PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul’s bid to defund Planned Parenthood

jimnyc
08-24-2018, 12:46 PM
The government is effed up and needs fixing. This has been one of the biggest problems for the longest of times. Funding things are always shoved into bigger funding deals, and getting things done relies on funding things for shitheads that won't vote otherwise. We've all been held hostage via this manner for a long long time. So many little pet projects and from both sides. Nothing gets done in such instances unless everyone is happy and gets their little ways.

As for "me" and this particular issue. I'm not asking that they get shut down, or that abortions should be illegal or anything like that. But I don't think that "I" should be held accountable somehow, that I have to help pay for this somehow.

---

Rand Paul’s bid to defund Planned Parenthood

This story was updated Friday to show the Senate vote against Sen. Rand Paul’s effort to defund Planned Parenthood.

By a vote of 45 to 48, his amendment was rejected. It would have would barred Planned Parenthood and other abortion outlets from receiving federal funding.

The Kentucky senator late last week signaled that he would offer an amendment to the appropriations bill funding the departments of Labor and Health and Human Services, the relevant legislative vehicle for the Planned Parenthood funding ban.

Paul said in a statement that his effort was being blocked by leadership, but they rejected that claim and he did get a vote Thursday.

President Trump has proposed cutting funds to Planned Parenthood. The agency gets federal funds for its women’s health care but not abortion, though polls suggest that Republicans want the money train ended because it does abortion or refers to others that do.

A recent McLaughlin & Associates survey found that a plurality -- 48 percent -- support cutting funds.

In a statement announcing his amendment, Paul said, “One of the top priorities for a Republican Congress that professes pro-life values on the campaign trail should be to stop taxpayer funding for abortion providers.” He added, “This is our chance to turn our words into action, stand up for the sanctity of life, and speak out for the most innocent among us that have no voice.”

Rest - https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/gop-blocks-rand-pauls-bid-to-defund-planned-parenthood