PDA

View Full Version : Norway Proposes 'Methane Credits' To Save Moose

stephanie
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
:tinfoil::cow:

OSLO, NORWAY - The Norwegian Environmental Ministry has proposed to initiate 'methane credits' to offset emissions from moose, the official national animal. A recent study revealed that a grown moose will emit 2100 kilos of carbon dioxide and 100 kilos of methane annually. Given that methane has 20 times the greenhouse effect as carbon dioxide, both gasses have an equally harmful effect on the environment.

"We feel it's necessary to do whatever it takes to save our beloved moose." said Lars Lunderfels, Assistant Environmental Ministry Secretary. "Under the current emissions trading protocol, we either buy credits for the surplus gasses or eliminate the source. Obviously, the latter cannot happen."
The proposed methane credits would be similar to carbon credits, which are already established and in use worldwide. A monetary value is placed on each ton of greenhouse gas, and countries that over-produce gasses would buy credits from countries that under-produce, negating the effects of the original emission.

"It's a fair system." says Imbiri Mfuena, Executive Director of the European Union Emission Trading Market. "We have already seen positive results in the low emission countries. I applaud Norway for stepping up their efforts. I'm confident we can quickly establish a value for methane and begin trading credits."

Preliminary estimates indicate the combined carbon and methane credits may run 2.3 billion euros (US$3.1 billion) per year. The Environmental Ministry is exploring several options to cover the cost. "Obviously we will raise the fee for the annual moose hunt, but we want to be careful not to make the hunt cost prohibitive." said Lunderfels. "The last thing we need is for the moose population to get out of control again. We may consider another tax on automobiles, but I'm not sure that there are enough people that still drive. Perhaps another cigarette tax may be in order."
http://www.dailyredundancy.com/archives/1035.html

08-24-2007, 03:21 AM
Is this a serious article? I cant believe that someone would actually believe something as natural as a moose living is going to destroy the environment.

KarlMarx
08-24-2007, 07:01 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/GDF/Z4014C~Rocky-and-Bullwinkle-Posters.jpg

I always thought the reason Bullwinkle was half buried in this picture was because he was taller. Actually, it was done to save his little pal from being suffocated with all of those noxious emissions!

P.S. It must be that methane is a good fertilizer.... look at the size of those marigolds!!!!!