nevadamedic
08-22-2007, 07:53 PM

Its just how I am.

I can believe in what does not make sense to me and I should be given just as much respect as I give my friends who believe in their way.

What we need to concentrate on is being good to each other which is what 99% of all religion tells us to do.

I can prove to you that God exists, come see me sometime and ill introduce you! :laugh2:

waterrescuedude2000
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
re: this guy? Very lame. He should actually be IN the church - just kept away from kids...just a precaution and a repercussion of his crime.

He should be castrated first and then hung by his balls until death no food no nothing. Let the bastard hang and starve to death!!!

Abbey Marie
08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Its just how I am.

Our pastor always urges us to read the Bible passages he preaches on for ourselves, and draw our own conclusions. Any pastor worth his salt will do the same.

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Good for him!

that is the way it should be.

He should be asking people to get up and preach the word from their hearts.

I think it would be wonderful if half of church time was devoted to people sitting in samll groups listening to each othe talk about what Jesus was trying so hard to teach this world.

To reach out to others in love.

Abbey Marie
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Good for him!

that is the way it should be.

He should be asking people to get up and preach the word from their hearts.

I think it would be wonderful if half of church time was devoted to people sitting in samll groups listening to each othe talk about what Jesus was trying so hard to teach this world.

To reach out to others in love.

We do that in small groups/bible studies at various homes. I think it's great also.

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Now that is a way to keep the message from getting twisted and keep the power seekers from dragging people arround by the nose with their religion.

diuretic
08-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Wait a minute. He had consensual sex with girls aged 15 to 17 and he's a "child sex offender"? Bullshit. Child predator? More bullshit.

He's described as being 42 years of age, I presume that's now, 2007. And he as convicted in 1996. Let me see. That's 11 years ago. He was 31 when he was convicted. 31 and he had consensual sex (I presume, since he wasn't charged with rape) with teenage girls between 17 and 15.

He's not a child molester or a child predator. He's a sex offender yes, but let's get over this "child predator" idea.

Where I am the age of consent is 17. In some states it's 16. That puts it in perspective for me.

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 09:29 PM
You should invite him over to hang with your daughter.

diuretic
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
You should invite him over to hang with your daughter.

Got anything better?

LiberalNation
08-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I just dont understand how anyone can ask a man so unrepentant to be a preacher. Am I missing something?

He's prolly a good speaker. Charisma will get you a long way and as long as he doesn't screw with any of his parishinors kids they'll listen to him.

Trinity
08-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Wait a minute. He had consensual sex with girls aged 15 to 17 and he's a "child sex offender"? Bullshit. Child predator? More bullshit.

He's described as being 42 years of age, I presume that's now, 2007. And he as convicted in 1996. Let me see. That's 11 years ago. He was 31 when he was convicted. 31 and he had consensual sex (I presume, since he wasn't charged with rape) with teenage girls between 17 and 15.

He's not a child molester or a child predator. He's a sex offender yes, but let's get over this "child predator" idea.

Where I am the age of consent is 17. In some states it's 16. That puts it in perspective for me.

and that right there is the problem today..............If you have been labeled a sex offender 99% of the population automatically assume you must be a child molester or a predator.

Did you know you can be labeled a sex offender in the state of Ohio for peeing in public?

I wrote an article about this particular subject, so yes I've done my research.

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 06:08 AM
and that right there is the problem today..............If you have been labeled a sex offender 99% of the population automatically assume you must be a child molester or a predator.

Did you know you can be labeled a sex offender in the state of Ohio for peeing in public?

I wrote an article about this particular subject, so yes I've done my research.

Here in Nevada as well. The Sex Offender Laws are royally F'd up. I know people who got nailed and have to register for being with someone 16 and 17 when they were 18 and in High School. It's stupid and they have to register.

Trinity
08-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Here in Nevada as well. The Sex Offender Laws are royally F'd up. I know people who got nailed and have to register for being with someone 16 and 17 when they were 18 and in High School. It's stupid and they have to register.

Yeah it is stupid and I know several people in that same position and it's sad they have to pay for the rest of their lives because they had a girlfriend that was 15 to 16 years old and they were 18. The system needs some serious overhauls.

I was not around when this was going on, but if I recall correctly many many years ago women were considered old maids if they weren't married by 15 or 16. I doubt very seriously if the guys they were marrying were 15 or 16 years old as well.

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah it is stupid and I know several people in that same position and it's sad they have to pay for the rest of their lives because they had a girlfriend that was 15 to 16 years old and they were 18. The system needs some serious overhauls.

I was not around when this was going on, but if I recall correctly many many years ago women were considered old maids if they weren't married by 15 or 16. I doubt very seriously if the guys they were marrying were 15 or 16 years old as well.

Are you sure you wern't around back then? :laugh2: 14 and 15 year olds would marry someone in their 40's.

Trinity
08-23-2007, 06:24 AM
Are you sure you wern't around back then? :laugh2: 14 and 15 year olds would marry someone in their 40's.

I am positive I was not around back then..............:laugh2:(I will refrain from using foul language for that comment):laugh2: however I did have a boyfriend when I was 14 who was 22, that I ended up marrying when I was 16. Long story and big mistake, but live and learn!

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 06:37 AM
I am positive I was not around back then..............:laugh2:(I will refrain from using foul language for that comment):laugh2: however I did have a boyfriend when I was 14 who was 22, that I ended up marrying when I was 16. Long story and big mistake, but live and learn!

Yea but you were 14 back in the 40's when it was ok to do that. I've been meaning to ask, what was it like growing up without Color TV? :laugh2:

Trinity
08-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Yea but you were 14 back in the 40's when it was ok to do that. I've been meaning to ask, what was it like growing up without Color TV? :laugh2:

:finger3::finger3::laugh2::laugh2:

Trinity
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
:finger3::finger3::laugh2::laugh2:

I tried to refrain but it just wasn't happening that time!:laugh2:

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 06:46 AM
I tried to refrain but it just wasn't happening that time!:laugh2:

What can I say? I bring out the best in people. :laugh2: Although being old has it's advantages as youd be a cheap date because you always get the senior discount! :laugh2:

Trinity
08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
What can I say? I bring out the best in people. :laugh2: Although being old has it's advantages as youd be a cheap date because you always get the senior discount! :laugh2:

:fu: :laugh2: alright smart ass!

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 06:58 AM
:fu: :laugh2: alright smart ass!

Awwwww you know I love ya! :) Besides I love old people, they always have such great stories. :laugh2:

Trinity
08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Awwwww you know I love ya! :) Besides I love old people, they always have such great stories. :laugh2:

Ha Ha! LOL!

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Ha Ha! LOL!

;)

Angel Heart
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
This is why I don't like organised religion.

Same here. I've had my fill of it.

Angel Heart
08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
So you let the few anomalies keep you from all of it?

I have yet to find a church that isn't out for one thing... the mighty green back.

Angel Heart
08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Organised religion relies on giving someone power to tell you How to believe.

I got sick of someone telling me how my relationship with God should be. It's too personal of a thing to let someone else dictate what you should and shouldn't believe in.

Angel Heart
08-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Because you arent free. Only the truth can set you free.

Who's truth? Another mans.... :lol::lol::lol:

No thanks.

Pale Rider
08-23-2007, 02:13 PM

So if your buddy told you he grilled out last weekend and burnt the hamburgers, would you dislike grills as well?

Angel Heart
08-23-2007, 02:18 PM

I know of several that run around saying that was their case but in actuality it's that they did rape someone or touched a young child. I know one where a lady married the man and had a girl then a boy. When the girl was 4 he was caught raping her. He's in prison again. Unless you've seen the papers saying what exactly happened, don't take their word.

Pale Rider
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
I got sick of someone telling me how my relationship with God should be. It's too personal of a thing to let someone else dictate what you should and shouldn't believe in.

I agree with that. I don't get a whole lot out of going to church or listening to a preacher myself. I've read the Bible cover to cover, and I have my own relationship with the Lord.

Joan
08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I worked in a Catholic School for over 8 years back ind the 80's - and some of the things I saw really made me sick. The rectory had the hugest wine cellar I've ever seen. We had on priest who had an out of town girlfriend. But, the one that I did admire was a young priest straight from Ireland, who fell in love with one of the CCD teachers. We did talk about it, and he told me he would not do anything until he made a 2 week retreat. When he came back, he said he had made up his mind, and left the priesthood. He got a job in NY and eventually they did marry. Once I left the church, I was a little disgusted with organized religion myself. I also remember the day my mother died out next door neighbor (catholic turned Pentecostal) came over to offer his condolences, then hit me with the utlimate insult when he said "It's a shame your mother will never see heave as she wasn't "born again"

As for kids back in the 40's having sex at such young ages, I do believe that is a crock. I was born in the 40's (old fart that I am), and hell, I wasn't allowed to even go on a date until I was 16! No color TV either, hell we didn't even have a TV. We listened to a lot of radio. Eventually, we finally got a TV, but I never had a color TV until I got married.

With a little help from a friend on this board, I did dig out my bible and it has proven to be a big help to me!

5stringJeff
08-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Re: the OP: as a youth pastor, he broke the trust of those girls, and everyone in that ministry who depended on him to be a good role model. If the guy hasn't repented, he shouldn't be in any leadership role in any ministry of the church, let alone the interim pastor.

Re: sex offenders: the guy was having consenual sex with teenage girls who, in many states, it would be legal to have sex with (15 is the age of consent in several states). I fail to see how he should be seen as some type of threat to everyone alive.

08-24-2007, 03:26 AM
I have yet to find a church that isn't out for one thing... the mighty green back.

Ive seen very few that are.

08-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Who's truth? Another mans.... :lol::lol::lol:

No thanks.

Truth doesnt belong to people. It is things as they were, things as they are, and things as they will be. Truth remains constant despite whether people believe, recognize, or can comprehend it.

Is it any wonder you've never found it when you don't believe its can be found?

diuretic
08-24-2007, 03:58 AM
There's no such thing as truth. Yes, I'm being deliberately provocative but not in a nasty way, just interested in views about it.

I suppose I should start a thread on it to avoid thread drift here.

Abbey Marie
08-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Churches I've belonged to have done a ton of good with that mighty greenback. Missions to other countries, housebuilding for the poor here in the US, visited prisons, fed the poor, sheltered pregnant teens, gave out Bibles, etc., etc,

I'm curious to know what your church was doing with the money that was so evil? You should always look at a person's or church's "fruits" to help you determine if their heart is in the right place. If it isn't, be it a friend, boyfriend or a church, move on.

darin
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM

You are perpetuating a stereotype - it's honestly not much more than an excuse you are creating to avoid Church.

Joel Osteen and his ilk? Yeah - he's about money. But MOST churches really LOVE people and hope to provide for their attendees a service.

diuretic
08-25-2007, 12:44 AM
All stereotypes have a germ of truth in them. But using a stereotype to bolster an argument is a bit pointless. And then I suppose thinking about something makes someone come over all reasonable and some might misjudge that for fence-sitting.

The Roman Catholic Church has an incredible amount of wealth. If you go to Italy, go to the Vatican City and take a look at the treasures there. But no-one is going to buy or sell the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. So in a sense the Roman Catholic Church has assets it can't possibly realise. It does need money to function though. As has been pointed out, churches do an immense amount of good in the world. We can't look at corrupt individuals and condemn the organisations that employed them. We can condemn the individual, we can condemn anyone who facilitated their behaviour or covered it up but we can't blame the institution itself because the institution itself isn't inherently corrupt.

There are some tv preachers who are just criminals. But not all of them are. Robert Schuller of Crystal Cathedral fame is one who comes to mind. I'm not religious but I really enjoy listening to him speaking (on tv, never seen him real life). I actually went and had a look at the Crystal Cathedral and while it was impressive it didn't seem to me to be a monument to Schuller's ego. I had a look at the work his church was doing and it was impressive.