PDA

View Full Version : Israel told to ease Palestinian movement

LiberalNation
08-23-2007, 08:46 AM
and Israel should and most likely will tell the UN to go pound sand.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians;_ylt=AvAN2LhFThH3S25wQQtMhVhva A8F

JERUSALEM - Israel must provide more freedom of movement in the West Bank and open crossings into Gaza to avoid driving even more Palestinians into poverty after Hamas seized the coastal strip two months ago, the United Nations Mideast envoy said Wednesday.

Israel's decision to shut Gaza's borders to all but humanitarian aid in the wake of Hamas' takeover is threatening an already badly damaged economy — and "this shows every sign of getting worse," Michael Williams said in an interview with The Associated Press and two other media outlets.

"We do not see how that can be changed short of opening additional crossing points, particularly Karni," Williams said, referring to Gaza's main cargo crossing with Israel.

Earlier this month, the U.N. warned that Gaza soon will become entirely dependent on foreign aid and face "disastrous consequences" if the Hamas-run territory remains sealed off. A Palestinian business group warned that at least 120,000 more Gazans could lose their jobs.

President Mahmoud Abbas set up a moderate government in the West Bank after Hamas took control of Gaza. Hamas has charged that Abbas' government, made up of pro-Western officials of the Fatah movement, does not want the crossings opened because such a move would help the Islamic group hold on to power in Gaza.

Diplomats and other officials in contact with the Abbas government privately confirm that this is the case. However, Fatah officials deny it, aware that saying so publicly could open it to charges of colluding with Israel.

Williams praised Israel's recent release of Palestinian prisoners and transfer of millions of dollars in frozen tax funds to Abbas' government. But Williams said he is "concerned that we haven't seen further steps," and urged Israel to release more prisoners and dismantle illegal settlement outposts in the West Bank.

"An elementary constituent of economic development is freedom of movement, and to a very considerable extent that does not exist in the West Bank," he said.

Williams also said he was concerned by an increase in Israeli killings of militants in Gaza in recent days, as well as by reports of human rights violations by Gaza's new Hamas rulers.

Williams began his tenure as U.N. special coordinator for the Middle East in May. He said he will be leaving the job in a few weeks, however, to assume the position of Mideast envoy for British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

theHawk
08-23-2007, 09:50 AM
That whole place is a clusterfuck, and none of our tax dollars should be going there.

gabosaurus
08-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Israel = terrorist state
Palestinians = terrorist group

Dilloduck
08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Israel = terrorist state

Gabby = terrorists poster

gabosaurus
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Good to see you admit that I terrify you...

Dilloduck
08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Good to see you admit that I terrify you...

oh absolutely---:laugh2:

5stringJeff
08-23-2007, 02:16 PM
The UN, besides being absolutely worthless, is the biggest anti-Israel organization outside of the Middle East.

Yurt
08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Israel is more important than many realize. Forget that crap that if Israel did not exist the muzzies would not be gunning for us, they have been gunning for the west/east/south/north since Muhmu started raiding caravans and thought, hey, lets make this a religion and hey, I need a 6 year old wife....

Israel is not solely about religion.

hjmick
08-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Israel is more important than many realize. Forget that crap that if Israel did not exist the muzzies would not be gunning for us, they have been gunning for the west/east/south/north since Muhmu started raiding caravans and thought, hey, lets make this a religion and hey, I need a 6 year old wife....

At least since 1801. They started extorting money from us in 1784.

Millions For Defense, Not One Cent For Tribute - Thomas Jefferson

theHawk
08-23-2007, 10:27 PM

Yes, its about alot more than just religion. Its a political movement based on both religion and race. Sad thing is most Americans believe that our country's fate somehow hinges on a Jewish politcal movement to occupy a piece of land.

Yurt
08-23-2007, 11:42 PM

And that quote was for "Israel?"

"extorting" money? what exactly did """""israel""""" have over us in 1784?

Yurt
08-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes, its about alot more than just religion. Its a political movement based on both religion and race. Sad thing is most Americans believe that our country's fate somehow hinges on a Jewish politcal movement to occupy a piece of land.

Race? So all christians are "white?" Absurd.

Those that believe our fate hings on a jewish political movement are deluded. The biblical prophecies have nothing to do with a "jewish" """""state.""""" That is a myth. If you want a religious discussion on it, open one up in the religion forum.

I am talking about politics in the region.

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Huh?

08-24-2007, 03:16 AM
Israel = terrorist state

You know there really isnt a comparison between the Israeli and the Palestinians. The Israelis are trying to protect themselves from genocide. The Palestinians dont have that claim. Israel has bent over backwards trying to convince them to live in peace. But they wont do it.

This is what i cant understand about liberalism. They call good evil and evil good and that act outraged when something bad happens. Stop supporting evil and bad things wont happen!

08-24-2007, 03:17 AM
The UN, besides being absolutely worthless, is the biggest anti-Israel organization outside of the Middle East.

its not completely worthless. It is a convenient place to store treaties. And it keeps morons from destroying the world by making them think they are important and doing something.

08-24-2007, 03:20 AM

Our countries fate hinges on its people remaining a virtuous and upright people. If they turn away from righteousness we will suffer the same fate as every other civilization. Destruction. And the wake of our destruction will be great.

theHawk
08-24-2007, 09:43 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about, sir. I never stated that all christians are white.

Those that believe our fate hings on a jewish political movement are deluded. The biblical prophecies have nothing to do with a "jewish" """""state.""""" That is a myth. If you want a religious discussion on it, open one up in the religion forum.

I am talking about politics in the region.
Yes and the politics are based on their religious beliefs. I'm not debating the religious aspect of it. I could care less who or what people worship. What does matter is this is a political movement to occupy land.

theHawk
08-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Our countries fate hinges on its people remaining a virtuous and upright people. If they turn away from righteousness we will suffer the same fate as every other civilization. Destruction. And the wake of our destruction will be great.

Well I can agree with that statement 100%. Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand though.

hjmick
08-24-2007, 10:08 AM
And that quote was for "Israel?"

"extorting" money? what exactly did """""israel""""" have over us in 1784?

Actually, that info was in regard to the Muslims. In 1784 the Barbary Coast pirates, muslims all, asked for and recieved payment from the U.S. government in return the pirates agreed to leave U.S. ships alone. At the time, Jefferson was adamantly opposed to the payments stating, "Millions For Defense, Not One Cent For Tribute." For a perion of 15 or so years, the U.S. paid more than a million dollars a year to the Muslim pirates until 1801 when the Barbary Wars began. This, as far as I can tell, is the beginning of U.S. problems with people of the Middle East, more specifically, Muslims with extremist ideas.

hjmick
08-24-2007, 10:10 AM

Huh?

Muslims.

Yurt
08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
its not completely worthless. It is a convenient place to store treaties. And it keeps morons from destroying the world by making them think they are important and doing something.

What about America's treaty with the soviets/russia that Bush unilaterally cancelled? Was that treaty made with the UN?

What exactly has the UN done that is postive in the world?

Yurt
08-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Actually, that info was in regard to the Muslims. In 1784 the Barabry Coast pirates, muslims all, asked for and recieved payment from the U.S. government in return the pirates agreed to leave U.S. ships alone. At the time, Jefferson was adamantly opposed to the payments stating, "Millions For Defense, Not One Cent For Tribute." For a perion of 15 or so years, the U.S. paid more than a million dollars a year to the Muslim pirates until 1801 when the Barbary Wars began. This, as far as I can tell, is the beginning of U.S. problems with people of the Middle East, more specifically, Muslims with extremist ideas.

Ok, fair enough.

However, sometimes shedding money is better than shedding blood.

Yurt
08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about, sir. I never stated that all christians are white.

Yes and the politics are based on their religious beliefs. I'm not debating the religious aspect of it. I could care less who or what people worship. What does matter is this is a political movement to occupy land.

You:

Yes, its about alot more than just religion. Its a political movement based on both religion and race. Sad thing is most Americans believe that our country's fate somehow hinges on a Jewish politcal movement to occupy a piece of land

What race are you talking about then? You said the movement based on religion and race. Following your logic, if the US supports such a movement, then what race are you talking about? Are you talking about the jewish "race?"

I don't understand your race issue in this matter. Israel is beyond race and IMHO, beyond religous beliefs, it is IMHO a creature of politics that no doubt has some basis in religion simply because some politicians may believe it to be so.

America's interest with Israel is not to be taken lightly. Think about this, there are many muslims comparing how well Israel has done with a speck of dirt. They have begun to ask themselves, how is this? Ah, it is America. But you see, once they make this argument, they have lost, for they have conceded the greatness of America to their alleged great Islamic faith.

theHawk
08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
You:

What race are you talking about then? You said the movement based on religion and race. Following your logic, if the US supports such a movement, then what race are you talking about? Are you talking about the jewish "race?"

I don't understand your race issue in this matter. Israel is beyond race and IMHO, beyond religous beliefs, it is IMHO a creature of politics that no doubt has some basis in religion simply because some politicians may believe it to be so.

America's interest with Israel is not to be taken lightly. Think about this, there are many muslims comparing how well Israel has done with a speck of dirt. They have begun to ask themselves, how is this? Ah, it is America. But you see, once they make this argument, they have lost, for they have conceded the greatness of America to their alleged great Islamic faith.

You're kidding right? You do realize that the Jewish people are decendants of the different Hebrew tribes right? Everything about their religion has to do with their bloodline, and thats what shapes their politics. Why do you think they segregate out the Arabs? When is the last time you've seen a black Jew?

You are the one that claimed I said "all Christians are white", of which I never stated. Christianity doesn't care what skin color you are.

Yurt
08-31-2007, 08:42 PM
You're kidding right? You do realize that the Jewish people are decendants of the different Hebrew tribes right? Everything about their religion has to do with their bloodline, and thats what shapes their politics. Why do you think they segregate out the Arabs? When is the last time you've seen a black Jew?

You are the one that claimed I said "all Christians are white", of which I never stated. Christianity doesn't care what skin color you are.

I never claimed that. Let's recap:

Race? So all christians are "white?" Absurd

As to segregating the arabs, you are the one joking. Pray tell how many jews are there in the "muslim" countries in the middle east. And please read slowly next time. My entire post is a question mark to your talk about the jewish "race."

If you don't understand still, I can explain further.

theHawk
09-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Then what was the comment directed toward? I never stated anyting about Christians being "white", so I don't understand why you said that.