PDA

View Full Version : Modern passenger planes are incredibly-capable...watch.

darin
07-25-2018, 03:23 PM
unreal.

https://youtu.be/RyeqeqSNSgQ

Gunny
07-26-2018, 03:41 PM
They scare the crap out of me. I felt safer on a CH-46 than one of those modern "buses with wings". The wind alone blows them around. Old school passenger planes just blasted through most turbulence. You feel every rattle on the new ones.

I've made one round trip on the noobs and it'll be my last if I can help it.

aboutime
07-26-2018, 05:03 PM
One of my bucket list item's is learning to fly. Maybe just once, in a piper cub. Gunny loved helo's, I flew in a few myself. But, there's nothing like a 747 civilian, or an Air Force C-41, that flew me home during the 1ST Gulf WAR...Operation Desert Storm.
Got to see NEW YORK CITY from 40,000 feet, and it looked amazing, seeing all 5 boro's at once.
Flying is safer than driving among the PEP BOY LICENSE crowd.:laugh:

darin
07-27-2018, 03:33 AM
They scare the crap out of me. I felt safer on a CH-46 than one of those modern "buses with wings". The wind alone blows them around. Old school passenger planes just blasted through most turbulence. You feel every rattle on the new ones.

What scares me is thinking, as i sit there, I am about 8 feet from 30,000 feet of empty air. It's unnatural. I get flight-fear pretty rough. I felt uneasy in CH47s because the thing would rattle and shake...but at least i could see the crew and trusted them. On commercial air I feel like i'm in an egg carton

One of my bucket list item's is learning to fly. Maybe just once, in a piper cub. Gunny loved helo's, I flew in a few myself. But, there's nothing like a 747 civilian, or an Air Force C-141, that flew me home during the 1ST Gulf WAR...Operation Desert Storm.
Got to see NEW YORK CITY from 40,000 feet, and it looked amazing, seeing all 5 boro's at once.
Flying is safer than driving among the PEP BOY LICENSE crowd.:laugh:

I've done blackhawk simulator time. I think learning to basically fly shouldn't take but a few hours. :)

FakeNewsSux
07-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Let me tell you a story about feeling every rattle. I was returning home from my first trip to Asia in Nov. '85. My Pan Am flight took off at sunrise from Kai Tak International, Hong Kong and landed 13 hours later at sunrise at San Francisco International. The only land I saw the entire flight was the island of Guam for about 15 minutes. Just as the light was disappearing over the middle of the Pacific, the overhead bins began to violently shake and eventually the seats were shaking, trays falling in the galleys the whole nine yards. This went on for about three minutes. Suddenly the shaking stopped and I was being pushed back in my seat as the aircraft accelerated. Eventually the captain came over the PA system and apologized for the discomfort but he had found the jet stream and figured it would knock an hour and a half to two hours off our flight time.

Pan Am was on its last legs at the time and I must have been on board one of the original 747's they ever purchased. Tears in seats taped up, cabinets not latching in the bathrooms, worn carpeting, etc. I thought the aircraft was in the process of disintegrating at 35,000 ft over the middle of the Pacific, what a ride!

Elessar
07-27-2018, 02:43 PM
I hate!! flying!

I did not mind it much in helicopters in the Service, but
fixed wing commercial?

The two worst were LaGuardia and San Francisco -SFO...
The cross winds at SFO will knock a 737 50 feet sideways!
LaGuardia was horrible for the take off slope.

Dad - USAF 1946 to 1995 - asked if I was a 'white knuckle" flyer.
Told him "Nope....white up to the Elbows":laugh:

FakeNewsSux
07-28-2018, 12:01 AM
I hate!! flying!

I did not mind it much in helicopters in the Service, but
fixed wing commercial?

The two worst were LaGuardia and San Francisco -SFO...
The cross winds at SFO will knock a 737 50 feet sideways!
LaGuardia was horrible for the take off slope.

Dad - USAF 1946 to 1995 - asked if I was a 'white knuckle" flyer.
Told him "Nope....white up to the Elbows":laugh:

I flew in and out of Kai Tak, Hong Kong 20-25 times. They opened a new airport after I quit flying there. Crosswinds were always a problem there. I can't tell you how many times I landed there just the the planes in the video. White knuckle for sure!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqveclPP6M

pete311
07-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Just got back from a month in Indonesia. Had a 15.5hr flight to and from connecting Taipei. Modern planes and aviation is so safe these days I don't worry at all. Even in strong turbulence. The crash rate is so extremely low.

darin
07-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Just got back from a month in Indonesia.

pics or it never happened. :)

Drummond
07-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Perhaps I lack imagination ... but commercial jet flying has never bothered me. Not even the one transatlantic flight I took, going home to London from New York, which had severe turbulance, mid-flight.

Jumbo jets 'feel' unwieldy, somehow. But my faith in engineers and flight crew is total. Those things wouldn't be flying, if they really WERE a tenth as scary as my imagination COULD tell me that they were ...

Elessar
07-28-2018, 11:19 AM
I took one flight out of Wash D.C. to Norfolk on a 'short hop' prop job.
It was thunderstorm season and that plane was knocked all over at 20k feet.
When we landed I kissed the ground, and the other 18 passengers applauded!:laugh: