PDA

View Full Version : Will George W. Bush help or hurt the GOP in '08?

GW in Ohio
08-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd like to get an idea of how the members of Debate Policy feel about Bush's legacy in next year's elections.

Are the Republicans going to make gains in congressional races because the voters are happy with the Bush administration?
Are Republicans going to do well in next year's elections despite how the public feels about the Bush administration?
Are republican candidates in for a massive ass-kicking next year, as the voters express their dissatisfaction with the stink bomb that is the Bush administration?

Vote here, and tell why you feel as you do.......

5stringJeff
08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I'd like to get an idea of how the members of Debate Policy feel about Bush's legacy in next year's elections.

Are the Republicans going to make gains in congressional races because the voters are happy with the Bush administration?
Are Republicans going to do well in next year's elections despite how the public feels about the Bush administration?
Are republican candidates in for a massive ass-kicking next year, as the voters express their dissatisfaction with the stink bomb that is the Bush administration?

I say #2, because most Republicans are running away from Bush, much like many Democrats (including Al Gore) ran away from Bill Clinton in 2000. I think the GOP will have to redefine itself in 2008, and will do so primarily through the choosing of its nominee. I think the nominee will be a paleoconservative, and the party itself will come back closer to its conservative roots.

08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Bush isnt running. i dont think he will have much impact whatsoever.

LiberalNation
08-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Hurt, the dems would have to run a pretty bad candidate and the repubs a really good one for the dems to loose this next prez elction.

08-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Hurt, the dems would have to run a pretty bad candidate and the repubs a really good one for the dems to loose this next prez elction.

So which candidate isnt a really bad one?

glockmail
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I'd like to get an idea of how the members of Debate Policy feel about Reid/Pelosi's legacy in next year's elections.

Are the Democrats going to make gains in legislative races because the voters are happy with the Reid/Pelosi Leadership?
Are Democrats going to do well in next year's elections despite how the public feels about the BuReid/Pelosi Leadership?
Are Dmenocrat candidates in for a massive ass-kicking next year, as the voters express their dissatisfaction with the stink bomb that is the Reid/Pelosi Leadership?

Vote here, and tell why you feel as you do.......[/QUOTE]

:pee:

GW in Ohio
08-24-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd like to get an idea of how the members of Debate Policy feel about Reid/Pelosi's legacy in next year's elections.

Are the Democrats going to make gains in legislative races because the voters are happy with the Reid/Pelosi Leadership?
Are Democrats going to do well in next year's elections despite how the public feels about the BuReid/Pelosi Leadership?
Are Dmenocrat candidates in for a massive ass-kicking next year, as the voters express their dissatisfaction with the stink bomb that is the Reid/Pelosi Leadership?

:pee:[/QUOTE]

Your comments say a lot about you, glockie.

PostmodernProphet
08-24-2007, 07:58 AM
I would say that the failures of the Republican congress will have a bigger impact on Republican voters in 08 than anything Bush has done....

glockmail
08-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Your comments say a lot about you, glockie.[/QUOTE]

They say that I am your pwner.:coffee:

Hagbard Celine
08-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I predict that GWB will preemptively invade the Democrat Party caucus in search of WMD and get the GOP involved in a debate that it can't win due to poor management, underfunding and low troop levels. You heard it here first folks.

Hugh Lincoln
08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I think the GOP will have to redefine itself in 2008, and will do so primarily through the choosing of its nominee. I think the nominee will be a paleoconservative, and the party itself will come back closer to its conservative roots.

Huh... that's something I'd be down with, but this will be hard. The GOP is still under heavy neocon control. The "invade the world, invite the world" faction dominates. The old-style conservatives who say "eff open borders" and "eff endless middle east wars" were pretty much kicked down the stairs and I think basically remain in the basement, at least with the GOP power elites. The GOP grassroots feels differently, mostly about immigration.

But the fact that Tancredo and Paul are gaining in popularity says something. Tancredo is great on immigration, and Paul is OK on immigration and against the current war madness. Meanwhile, McCain is no longer popular.

nevadamedic
08-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Your comments say a lot about you, glockie.[/QUOTE]

82Marine89
08-24-2007, 10:46 PM

I think the pubbies will make gains, but not because of Jorge. He has been the primary cause of the death of the Republican party. He single-handedly achieved in 6 years what the Democrat party has been trying to do since the mid 90's. The dems have simply proven that they are no better than the GOP and I feel a Green party candidate will further harm them when they become centrists again.

gabosaurus
08-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Definitely No. 3. Look at the effect that Dubya had on the midterm elections. There is going to be a strong anti-Bush backlash in 2008. I believe the Dems will take the White House and control of both the House and Senate.

nevadamedic
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Definitely No. 3. Look at the effect that Dubya had on the midterm elections. There is going to be a strong anti-Bush backlash in 2008. I believe the Dems will take the White House and control of both the House and Senate.

Not if Hillary or Obama get the nomination. Not as many people hate President Bush as you seem to think. You are blinded by Liberal propaganda.

82Marine89
08-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Not if Hillary or Obama get the nomination. Not as many people hate President Bush as you seem to think. You are blinded by Liberal propaganda.

What flavor is your Kool-Aid?

GW in Ohio
08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Huh... that's something I'd be down with, but this will be hard. The GOP is still under heavy neocon control. The "invade the world, invite the world" faction dominates. The old-style conservatives who say "eff open borders" and "eff endless middle east wars" were pretty much kicked down the stairs and I think basically remain in the basement, at least with the GOP power elites. The GOP grassroots feels differently, mostly about immigration.

But the fact that Tancredo and Paul are gaining in popularity says something. Tancredo is great on immigration, and Paul is OK on immigration and against the current war madness. Meanwhile, McCain is no longer popular.

The GOP is struggling to redefine itself in the wake of the disastrous Bush presidency. There are signs that the right-wing religious-oriented leadership is passing from power and that a more moderate wing of the party, led by Rudy Giuliani, is in the ascendancy.

08-27-2007, 09:48 AM
The GOP is struggling to redefine itself in the wake of the disastrous Bush presidency. There are signs that the right-wing religious-oriented leadership is passing from power and that a more moderate wing of the party, led by Rudy Giuliani, is in the ascendancy.

looks more to me that the pro border security crowd is winning. After all, all the candidates excluding McCain are making sure they are on the right side of that debate.

And Guiliani isnt doing as well in the state to state match ups.

GW in Ohio
08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
looks more to me that the pro border security crowd is winning. After all, all the candidates excluding McCain are making sure they are on the right side of that debate.

And Guiliani isnt doing as well in the state to state match ups.

Looks to me like the pro-border security crowd is whining.

Just kidding. Actually, I'm pro-border security, and I'm a frickin' liberal, fer chrissakes.

But I think the leadership of the GOP is passing back to the moderate wing of the party, which is pro-choice, pro gay rights, etc.

Trigg
08-27-2007, 02:47 PM

I say #2

Plenty of republicans, myself included, didn't want to vote Bush during the last election. IF the dems had run a good candidate they would have won.

I think they'll screw up again and run Hillary and many dems will not vote for her. If the republicans run the right person we will win again regardless of how people feel about Bush.

GW in Ohio
08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
I say #2

Plenty of republicans, myself included, didn't want to vote Bush during the last election. IF the dems had run a good candidate they would have won.

I think they'll screw up again and run Hillary and many dems will not vote for her. If the republicans run the right person we will win again regardless of how people feel about Bush.

Don't underestimate the Clintons.

I remember back in '92, it didn't look like Bill had a chance against an incumbent Bush #41.

Pale Rider
08-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I would say that the failures of the Republican congress will have a bigger impact on Republican voters in 08 than anything Bush has done....

The Republican congress? Which one is that?

I think you mean the democrat controlled congress. You know... the one with the lowest approval rating in the history of this country. And they accomplished that record low approval rating in record time. Yup those dems... what a bunch of WINERS! Even their own parties people hate them.

The Republicans won't have to do anything complicated to win. Just stick to true conservative values, and they'll win. Bush has got nothing to do with it. obama bin laden and hitlery are the best the dems got, and they don't stand a snow balls chance in hell.