PDA

View Full Version : Why do people flash their brights when you pass them?

darin
02-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Twice in the past two days I've passed slower-moving vehicles and both times they flicky-flashed their bright headlights with a passion.

wtf? that supposed to make me decide to go back and get behind them again?

(sigh).

retiredman
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
it is a way of telling you that, if you are in the passing lane, that you are safe enough distance ahead of them to move back into the right hand lane.

Mr. P
02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
it is a way of telling you that, if you are in the passing lane, that you are safe enough distance ahead of them to move back into the right hand lane.

:thumb:

EDIT: I only do it with big trucks though.

Hobbit
02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I've never heard of doing that before. In Atlanta, we assume you can see what you're doing and if you act like you can't, you'll get an ear full of horn.

Roomy
02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
It means the same here in the real world only difference being we drive on the left.

KitchenKitten99
02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Twice in the past two days I've passed slower-moving vehicles and both times they flicky-flashed their bright headlights with a passion.

(sigh).

tail light out or lights working improperly (like your reverse lights are on or something)? Can't see how you would be able to deduce that is what they are trying to communicate, but people do weird things all over the country.
:dunno:

darin
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM

No - that's courteous flash. People here don't do that stuff. I'm talking about ANGRY flash.

They sometimes accompany the flashing with loud horn-blowing as I pass.

Hagbard Celine
02-01-2007, 03:04 PM

(sigh).

They're just expressing their contempt for your passing them. It's like giving the finger but at night.

darin
02-01-2007, 03:04 PM
tail light out or lights working improperly (like your reverse lights are on or something)? Can't see how you would be able to deduce that is what they are trying to communicate, but people do weird things all over the country.
:dunno:

My car's lights are flawless...maybe the phenom is just in OUR part of the country? :(

The ClayTaurus
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah I always flicky my brights when someone is trying to merge, especially in crowded traffic when i make room for them... but I think more often then not, their reaction is similar to Darin's, and it just confuses them.

18 wheelers know what's up, though.

The ClayTaurus
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
No - that's courteous flash. People here don't do that stuff. I'm talking about ANGRY flash.

They sometimes accompany the flashing with loud horn-blowing as I pass.Did you get to close to them from behind? What have I told you about getting too close to people's behinds?

Knock that shit off.

KitchenKitten99
02-01-2007, 03:07 PM
My car's lights are flawless...maybe the phenom is just in OUR part of the country? :(

i dunno, I have seen people driving and I watch them operate their brakes and gears and I have seen some messed up lights. For some reason, our caddy's LED lights only half light up when the car is in park, and in our driveway. Any other time, in park, drive, or whatever, they work just fine. :confused: We do have a ghost that dinks with our cars from time to time, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was the culprit.

Gaffer
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM

(sigh).

If they are doing it before you move back into the lane then they are just being courteous and signaling that's its safe to move back over.

If they do it after you have already moved back in the lane they are probably pissed because they felt you moved over too soon.

Also check to see if your brights were on when you were following them.

Insein
02-01-2007, 03:16 PM

No its more like, "How dare you pass me fucker." Ive seen it happen many times.

So many people drive like grandpa in the left lane. I give them about 2 minutes before im around them on the right. Then when i go around them, they somehow find the gas pedal because theyll be right on my ass, flashing their lights.

Im not a violent person but it took everything i had not to ram my car into this one guy. I was at a light and knew the timing of it. The guy next to me was in a Lexus or MErcedes SUV. He creeped out almost all the way into the intersection before the light changed when the turning lights were still on. When the light changed, i took off. I was way ahead then moved over to the middle lane. This guy comes flying up behind me, right up on my ass, flashing his lights. Then he gets in front of me and slows down on purpose. I try to go around him and he swerves to get in my way again. At this point i was about to just ram right into the back of him and send him off the fucking road. Then we came to a red light and what do i see but a girl in the passenger seat laughing at me. I swear it took everything i had not to get out of my car and smash their window in. And im a normal guy. If i had been a guy on a bad day or a guy with a bad temper, they'd have been dead easily.

Anyway, im off topic now. But it was a good story.

darin
02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Insein Nailed it. That's exactly what it is - it's the "how DARE you drive 48 in a 45, when I'm going 40!!!"

I think the answer to my question is "They flash their lights because they aren't carrying a gun."

This state as some of the MOST self-righteous driving pricks I've ever encountered.

jillian
02-01-2007, 03:20 PM

I'm with Insein on this one. It's a way of saying, how dare you pass me you *insert expletive here*. I call people like that the "speed limit police".

I hate people who do that.

darin
02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
...especially when they are going slower-than the speedlimit or worse, slower than the normal flow of traffic.

Yesterday I had a guy BAIT me. He was in front of me, and we both pulled onto a 55mph highway from a side road. When we both got out there on the road, he slowed to about 40mph. Wtf? Okay - sure...I pulled into the on-coming lane...just as SOON as the front of my truck got near his window, he GOT ON IT...luckily I was in the faster, more powerful truck and blew past him pretty easily.

Geesh. Scenarios like that are why I ENCOURAGE my wife, when she attempts to pass on a two-lane, to go WOT and hold it there until she's passed the guy.

jillian
02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
...especially when they are going slower-than the speedlimit or worse, slower than the normal flow of traffic.

Yesterday I had a guy BAIT me. He was in front of me, and we both pulled onto a 55mph highway from a side road. When we both got out there on the road, he slowed to about 40mph. Wtf? Okay - sure...I pulled into the on-coming lane...just as SOON as the front of my truck got near his window, he GOT ON IT...luckily I was in the faster, more powerful truck and blew past him pretty easily.

Geesh. Scenarios like that are why I ENCOURAGE my wife, when she attempts to pass on a two-lane, to go WOT and hold it there until she's passed the guy.

Carriers in the world of accidents, aren't they?

My favorite is when you're driving in yhe left lane behind one of those dimbulbs and the car to your right is just close enough to your rear bumper where you can't move over. They move up... fall back... move up... fall back... but never enough to let you by. Sometimes the thought of weaponry attached to the car is very compelling. :dunno:

We just saw this documentary on the Auto Bahn. Seems with our speed limits, we have far more accidents than they do, even having none. I think a good part of the reason is the concept of (and I forget the German word) "Drive Right". They pull you over and ticket you if you're in the fast lanes and keeping people from passing. Of course, when there *is* an accident on the Auto Bahn, they have to lift the car off with a helicopter because there isn't anything left..... :eek:

darin
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
SHH! Jilli!! the states COUNT On the revenue from speeding tickets - while shouting bald-faced LIES like 'Speed Kills!"

The Media furthers this with their bs-meaningless add-on to accident reporting..."...and Speed WAS a factor.."

Yeah - okay numbnuts - SPEED was a factor...so was the fact the guy was talking on a cell phone while reading a book and getting a blowjob...

:(

jillian
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
SHH! Jilli!! the states COUNT On the revenue from speeding tickets - while shouting bald-faced LIES like 'Speed Kills!"

The Media furthers this with their bs-meaningless add-on to accident reporting..."...and Speed WAS a factor.."

Yeah - okay numbnuts - SPEED was a factor...so was the fact the guy was talking on a cell phone while reading a book and getting a blowjob...

:(

No argument. That was the other thing they said.... that in Europe, the act of driving is THE act... not like here where people do everything else while they drive. They blamed it on the creation of coffee holders for cars; said it changed the concept of driving.

Gaffer
02-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Insein Nailed it. That's exactly what it is - it's the "how DARE you drive 48 in a 45, when I'm going 40!!!"

I think the answer to my question is "They flash their lights because they aren't carrying a gun."

This state as some of the MOST self-righteous driving pricks I've ever encountered.

As long as they are not sanctimonious pricks :thumb:

KitchenKitten99
02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Sometimes the thought of weaponry attached to the car is very compelling. :dunno:

I know it isn't the same as weaponry, but this is my solution, just got it yesterday:
http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?P=46&G=381&Kwd=license%20plate&Item=403057-3LCP&Page=1

jillian
02-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I know it isn't the same as weaponry, but this is my solution, just got it yesterday:
http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?P=46&G=381&Kwd=license%20plate&Item=403057-3LCP&Page=1

Cool toy!!!

KitchenKitten99
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Cool toy!!!
yep... i have several phrases already programmed... :dev:

jillian
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
yep... i have several phrases already programmed... :dev:

I bet! I can think of a few I'd program in myself. :beer:

jackass
02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Down here when they see you coming in the fast lane, they like to move over in front of you and take their time passing. Drives me up a wall!!

JimmyAteWorld
02-02-2007, 02:04 PM
No its more like, "How dare you pass me fucker." Ive seen it happen many times.

So many people drive like grandpa in the left lane. I give them about 2 minutes before im around them on the right. Then when i go around them, they somehow find the gas pedal because theyll be right on my ass, flashing their lights.

I hate that. Wichita Falls, Texas has got to be the worst. There's no light flashing or anything like that, but there is this childishness about being in front of them. If you pass them in the other lane, they are fine. If you look like you are actually going to get over a lane and dare to be in front of them in their lane... Oh no, that can't happen. They speed up just enough where you can't get over. Delivery driving was a bitch in that town.

dirt mcgirt
02-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Am I the only one that knows it's "Flash Your Brights If You See A Queer" Week?

5stringJeff
02-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Am I the only one that knows it's "Flash Your Brights If You See A Queer" Week?

:lol: :lmao:

TheStripey1
02-02-2007, 06:04 PM

They sometimes accompany the flashing with loud horn-blowing as I pass.

:eek: Yikes... :eek:

I'm new here... where ya from, dmp?

TheStripey1
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Cool... but it's sold out...