PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Have a Cookware Preference?

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 01:34 PM
I think I've tried just about everything there is out there short of the ridiculously high priced stuff, but I have this 10/11" Oxo frying pan with a lid and I liked it. I'm doing dishes just now and notice that in a bunch of places the non stick is starting flake off and the damn thing isn't that old, and I have never, ever had anything in it that would have nicked it, and I don't stack anything on it and I wash it alone. Needless to say I don't want to buy another Oxo. Also have a Calphalon large skillet and it isn't bad, love my Calphalon stainless steel fry pan and all my cast iron, but I like to have a couple good non stick so I'm wondering what others here use and what their experiences have been.

I have several sauce pans / pots that are Paula Dean non stick, and those have worn like iron. I'd recommend those to anyone. I was really pissed when walfuck decided to stop selling Paula Dean cookware. I've cut back my shopping at walmart since then. I buy everything I possibly can locally before I make a trip to walmart to buy anything.

Kathianne
08-25-2018, 02:25 PM
I really like All-Clad cookware. It is expensive, only get a piece that I want when it's on sale. I don't use non-stick finishes.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 03:10 PM
I really like All-Clad cookware. It is expensive, only get a piece that I want when it's on sale. I don't use non-stick finishes.
Ah yes, All-Clad, pricey but great stuff. I thought my stainless steel was Calphalon but it's T-Fal. Great pan, I love it. Made out of 18/10 stainless steel, as good as you can get.

I might try the All-Clad non stick though. Like this 3 pan set on Amazon, gets fantastic reviews and that's hard to do. Seems people will nit pick anything but these get great reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-HA1-Nonstick-Set-Skillets/dp/B0772ZRBL4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1535227599&sr=8-9&keywords=al+clad#customerReviews

Abbey Marie
08-25-2018, 04:35 PM
I’ve had T-Fal non stick for over a decade. No issues.

Elessar
08-25-2018, 04:53 PM
I have some T-fal which is good.

But I also have a full set of Revere Wear Pots and Pans that is stainless
with copper bottoms. The copper bottoms cut down on cooking time, it seems.

Beware of some of those cheaper teflon-lined skillets. I found if you use cooking spray
on them, it will cause the teflon coating to loosen and peel.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 05:09 PM
I have some T-fal which is good.

But I also have a full set of Revere Wear Pots and Pans that is stainless
with copper bottoms. The copper bottoms cut down on cooking time, it seems.

Beware of some of those cheaper teflon-lined skillets. I found if you use cooking spray
on them, it will cause the teflon coating to loosen and peel.
Yeah I remember when non stick first came out, everything was teflon. The non stick got better over time and I think they use a lot of different stuff now. I wouldn't buy the ceramic coated non stick because they get pathetic reviews. People say they're great the first couple times you use them and then something happens and everything sticks, horrible.

Never heard of this brand... gets pretty dang good reviews... might be a worth a try...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ16?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAN9B

Abbey Marie
08-25-2018, 05:14 PM
Yeah I remember when non stick first came out, everything was teflon. The non stick got better over time and I think they use a lot of different stuff now. I wouldn't buy the ceramic coated non stick because they get pathetic reviews. People say they're great the first couple times you use them and then something happens and everything sticks, horrible.

Never heard of this brand... gets pretty dang good reviews... might be a worth a try...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HBKQ16?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAN9B

I have one small pan by that brand. Also seems fine, but I’ve only had it less than a year, and don’t use it that much.

Gunny
08-25-2018, 05:24 PM
I’ve had T-Fal non stick for over a decade. No issues.That's the brand I usually go for. Not top of the line nor bottom of the line cheap crap. I've had no issues except the first one I had I scratched up cooking my eggs with a fork. But then, I just told you WHO the problem was there :laugh:

jimnyc
08-25-2018, 05:39 PM
You can all thank me another time! Now my wife likes all that expensive fancy schmancy non-stick pans and an iron skillet thingy and all that - coming from the guy who is in charge of doing the dishes...

Some great stuff right here, and at a very reasonable cost, and just so much easier to clean.

https://i.imgur.com/yNoWCQs.jpg

Gunny
08-25-2018, 05:45 PM
You can all thank me another time! Now my wife likes all that expensive fancy schmancy non-stick pans and an iron skillet thingy and all that - coming from the guy who is in charge of doing the dishes...

Some great stuff right here, and at a very reasonable cost, and just so much easier to clean.

https://i.imgur.com/yNoWCQs.jpgYep paper plates. Greatest invention EVER. I didn't mention since it wasn't there yet but I eat like a jarhead. If I'm cooking for me? I'll eat right out of the pan or pot so I don't have to wash a freakin' plate. We didn't have dishes in the field. Canteen cup, (steel pot back in the day) fork, knife and a John Wayne.

And yes, I WILL eat straight out of the can if I REALLY don't want to do dishes :)

jimnyc
08-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Yep paper plates. Greatest invention EVER. I didn't mention since it wasn't there yet but I eat like a jarhead. If I'm cooking for me? I'll eat right out of the pan or pot so I don't have to wash a freakin' plate. We didn't have dishes in the field. Canteen cup, (steel pot back in the day) fork, knife and a John Wayne.

And yes, I WILL eat straight out of the can if I REALLY don't want to do dishes :)

Meat to grill. Grill to paper plate. Meat into fat face. Done!

Gunny
08-25-2018, 06:30 PM
Meat to grill. Grill to paper plate. Meat into fat face. Done!I used to grill all the time. SILs grill. If one thing goes wrong with that thing I'd never hear the end of it.

I keep meaning to get a little one-two person grill like they used to make Hibachi's (haven't seen one of those in years). And did I tell you about the quickie, jarhead BBQ grill?:)

6 rocks/bricks/ one confiscated oven or contrived rack, shovel, box of matches, mogas and "liberated" meat (and yes, I DO know how to light the gas without blowing my face off) :)

Abbey Marie
08-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Gotta love guys. My BIL told me that when he was a bachelor, he was too lazy to ever empty the dishwasher. So he’d put his dirty plate and silverware into the full-of-clean-dishes dishwasher after dinner every night, and just rerun the already 98% clean dishes over and over.
:coffee:

Gunny
08-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Gotta love guys. My BIL told me that when he was a bachelor, he was too lazy to ever empty the dishwasher. So he’d put his dirty plate and silverware into the full-of-clean-dishes dishwasher after dinner every night, and just rerun the already 98% clean dishes over and over.
:coffee:That's funny :laugh: I wash dishes. THAT is why I love paper plates :) I wash by hand. I don't like nor trust dishwashers. It was just me and Ash, then me and Susan for so long we didn't have enough dishes to go round for just 2 people to fill a dishwasher. I would NEVER let dirty dishes sit that long.

Now I should use the dishwasher but that "old man" thing keeps biting me in the butt :)

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Yep paper plates. Greatest invention EVER. I didn't mention since it wasn't there yet but I eat like a jarhead. If I'm cooking for me? I'll eat right out of the pan or pot so I don't have to wash a freakin' plate. We didn't have dishes in the field. Canteen cup, (steel pot back in the day) fork, knife and a John Wayne.

Yup, paper plates all the way. Been using them for decades. I do splurge for the more rigid ones though. I usually use the same glass over and over too, just rinse it out when I'm done with it. The only thing I go through like crazy is my pots and pans and silverware. I do like to cook, and I've trying to pare down recipes so I'm only cooking for one, unless I want the leftovers.

Watching some vids and it looks like Kathianne with her All-Clad is the winner. I just might try and ween myself off non stick all together. I have known that All-Clad is high quality stuff but it's been the price that's held me back, but if a pan lasts virtually forever, then it's actually worth the money, and cheaper in the long run. I do occasionally cook something that I want to finish in the oven, so it's good to have an all metal pan. Some say you can put these pans with the plastic kind of handles in the oven but I just don't trust that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1atGnmJKmTc

SassyLady
08-25-2018, 10:22 PM
I have copper bottom Reverewear and Paula Dean. I don't like to cook all that much so not too particular.

Kathianne
08-25-2018, 11:01 PM
I have copper bottom Reverewear and Paula Dean. I don't like to cook all that much so not too particular.

I liked the Reverewear my mom had, what I got in 1980 was not as heavy. It did clean up nicely though.

Kathianne
08-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Yup, paper plates all the way. Been using them for decades. I do splurge for the more rigid ones though. I usually use the same glass over and over too, just rinse it out when I'm done with it. The only thing I go through like crazy is my pots and pans and silverware. I do like to cook, and I've trying to pare down recipes so I'm only cooking for one, unless I want the leftovers.

Watching some vids and it looks like Kathianne with her All-Clad is the winner. I just might try and ween myself off non stick all together. I have known that All-Clad is high quality stuff but it's been the price that's held me back, but if a pan lasts virtually forever, then it's actually worth the money, and cheaper in the long run. I do occasionally cook something that I want to finish in the oven, so it's good to have an all metal pan. Some say you can put these pans with the plastic kind of handles in the oven but I just don't trust that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1atGnmJKmTc

All-Clad does go on sale, I've grabbed huge savings at both Amazon and Macy's. If you buy, also grab Barkeeper's Friend, best cleaner ever made for Cookware.

Gunny
08-25-2018, 11:13 PM
All-Clad does go on sale, I've grabbed huge savings at both Amazon and Macy's. If you buy, also grab Barkeeper's Friend, best cleaner ever made for Cookware.Y'all are way too deep into pots n pans :laugh:

Too bad Dis doesn't post here anymore. I swear she must have everything ever invented to cook with. From what I gather from her, her kitchen is the biggest part of her house and off limits to men :)

Just thought I'd say hi. School seems to be keeping you busy.

Kathianne
08-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Y'all are way too deep into pots n pans :laugh:

Too bad Dis doesn't post here anymore. I swear she must have everything ever invented to cook with. From what I gather from her, her kitchen is the biggest part of her house and off limits to men :)

Just thought I'd say hi. School seems to be keeping you busy.

School is keeping me out of trouble. ;)

High_Plains_Drifter
08-26-2018, 04:29 PM
School is keeping me out of trouble. ;)
When I was young, high school, I was always in trouble. In college, I was well behaved and on the high honor roll.

There's something to be said about the wisdom that comes from age, and not school.

Kathianne
08-26-2018, 06:38 PM
When I was young, high school, I was always in trouble. In college, I was well behaved and on the high honor roll.

There's something to be said with the wisdom that comes from age, and not school.

Shoot, I guess I should cancel the plan for cherry bomb in toilet? LOL!

High_Plains_Drifter
08-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Nice.............. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/animated-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

STTAB
03-07-2019, 10:29 AM
As usual I'm late to the party. I love different cookware for different situations. I like the new red copper for non stick, I love my stainless steel, and I love to cook with cast iron.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 06:01 PM
As usual I'm late to the party. I love different cookware for different situations. I like the new red copper for non stick, I love my stainless steel, and I love to cook with cast iron.
I have some nice cast iron pans, and stainless steal... but I find I'm always reaching for the nonstick. I don't fry a whole lot of stuff, and the few things I do fry I surely don't want to stick.

The All Clad are about the best pots and pans made, but holy cow are they pricey.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 06:02 PM
See, Kathianne and I used to be friends... until Trump got elected.

Bilgerat
01-30-2020, 12:19 PM
I'm late to the party too, but here it is;

I bought some pricy teflon, watched the shit come off after a while. Frak that crap, went to stainless steel and dug out my old cast iron.

The Lady will NOT use the cast iron, she's afraid of my comments I guess (lol). But she loves her old Farberware stainless steel pan!

Kathianne
01-30-2020, 12:44 PM
I'm late to the party too, but here it is;

I bought some pricy teflon, watched the shit come off after a while. Frak that crap, went to stainless steel and dug out my old cast iron.

The Lady will NOT use the cast iron, she's afraid of my comments I guess (lol). But she loves her old Farberware stainless steel pan!
Sounds about the same as myself. I love cast iron, but it's SOOO heavy I save it for steaks for the most part. I had Farberware and some Revereware years ago, slowly replaced with All Clad.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2020, 03:29 PM
It is heavy, but I do really like my Le Creuset Dutch Oven for my soups and chowders and stews.

Hot Dogger
01-30-2020, 06:42 PM
I love my Revereware pans and with just a little butter they're non-stick.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-31-2020, 02:05 PM
It is heavy, but I do really like my Le Creuset Dutch Oven for my soups and chowders and stews.
For you and the others that mentioned T-Fal, I did order the T-Fal Ultimate, which is still a very affordable pan, from Amazon and LOVE it. Has a lid, and truly, NOTHING sticks to it, and it heats really even. I've made over easy eggs, pan cakes and whatnot in it with NO oil or butter, and stuff just slides right out.

MtnBiker
01-18-2021, 11:25 AM
I use a lot of Lodge cookware. Heavy duty, long lasting. I can go from the stove top to the oven if I want. I have an induction cook top, so it works well with that, can’t use aluminum. Also Lodge is made in the USA. I say away from Teflon, it always seems to fail, peels off. I do believe most cookware with a thick gauge will serve you well, good heat distribution. It is also important to use the right size pan for the amount of food you are cooking, don’t crowd the pan but also not have to little in a big pan.

Bilgerat
01-18-2021, 01:09 PM
The "Bonus Son" bought us a Blackstone flat top. Been seeing a LOT of use ;)

MtnBiker
01-18-2021, 07:21 PM
The "Bonus Son" bought us a Blackstone flat top. Been seeing a LOT of use ;)
That’s awesome, I would love to have a Blackstone.

icansayit
01-18-2021, 10:44 PM
Since I have been doing most of the cooking since she had her stroke. There's nothing I like better than the 3 PIECE CAST IRON like in the photo.

Gets hot, stays hot, always easy to clean, and can pour all liquids/grease easily too! BACON & EGGS best.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/816x9Ot7OXS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And, if you have to travel...they are easy to take along.

LongTermGuy
01-18-2021, 10:58 PM
Since I have been doing most of the cooking since she had her stroke. There's nothing I like better than the 3 PIECE CAST IRON like in the photo.

Gets hot, stays hot, always easy to clean, and can pour all liquids/grease easily too! BACON & EGGS best.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/816x9Ot7OXS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And, if you have to travel...they are easy to take along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjQZ5z5A2Q&feature=emb_logo