View Full Version : Latest example of Media Bias

glockmail
08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Bush Compares Iraq to Vietnam
He Says Pullout Would Be Disastrous

By Michael A. Fletcher
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 23, 2007; Page A01

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Aug. 22 -- President Bush defended his ongoing military commitment in Iraq by linking the conflict there to the Vietnam War, arguing Wednesday that withdrawing U.S. troops would lead to widespread death and suffering as it did in Southeast Asia three decades ago.

"One unmistakable legacy of Vietnam is that the price of America's withdrawal was paid by millions of innocent citizens whose agonies would add to our vocabulary new terms like 'boat people,' 'reeducation camps' and 'killing fields,' " Bush told a receptive audience at the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention.
The president's decision to draw an explicit link between Iraq and Vietnam comes as he seeks to marshal support for his war policy among Republicans and to blunt calls from Democratic members of Congress for a drawdown of U.S. forces in the coming months. Although his comments played well among the veterans here -- the speech was interrupted with repeated cheers and applause -- the references to the Vietnam conflict, which remains a divisive, emotional issue for many Americans, prompted strong criticism from Democrats.

"The president is drawing the wrong lesson from history," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.). http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082200323.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=new

1. When Democrats mention Vietnam, its good; Republicans: bad, "divisive".
2. Bush also mentioned the lessons of WW2 efforts to rebuild Germany and Japan, neither mentoned in the article.
3. Mr. Kennedy: how is the lesson of millions dying if we leave too early "the wrong lesson from history"?

diuretic
08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Now we KNOW Bush is an idiot. What a clown :laugh2:

glockmail
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
How so?

diuretic
08-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Using the Vietnam War as a reference.

glockmail
08-23-2007, 08:37 AM
When Democrats do it they get praised. But putting that issue aside, why does referencing history make you an idiot?

GW in Ohio
08-23-2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082200323.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=new

1. When Democrats mention Vietnam, its good; Republicans: bad, "divisive".
2. Bush also mentioned the lessons of WW2 efforts to rebuild Germany and Japan, neither mentoned in the article.
3. Mr. Kennedy: how is the lesson of millions dying if we leave too early "the wrong lesson from history"?

I have three possible responses when right-wingers start whining about liberal media bias.....

Get over it, you pussies. Stop whining. You sound like a bunch of girls.
Awwww.....life is so unfair for you brave, crusading conservatives. But do the best you can, despite this blatant liberal bias in the media. Fight the good fight. God will reward you in the end.
Ha, ha, ha......that's right. The deck is stacked against you. You can't win. Why don't you just kill yourselves?

Which do you prefer?

truthmatters
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Praised by Who?

Look this Idiot whined every time someone made the Vietnam referance and then after years of doing it he makes the referance himself and as if that wasnt stupid enough he makes it in such a way to sugest we should have stayed in Vietnam.

It was a massively Stupid thing to do.

This is your president with out Rove telling him what to say.

Its going to get really bizzare.

LiberalNation
08-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't think it's a bad comparision. Stay in Iraq or look what will happen. Example Vietnam. Course his admin has blasted others for using the Vietnam reference so it is a little hypocritical.

Hagbard Celine
08-23-2007, 09:05 AM
http://www.newshounds.us/

diuretic
08-23-2007, 09:09 AM
When Democrats do it they get praised. But putting that issue aside, why does referencing history make you an idiot?

It doesn't, prima facie. What make someone look like an idiot is their demonstrated misunderstanding of it.

Abbey Marie
08-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I have three possible responses when right-wingers start whining about liberal media bias.....

Awwww.....life is so unfair for you brave, crusading conservatives. But do the best you can, despite this blatant liberal bias in the media. Fight the good fight. God will reward you in the end.
Ha, ha, ha......that's right. The deck is stacked against you. You can't win. Why don't you just kill yourselves?

Which do you prefer?

Are you kidding me? Libs constrantly p*ss and moan about the one TV network that doesn't regularly espouse a liberal bias. And wouldn't even debate on it. And then there's the lib hatred of conservative talk radio. Even to the point of trying to use the Fairness Doctirne to cripple it.

The party of free speech- not!

LiberalNation
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM
You only have as much free speech as you can afford to pay for.

Abbey Marie
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
You only have as much free speech as you can afford to pay for.

How so?

LiberalNation
08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
How so, you have to buy airtime/presstime, you have to pay lawyers if someone doesn't like your speech, you have to pay for permits to gather groups and speak. Don't have the dough, your vioce wont be heard.

truthmatters
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Are you kidding me? Libs constrantly p*ss and moan about the one TV network that doesn't regularly espouse a liberal bias. And wouldn't even debate on it. And then there's the lib hatred of conservative talk radio. Even to the point of trying to use the Fairness Doctirne to cripple it.

We dont "piss and moan" we point out the lies that this station trys to pass off to the people stupid enough to buy their proaganda as news.

If you think pointing out LIES equates with "pissing and moaning" you have been watching too much Oliely and insHannity.

Abbey Marie
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
How so, you have to buy airtime/presstime, you have to pay lawyers if someone doesn't like your speech, you have to pay for permits to gather groups and speak. Don't have the dough, your vioce wont be heard.

There is a difference between having freedom to speak, which we all have, and having an audience to hear it. There is no constitutional right to be heard by a certain number of people.

LiberalNation
08-23-2007, 09:40 AM
No there isn't but speech is useless if no one can here you. The news companies in America run on our capitalist system. They put out stuff that sells. I don't think there is a lib or con bias to any of it. Some compainies just sale to different customer blocks.

Abbey Marie
08-23-2007, 09:40 AM
We dont "piss and moan" we point out the lies that this station trys to pass off to the people stupid enough to buy their proaganda as news.

If you think pointing out LIES equates with "pissing and moaning" you have been watching too much Oliely and insHannity.

Gee, that CBS National Guard doument was truth, huh? We at least have a doumented "lie" to point to. You all just have anger and frustration with the lack of liberal bias on one network. It must be tough to lose 100% control of the TV boroadcasting. But I think you will have to learn to live with it, as we have had to live with liberal bias all over the TV for decades.

Gaffer
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Praised by Who?

Look this Idiot whined every time someone made the Vietnam referance and then after years of doing it he makes the referance himself and as if that wasnt stupid enough he makes it in such a way to sugest we should have stayed in Vietnam.

It was a massively Stupid thing to do.

This is your president with out Rove telling him what to say.

Its going to get really bizzare.

We didn't have to stay in Vietnam, all we had to do was continue to supply them with the material to defend themselves. But the dem congress wanted a complete communist victory in the region and they got it.

gabosaurus
08-23-2007, 10:00 AM
How come anytime the media criticizes Bush, it is an example of "media bias"?

glockmail
08-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Which do you prefer?

We are winning, douchebag. Ever hear of FNC, or talk radio?

glockmail
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
It doesn't, prima facie. What make someone look like an idiot is their demonstrated misunderstanding of it. Perhaps you could point out one example in this speech where he was incorrect.

glockmail
08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
.... . LOL! The true side of liberalism rears its ugly head here: "we libs are so smart and you, the majority, are a buch of dummies". :clap:

GW in Ohio
08-23-2007, 10:23 AM

I don't know about other libs, but I like Fox News and watch it occasionally. I think we need it for balance.

As for conservative talk radio, Rush is always good for a laugh and the other guys seem to fill a need in the conservative psyche, so I have no problem with it.

GW in Ohio
08-23-2007, 10:24 AM
We are winning, douchebag. Ever hear of FNC, or talk radio?

Can you discuss things without using abusive names?

It doesn't say much about your point of view.

glockmail
08-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Can you discuss things without using abusive names?

It doesn't say much about your point of view.

OK. Next time I'll toss in a few comments about whining, then suggest that you commit suicide. That will make it all better, right? :slap:

JohnDoe
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Perhaps you could point out one example in this speech where he was incorrect.Didn't the "killing Fields of Cambodia" STOP after we left Vietnam? He acted as though Cambodia killing fields was due to our withdrawal.... ? maybe I am confused on this....?

jd

wow! I was way wrong on this one! yikes!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Killing Fields)
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Killing field (disambiguation).
For the 1984 film of the same name, see The Killing Fields (film).

A commemorative stupa filled with the skulls of the victims.
Choung Ek Killing Field: The bones of young children who were killed by Khmer Rouge soldiers.The Killing Fields were a number of sites in Cambodia where large numbers of people were killed and buried by the Khmer Rouge radical Communist regime which ruled the country, as Democratic Kampuchea, from 1975 to 1979, when Communist Vietnam invaded Cambodia and toppled the Khmers. Estimates of the number of dead range from 1.7 to 2.3 million out of a population of around 7 million.[1]

The Khmer Rouge judicial process, for minor or political crimes, began with a warning from the Angkar, the government of Cambodia under the regime. People receiving more than two warnings were sent for "re-education", which meant near-certain death. People were often encouraged to confess to Angkar their "pre-revolutionary lifestyles and crimes" (which usually included some kind of free-market activity, or having had contact with a foreign source, such as a US missionary, or international relief or government agency, or contact with any foreigner or with the outside world at all), being told that Angkar would forgive them and "wipe the slate clean". This meant being taken away to a place such as Tuol Sleng or Choeung Ek for torture and/or execution.

glockmail
08-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Didn't the "killing Fields of Cambodia" STOP after we left Vietnam? He acted as though Cambodia killing fields was due to our withdrawal.... ? maybe I am confused on this....?

jd

wow! I was way wrong on this one! yikes! Hold on sister- there's more. Liberal Democrat leaders deny that this happened:

Sen. John Kerry said during a C-SPAN appearance that fears of a bloodbath after the US withdrawal from Vietnam never materialized. He says he's met survivors of the "reeducation camps" who are thriving in modern Vietnam. An award-winning investigation by the Orange County Register concludes that at least 165,000 people perished in the camps.
video and link (http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=3274)

Abbey Marie
08-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Didn't the "killing Fields of Cambodia" STOP after we left Vietnam? He acted as though Cambodia killing fields was due to our withdrawal.... ? maybe I am confused on this....?

jd

wow! I was way wrong on this one! yikes!

Have you seen the movie, The Killing Fields"? VIthink it starts with the US evacuating Saigon. Very powerful...

truthmatters
08-23-2007, 01:28 PM
LOL! The true side of liberalism rears its ugly head here: "we libs are so smart and you, the majority, are a buch of dummies". :clap:

You are not the majority

truthmatters
08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
the Orange County Register is NOT an unbiased source.

OC is a notoriously Right Wing county and I would not believe anything this rag says.

The numbers on the deaths in the reeducation camps verys greatly and no one Knows the true numbers.

The people who survived our are best estimaters and they say tens of thousands which represents all deaths from all causes.

They were horrible but they were not auswitz.

I dont think you will find anyone who will say we should have stayed and watched our country be destroyed by staying in Vietnam.

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
the Orange County Register is NOT an unbiased source.

OC is a notoriously Right Wing county and I would not believe anything this rag says.

The numbers on the deaths in the reeducation camps verys greatly and no one Knows the true numbers.

The people who survived our are best estimaters and they say tens of thousands which represents all deaths from all causes.

They were horrible but they were not auswitz.

I dont think you will find anyone who will say we should have stayed and watched our country be destroyed by staying in Vietnam.

How old are you Truth?

glockmail
08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
You are not the majority
The majority of people who watch TV/cable news watch FNC. The majority of people who listen to talk radio listen to conservative talk radio.

truthmatters
08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
That is not a majority of Americans by any means

glockmail
08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
That is not a majority of Americans by any means Nice attempt at straw man, but we are discussing your post 15.

Kathianne
08-23-2007, 07:03 PM

So YOU are WATCHING Fox?

OCA
08-23-2007, 07:07 PM
You are not the majority

You are delusional.

Yurt
08-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Which do you prefer?

4. Shut yer air hole because you make no sense.

Yeah, I like option 4. Hey, why don't you like Fox news?

JohnDoe
08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Have you seen the movie, The Killing Fields"? VIthink it starts with the US evacuating Saigon. Very powerful...

No, I never saw the movie.... I have never seen apocalypse now either and any other movie regarding Vietnam....

(I was scarred for life, watching my father, when I was 8 years old, go down the Tarmac at JFK international airport, to board the Jet that was going to get my father to the Viet Nam war.

I thought I would never see my dad alive again.

I prayed every day and cried every night for a year, until my dad, finally came home....40 lbs lighter than when he left, with bleeding ulcers, and 3 cancers later, all noted as cancers from Agent Orange, still alive today, thank goodness...all caught early on...

Decades later, I still can't watch anything regarding Viet Nam/ cambodia without crying and reliving the horrors of having my dad, be right in the middle of it.....

do they have such a thing as post traumatic stress syndrone for the kids of those that are deployed or volunteer as my dad did, to a war zone?

Thus, I am a Dove, not a Hawk....and NEVER will be able to be a Hawk, though my dad still is a hawk....but not me....no way.... I don't want any kid to have to go through the fear that I went through, while my father was in Viet Nam....at least not for ANY REASON other than truely self defense!

Anyway, noooooo, I have not seen the killing Fields!)

Kathianne
08-23-2007, 08:40 PM
No, I never saw the movie.... I have never seen apocalypse now either and any other movie regarding Vietnam....

(I was scarred for life, watching my father, when I was 8 years old, go down the Tarmac at JFK international airport, to board the Jet that was going to get my father to the Viet Nam war.

I thought I would never see my dad alive again.

I prayed every day and cried every night for a year, until my dad, finally came home....40 lbs lighter than when he left, with bleeding ulcers, and 3 cancers later, all noted as cancers from Agent Orange, still alive today, thank goodness...all caught early on...

Decades later, I still can't watch anything regarding Viet Nam/ cambodia without crying and reliving the horrors of having my dad, be right in the middle of it.....

do they have such a thing as post traumatic stress syndrone for the kids of those that are deployed or volunteer as my dad did, to a war zone?

Thus, I am a Dove, not a Hawk....and NEVER will be able to be a Hawk, though my dad still is a hawk....but not me....no way.... I don't want any kid to have to go through the fear that I went through, while my father was in Viet Nam....at least not for ANY REASON other than truely self defense!

Anyway, noooooo, I have not seen the killing Fields!)

And thus acknowledge that your trauma has left you unwilling/unable to look at war situations objectively? A reasonable response for sure.