PDA

View Full Version : 3 hour vid: peterson/rogan - Jordan preaches; better than most sermons i've heard

darin
08-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Jordan Peterson offers more help, hope and insight than most pastors i've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xc7DN-noAc

Noir
08-01-2018, 07:18 AM
A fair long form interview that gives him a chance to really put out his ideas and build on them - however it’s clear that Rogan isn’t really in a position to push back on those ideas - and arguments always sound better when they’ll not put to scrutiny.

The time they spent discussing his and his daughters diet is one of the weirder stories I’ve ever heard about.

darin
08-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Nothing he says has to be challenged. This wasn't a debate - was a way to teach people how to do things better, to think better, to fix their reasoning and efforts.

Noir
08-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Nothing he says has to be challenged. This wasn't a debate - was a way to teach people how to do things better, to think better, to fix their reasoning and efforts.

I get that the format of the show is not designed to challenge the guest, which is fine to an extent, though because of that it does end up as a sort of private PR exercise because of that.

SassyLady
08-02-2018, 03:39 AM
I get that the format of the show is not designed to challenge the guest, which is fine to an extent, though because of that it does end up as a sort of private PR exercise because of that.

What do you want to happen that he hasn't already done?

Noir
08-02-2018, 06:42 AM
What do you want to happen that he hasn't already done?

Peterson? I definitely want to see him in some challenging debates, and for him to have some pressure applied to his ideas - for example my biggest gripe (which iirc was mentioned in passing in the Rogan interview) is his bizarre belief in pragmatic truth, and given what is “true” is a pretty big component of any discussion I think that needs to be pressed hard.

SassyLady
08-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Peterson? I definitely want to see him in some challenging debates, and for him to have some pressure applied to his ideas - for example my biggest gripe (which iirc was mentioned in passing in the Rogan interview) is his bizarre belief in pragmatic truth, and given what is “true” is a pretty big component of any discussion I think that needs to be pressed hard.

Munk Debate on Political Correctness?
Debate at University of Toronto
Rubin Report with Ben Shapiro
Sam Harris

So, you probably ascribe to the Sam Harris view of what is "truth".

aboutime
08-02-2018, 05:25 PM
A fair long form interview that gives him a chance to really put out his ideas and build on them - however it’s clear that Rogan isn’t really in a position to push back on those ideas - and arguments always sound better when they’ll not put to scrutiny.

The time they spent discussing his and his daughters diet is one of the weirder stories I’ve ever heard about.

Maybe you will never notice Noir, but after seeing your endless..."glass is always half empty" negativity in most of your posts. You actually come off as someone who is deeply troubled by being a human being, among other humans whom you must always INSTRUCT, as to how YOU believe they should react, think, or speak. Life must be really miserable for you, and DP is the only outlet you have...where nobody can stop you from whining about life...at any extreme.
If you would like to discuss it. I know, you won't lower yourself to respond to me.

Noir
08-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Munk Debate on Political Correctness?
Debate at University of Toronto
Rubin Report with Ben Shapiro
Sam Harris

So, you probably ascribe to the Sam Harris view of what is "truth".

The Munk debate was pretty awful in terms of a debate, not Peterson’s fault but still. His discussions with Harris and Shapiro aren’t overly combative, thought they are atleast interesting.

Truth beyond the cogito is a real difficult question, I don’t know if I could back the Harris view to the hilt, however Peterson’s position is demonstrably unhelpful imo.

Noir
08-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Life must be really miserable for you

Sorry, but wrong. Let’s talk about the topic instead (:

aboutime
08-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but wrong. Let’s talk about the topic instead (:

You ARE sorry! YOU have become the topic.