PDA

View Full Version : 14-year-old boy uses legal quirk to run for Vermont governor

jimnyc
08-13-2018, 11:07 AM
He hasn't a hope in hell, but good on him for not liking what he is seeing, and wanting to go out and make change!

---

14-year-old boy uses legal quirk to run for Vermont governor

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — One of the four Vermont Democrats seeking the party nomination to run for governor in the fall election isn’t old enough to vote, let alone drive.

Ethan Sonneborn, 14, of Bristol, met the requirements to be on the primary ballot and is taking his place with the state’s more age-appropriate candidates on the Tuesday primary ballot, to say nothing of numerous candidate forums and debates.

“I think Vermonters should take me seriously because I have practical progressive ideas, and I happen to be 14, not the other way around,” Sonneborn said in a recent televised gubernatorial forum. “I think that my message and my platform transcend age.”

The Vermont Constitution doesn’t have an age requirement for people seeking the state’s highest office beyond having lived in the state for four years before the election. Sonneborn qualifies.

That apparent oversight by the state’s founders more than 225 years ago was enough to encourage the politically precocious teen to collect the signatures needed to place him on the primary ballot.

He said he’s always been fascinated with the concept of building coalitions. Robert F. Kennedy was the politician who most embodies that for him.

Sonneborn said his decision to run grew out of his frustration with state and national politics. The teen learned he could, and then decided to do so as a gut reaction to clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia, one year ago.

His July finance report shows Ethan has raised just over $1,700, not enough to make him competitive in a world where the successful candidates will undoubtedly have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more, for ads, mailings, staff and other miscellaneous political expenses before the November general election.

Even if he doesn’t have much money, Ethan has been on the stage with Vermont’s other Democratic candidates.

It might be a stretch, though, to call the other candidates traditional politicians.

Rest - https://apnews.com/24813c30397747a99ee2da3d8a19c026/14-year-old-boy-uses-legal-quirk-to-run-for-Vermont-governor

CSM
08-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Anyone want to place a bet that soon some teacher will come out of the woodwork and claim that she and the candidate had an illicit affair?