PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 05:44 PM
So I'm going to NJ tomorrow for a one night visit. And it wasn't until I was on the page paying a tiny fee for my Marriott visit, being a family member works there. :) But it was then that I noticed...

https://i.imgur.com/4fPMnjy.jpg

So yup, brand new truck, I still feel hesitation at every step, feeling like I am going to scratch it or crash, or someone will do the same again. So less than 100 miles on her, and I'm taking it to NJ for an evening, and no garage is bad enough - but on Friday the 13th???

:scared:

https://i.imgur.com/XoLSB41.gif

Kathianne
07-12-2018, 07:02 PM
So I'm going to NJ tomorrow for a one night visit. And it wasn't until I was on the page paying a tiny fee for my Marriott visit, being a family member works there. :) But it was then that I noticed...

https://i.imgur.com/4fPMnjy.jpg

So yup, brand new truck, I still feel hesitation at every step, feeling like I am going to scratch it or crash, or someone will do the same again. So less than 100 miles on her, and I'm taking it to NJ for an evening, and no garage is bad enough - but on Friday the 13th???

:scared:

https://i.imgur.com/XoLSB41.gif

Let your son drive it, tell him to watch out for off road. Let him get the dings, cry before you leave for NJ. All will be fine. ;)

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Let your son drive it, tell him to watch out for off road. Let him get the dings, cry before you leave for NJ. All will be fine. ;)

Oh HELL NO!!

He did drive my old truck, and it was when I was visiting in NJ. There won't be any repeats in this truck! LOL

He was driving far to the right and nearly hitting the curb and/or parked cars to the right, made me nervous as hell, but he has to learn. But his learning just ended when I signed for my new baby. :)

Woman said that when he's ready she is going to get him classes at driving school and they help him get his license. He's got his learner's permit already and aced every question right, so he's got that part down. But now he's got to learn to actually get behind the wheel.

Kathianne
07-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Oh HELL NO!!

He did drive my old truck, and it was when I was visiting in NJ. There won't be any repeats in this truck! LOL

He was driving far to the right and nearly hitting the curb and/or parked cars to the right, made me nervous as hell, but he has to learn. But his learning just ended when I signed for my new baby. :)

Woman said that when he's ready she is going to get him classes at driving school and they help him get his license. He's got his learner's permit already and aced every question right, so he's got that part down. But now he's got to learn to actually get behind the wheel.

Got right to the point. Dings are going to happen. Wheels scraped. It only hurts the first time. ;)

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Got right to the point. Dings are going to happen. Wheels scraped. It only hurts the first time. ;)

That's a fact, and it's GOT to be ME. Because I simply won't be forgiving as much if the wifey comes home with a huge dent, or say a friend drops an ash and burns the new leather... no smoking in there BTW. But it's GOING to happen. I'd rather not make a friend an ex-friend, or perhaps an ex-wife.... :)

I can deal with the first few scrapes of the tire or wheels, and even the first few times she gets good and dirty. But a damn good door ding, or bumper bashing - and off with someone's head! Only a matter of time...

https://i.imgur.com/WdRYbFC.gif

Gunny
07-12-2018, 07:42 PM
That's a fact, and it's GOT to be ME. Because I simply won't be forgiving as much if the wifey comes home with a huge dent, or say a friend drops an ash and burns the new leather... no smoking in there BTW. But it's GOING to happen. I'd rather not make a friend an ex-friend, or perhaps an ex-wife.... :)

I can deal with the first few scrapes of the tire or wheels, and even the first few times she gets good and dirty. But a damn good door ding, or bumper bashing - and off with someone's head! Only a matter of time...

https://i.imgur.com/WdRYbFC.gifBrand new Navy blue 1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup and went sporting it off to the unit softball game the weekend after I drove it off the lot.

Sure as shit while I was playing that shiny new paint was a foul ball magnet. Right on the front driver's side fender :crying33

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Brand new Navy blue 1987 Toyota 4x4 pickup and went sporting it off to the unit softball game the weekend after I drove it off the lot.

Sure as shit while I was playing that shiny new paint was a foul ball magnet. Right on the front driver's side fender :crying33

Ya see, first someone may need an ass kicking and told to learn how to hit the effing ball in fair play, and then maybe making that friend no longer a friend. Maybe I shouldn't have parked my new truck in that area, but that's irrelevant. :)

My 2004 4Runner, like about a year or so on the dot, all of a sudden a smiley face on top of a stick figure was etched into the passenger door. WTF? Oh man, I was piiiiiiiisssssed! And I never did find out who did it. I tried my own FBI shit and came up empty.

The next time it was simply parked in my driveway. We shoveled and everything was done after a storm. Like 3-4 hours later and **BOOOOOM***. Once again, WTF was that? I go down - to find out that apparently even though my truck was in park with brake on, she done did roll in the ice - and the right front quarter panel hit the frame of the garage door. Well EFF me! :(

Kathianne
07-12-2018, 08:44 PM
I'd get mad at myself, pretty forgiving of others. LOL!

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 08:49 PM
I'd get mad at myself, pretty forgiving of others. LOL!

Nothing wrong with that. Forgiveness should be a priority, especially in events with no injuries.

But this is ME we are talking about, and my new truck. I can learn to perhaps forgive myself, but anyone else is gonna have an issue for quite some time at the minimum. I love my truck almost as much as my animals! I take very good care of my vehicles. But I still love my doggies and kitty more though. And the family is pretty cool too. :wink2:

Gunny
07-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Ya see, first someone may need an ass kicking and told to learn how to hit the effing ball in fair play, and then maybe making that friend no longer a friend. Maybe I shouldn't have parked my new truck in that area, but that's irrelevant. :)

My 2004 4Runner, like about a year or so on the dot, all of a sudden a smiley face on top of a stick figure was etched into the passenger door. WTF? Oh man, I was piiiiiiiisssssed! And I never did find out who did it. I tried my own FBI shit and came up empty.

The next time it was simply parked in my driveway. We shoveled and everything was done after a storm. Like 3-4 hours later and **BOOOOOM***. Once again, WTF was that? I go down - to find out that apparently even though my truck was in park with brake on, she done did roll in the ice - and the right front quarter panel hit the frame of the garage door. Well EFF me! :(I had no idea who did it. I was playing in one game and there were about 4 games at a time going. It was some base league at Randolph AFB.

I purposefully parked way in the back and where you'd think no one would hit even a foul. WRONG :( Ash was about 3 then and she was like why are you so mad, Daddy? :laugh:

Had a woman in DC in the center lane make a left-hand turn right into my Jeep one morning. Damned airhead. And they didn't even have cell phones then. I got to drive a 4-Runner rental while it was getting fixed and I almost made a trade :)

Around here, you can just forget it. It's one reason on the "nay" list for a new ride. My 01 pickup runs just fine and I just overlook the dings. Funny thing though ... I STILL know if I get a new one :)

Kathianne
07-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Forgiveness should be a priority, especially in events with no injuries.

But this is ME we are talking about, and my new truck. I can learn to perhaps forgive myself, but anyone else is gonna have an issue for quite some time at the minimum. I love my truck almost as much as my animals! I take very good care of my vehicles. But I still love my doggies and kitty more though. And the family is pretty cool too. :wink2:

Well I'm just thinking if your new truck was here this past week. Nearly every day there's been dust storms, some are pretty big particles being hurled at 70+mph. Oh, you would not like that! :laugh:

Elessar
07-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Strange it is. Every one I bought had some asshole back into the rear bumper and dent it.

It was , or seems, to be a curse!:laugh:

Gunny
07-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Well I'm just thinking if your new truck was here this past week. Nearly every day there's been dust storms, some are pretty big particles being hurled at 70+mph. Oh, you would not like that! :laugh:Ah yes ... I had forgotten the "free sandblasting" one gets to one's vehicle in the desert:laugh:

I don't think Jim would like the desert much. :) I'm surprised you do. It's definitely a change. I remember when I'd come back East and everything was green. It was like color overload :laugh:

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Well I'm just thinking if your new truck was here this past week. Nearly every day there's been dust storms, some are pretty big particles being hurled at 70+mph. Oh, you would not like that! :laugh:

Of course I'll be driving this truck, but it will go in the garage every time it's at home, and of course better cared for as in - ensuring that it's washed after it snows, and the truck sucks up the salt in the road for a week and screws up underneath the truck, and hits it all over the paint elsewhere. So garage as much as possible, and more cleaning to ensure the paint lasts as well. I already ensure my vehicles are maintained on schedule. And with 104k on the 14 year old truck, you can tell I'm not someone using the truck as a work vehicle either.

Gunny
07-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Of course I'll be driving this truck, but it will go in the garage every time it's at home, and of course better cared for as in - ensuring that it's washed after it snows, and the truck sucks up the salt in the road for a week and screws up underneath the truck, and hits it all over the paint elsewhere. So garage as much as possible, and more cleaning to ensure the paint lasts as well. I already ensure my vehicles are maintained on schedule. And with 104k on the 14 year old truck, you can tell I'm not someone using the truck as a work vehicle either.

Don't forget your aluminum rims if you have them. That salt will kill them. I nevern had a spot of rust on my truck until I went North and through a couple of winters. I'm STILL getting that off the undercarriage and frame. Vehicles don't come winterized down here like the ones I saw in IL.

jimnyc
07-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Don't forget your aluminum rims if you have them. That salt will kill them. I nevern had a spot of rust on my truck until I went North and through a couple of winters. I'm STILL getting that off the undercarriage and frame. Vehicles don't come winterized down here like the ones I saw in IL.

Yup, that's what I mean, all that salt damage. The Northeast SUCKS when it comes to the weather. Snow, sleet, heat, rain & then lots of potholes! :lol:

Gunny
07-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Yup, that's what I mean, all that salt damage. The Northeast SUCKS when it comes to the weather. Snow, sleet, heat, rain & then lots of potholes! :lol:Don't think you're going to evade potholes coming down here. Ours have reproductive organs :smoke:

Kathianne
07-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Yup, that's what I mean, all that salt damage. The Northeast SUCKS when it comes to the weather. Snow, sleet, heat, rain & then lots of potholes! :lol:

Everywhere has it's issues. Here it's blowing 'dust' with other small, hard objects. Seriously mind boggling. Then of course, in much of the state is the absence of paved roads, lights in general, significant illumination even in busy parking lots! Hell, Sedona doesn't allow over x watts outside, got to keep the stars visible. Now don't get me wrong, I love the night sky, but love pedestrians and their vehicles more.

Gunny
07-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Everywhere has it's issues. Here it's blowing 'dust' with other small, hard objects. Seriously mind boggling. Then of course, in much of the state is the absence of paved roads, lights in general, significant illumination even in busy parking lots! Hell, Sedona doesn't allow over x watts outside, got to keep the stars visible. Now don't get me wrong, I love the night sky, but love pedestrians and their vehicles more.The desert is awesome at night. It's like being at sea. The stars are all different though. 29 Palms is in the Northern hemisphere. Most of a WestPac (Western Pacific) deployment is Southern hemisphere.

I hate sandstorms. ESPECIALLY in the field with only a tent to hide in :laugh:

Kathianne
07-12-2018, 10:33 PM
The desert is awesome at night. It's like being at sea. The stars are all different though. 29 Palms is in the Northern hemisphere. Most of a WestPac (Western Pacific) deployment is Southern hemisphere.

I hate sandstorms. ESPECIALLY in the field with only a tent to hide in :laugh:

Last Thursday was my first. Mind you, I hole up in my apt during the afternoon with blinds closed and AC on. First I smelled something 'off.' Then there was like an orangey light coming through the blinds, reminded me of the green hue of tornado skies. I open the door to the balcony and the wind nearly knocked me on my butt, the door slamming.

I couldn't see the garage, basically 20' away. All was orange/brown dust, with the wind blowing like hurricane without rain. After 10 minutes it started to dwindle, but lasted over 45 minutes. Before today, the only day without a sandstorm was Tues. Only one day was there rain, which lasted for less than 8 minutes. Sigh.

Abbey Marie
07-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Oh HELL NO!!

He has to drive in an empty parking lot for a while first!

Abbey Marie
07-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Everywhere has it's issues. Here it's blowing 'dust' with other small, hard objects. Seriously mind boggling. Then of course, in much of the state is the absence of paved roads, lights in general, significant illumination even in busy parking lots! Hell, Sedona doesn't allow over x watts outside, got to keep the stars visible. Now don't get me wrong, I love the night sky, but love pedestrians and their vehicles more.

That sounds lovely!

Abbey Marie
07-12-2018, 11:43 PM
A woman I play Mah Jongg with had her fairly new black Lexus keyed from stem to stern. Jim, you would die!

SassyLady
07-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Wow guys .... had my first Yukon for 12 years and not a ding or scratch on it. You guys really are bad luck magnets!

SassyLady
07-13-2018, 01:35 AM
Don't think you're going to evade potholes coming down here. Ours have reproductive organs :smoke:

Well, ours are like rabbits ... reproducing like gangbusters.

Speaking of dents and potholes ... I have to have front end aligned 3-4 times a year from potholes.
BTW ... here's what the last storm did to my driveway.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11548&stc=1

This is front of our 2nd garage. Used to be pavement.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11549&stc=1

Kathianne
07-13-2018, 05:43 AM

Speaking of dents and potholes ... I have to have front end aligned 3-4 times a year from potholes.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11548&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11549&stc=1

Was that from rain or wind? Unreal.

High_Plains_Drifter
07-13-2018, 06:17 AM
So yup, brand new truck, I still feel hesitation at every step, feeling like I am going to scratch it...
I know exactly what you mean. The Camaro seems to do an awful lot of just SITTING in the shop. I haven't driven it since last Sunday. I've had it for a little over two months now and it's still only got 550 miles on it. I probably won't put 1,000 miles on it a year.

High_Plains_Drifter
07-13-2018, 06:23 AM

MAAAAAaaaaaaan... son of a... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/yellow-hd/in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

gabosaurus
07-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Oh HELL NO!!

What mode of transport will you be giving the heir when he moves to Rhode Island this fall?

SassyLady
07-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Was that from rain or wind? Unreal.

Rain washed sand and debris from the wash.

Gunny
07-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Rain washed sand and debris from the wash.When I first got married we moved into a trailer outside the base in 29 Palms. As most E-3s are wont to do :). In the barracks, I lived at the top of the "hill". Unknown to us is the trailer park was in a flash flood wash. Guess that why rent was so cheap. It's the desert ... who thinks about rain?

First flood come along WE did, that's who :laugh:

Kathianne
07-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Rain washed sand and debris from the wash.

So it will 'clean up?' I feel so bad, that driveway is marvelous! ;)

Gunny
07-13-2018, 04:31 PM
So it will 'clean up?' I feel so bad, that driveway is marvelous! ;)If you're a Marine, all you need is a garden rake, snow shovel and a deck broom. The garden rake is when you are done shoveling and sweeping, you can perfectly level your sand with equally perfect rake lines (all in one direction) to ensure a perfectly manicured lawn. The Company Gunny will assure you of this fact :)

That would be a tough call. You could use a Bobcat (or skid steer depending on where you are from) but you'd have to be REAL careful not to tear up the drive.

SassyLady
07-14-2018, 01:30 AM
So it will 'clean up?' I feel so bad, that driveway is marvelous! ;)

Someone is supposed to come out Monday with equipment to try and clean it up. Problem is that a lot of asphalt washed away. Not sure we want to haul anymore in until after monsoon season.

Kathianne
07-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Someone is supposed to come out Monday with equipment to try and clean it up. Problem is that a lot of asphalt washed away. Not sure we want to haul anymore in until after monsoon season.

We still need rain, we've mostly just had dust. :( Just north, they've gotten the rain.

Elessar
07-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Need crushed stone ballast under the asphalt with that kind of sandy soil.

Elessar
07-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Back to jimnyc comment about the son driving the new truck.

My son was taught to drive at first by his step-grandpap on days I was at work,
even though he was underage at that time. Julian had a Buick sedan.

When I moved north to Humboldt county CA, I made Neil take
Driver's Ed. Then I let him practice in my old GMC K-5 Blazer.

He found out really quick the turning radius was much greater than the Buick sedan
and the cars used by the Driver's Ed teachers.

My old International Scout II had a turning radius sharper than a Jeep CJ-5,
and the K-5 was close to the Scout's radius. My Yukon can also out steer any
factory RICER on the road....

High_Plains_Drifter
07-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Dig a culvert to divert the water, or build a levy wall.

SassyLady
07-15-2018, 02:48 AM
My Yukon can also out steer any
factory RICER on the road....

Yep!

SassyLady
07-15-2018, 02:58 AM
Dig a culvert to divert the water, or build a levy wall.

Had one before and water moved all the sand away from culvert and couldn't drive over until repaired. Culvert fills up with sand and cactus. And the washes can change from year to year. We had four washes cross the property this time. Easier to drive over rocks and cactus than exposed culvert.

Levy wall would have to be on neighbors property and would change course of water for several neighbors downstream.

Everyone in neighborhood said this is once in a decade storm. However, had this house since 2011 and this is third time we've had a storm like this. And, no rain since. Go figure ... it's monsoon season.

SassyLady
07-15-2018, 03:01 AM
Need crushed stone ballast under the asphalt with that kind of sandy soil.

It's there.

We have mountains all around and this comes off the mountain. Three neighbors upstream had major damage as well. It's not that it rained on our property that hard .. it was a flash flood type of event.

Abbey Marie
07-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Doesn't seem fair to have water issues in the desert.

Speaking of unfair, we need to be wary of our own weird issues- inland hurricane worries. Something I never heard of happening until the last 20 years or so.

jimnyc
07-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Rensselaer PTI is actually in Troy, NY, not in Rhode Island.

And a 2018 4Runner is much different than a 2004 4Runner! Same with any new car, just not in me to allow it to be used as a "test" vehicle, even in a wide open parking lot. After the accident, and new vehicle, I now get weird every single time I have to hit the breaks, I look at reverse lights in front of me and to the sides. I pay more attention to every detail for now. I'm ALREADY at the breaking point when letting the kiddo drive, no need to worry about the vehicle as well!! :laugh:

He'll get driving lessons and they supply a car. Or hell, we will ultimately get him a vehicle, and hopefully something smaller and easier to handle for a first time driver. One of my 1st was a full size van when I was 17, and you're dang skippy, I drove over and through everything in the learning phase!!

He needs and will get the license of course. I'm thinking more of a Camry size vehicle for him, and for any testing as well. :)