PDA

View Full Version : Trump angers DC, after flag no longer at half staff for McCain

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 12:52 PM
I guess his thinking here is, they weren't buddies, he's excluded from the funeral, so he went strictly by the code and flew the flag at half staff after his death.

But I think he could have and should have - extended the half staff lowering until his various places of laying in state are over, and his funeral has taken place and he's buried. While I didn't end up liking him over time, he more than earned his place in history. He has more than earned the right to have that flag honor him for an entire week. I do think it was a rather petty decision to raise it back up so quickly, even if according to code. Quite a few others have had the flag remain lowered for an extended time.

I don't know, I read the code and he went strictly by that code. But it's been done before, and that's why I think it most certainly should have been done here. I know he's not well liked by some here, but he is considered an American hero from his time in the military, and then he did work in government for the next 4 decades, for better or worse at times. I think that deserves acknowledgement.

---

Donald Trump Angers Washington, After Flag No Longer at Half Staff for John McCain

The White House flag is no longer at half-staff to honor the death of Sen. John McCain, driving President Donald Trump’s critics crazy.

The flag was lowered to half-staff on the day of McCain’s death and the following day as established by the federal code.

http://www.dpimagehosting.com/images/2018/08/27/oSjK5B3.png

Senate leaders Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell urged the Pentagon to lower their flags until McCain is buried, according to a Schumer spokesman.

http://www.dpimagehosting.com/images/2018/08/27/Qo48EtA.png

McCain’s burial is scheduled for Sunday at the Naval academy.

Traditionally, presidents issue a proclamation to extend the period of time where the flags are flown at half-staff after the death of a member of Congress.

Former President Barack Obama ordered the flags to be lowered for an extended period of time to honor the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy and Sen. Robert Byrd.

Frequent Trump critics used the occasion to signal their disgust with the president.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/08/27/donald-trump-angers-washington-after-flag-no-longer-at-half-staff-for-john-mccain/

aboutime
08-27-2018, 01:22 PM
If all of the whiner Politicians can complain so much about the Flag over the White House, demanding it should be at Half Staff....Why were all of those same Whiny Politicians so quiet,
Like CRICKETS, during the past few Football Seasons, when all of the Kneeling, and Disrespect was taking place every Sunday...On NATIONAL TELEVISION NETWORKS????

DOUBLE-STANDARDS ANYONE??

https://thefederalistpapers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/KaepVsTebow.jpg

pete311
08-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Remember the outrage when Obama wore a tan suit?

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Remember the outrage when Obama wore a tan suit?

What does that have to do with the flag and McCain?

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 01:38 PM
If all of the whiner Politicians can complain so much about the Flag over the White House, demanding it should be at Half Staff....Why were all of those same Whiny Politicians so quiet,
Like CRICKETS, during the past few Football Seasons, when all of the Kneeling, and Disrespect was taking place every Sunday...On NATIONAL TELEVISION NETWORKS????

DOUBLE-STANDARDS ANYONE??

Ya know, I didn't look at that angle. I still think the flag should remain at half staff. But it does show me some hypocrisy I missed. That is correct - folks were ALL ABOUT RESPECT in allowing these men to protest as they see fit. What was done with the flag or anthem mattered not to them in the slightest. And now, the flag and honors, tradition, is what they want, what they demand. You are correct, AT.

pete311
08-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Denise Rohan, the American Legion commander to Trump:"I strongly urge you to make an appropriate presidential proclamation noting Sen. McCain’s death and legacy of service to our nation, and that our nation’s flag be half-staffed through his interment."

pete311
08-27-2018, 02:05 PM
McCain's last statement to citizens. Incredible.
https://www.weeklystandard.com/mccain-thank-you-for-the-privilege-of-serving-you

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 02:05 PM
I agree with her.

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 02:11 PM
McCain's last statement to citizens. Incredible.
https://www.weeklystandard.com/mccain-thank-you-for-the-privilege-of-serving-you

Wow. It's gotta be tough to write your own obituary of sorts. I'm glad he chose the highest of highest roads in his final speech to America, to try and join people, instead of one least punch, or anything to separate people. Class.

What I liked the best:

“We are 325 million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 02:15 PM
I see that apparently he did take a jab, I didn't see it, that makes comment about hiding behind walls. Meh, I'll overlook it. I still think it was a class gesture.

pete311
08-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Even though we get straight nasty here sometimes, I have no doubt we'd all get along and have a blast at a local pub.

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Even though we get straight nasty here sometimes, I have no doubt we'd all get along and have a blast at a local pub.

Probably. I may have to smack ya a few times, maybe drunkenly put ya in a headlock for a spell. But I'd still happily buy the drinks, and I may even apologize in the morning! :thumb:

aboutime
08-27-2018, 02:33 PM
The ONE, and ONLY Flag put back to Full Mast...was....WAIT FOR IT....The White House.

Every other American Flag was Authorized, by the Hated President, to FLY at Half Staff until the conclusion of Senator McCain's Interment.

The President has done no wrong (AGAIN). The White House Represents ALL OF THE PEOPLE, and the President knows...Not ALL OF THE PEOPLE, are mourning his passing in the same way.

Senator McCain will get FULL FEDERAL HONORS. Despite all of the MISERABLE Liars who blame the President for THEIR FAILURE to put a LYING WITCH in the White House.

PERIOD. Now, stop all of the bullcrap, and start being concerned about more Important things.
P.S. If I sound like I am defending the President. Absolutely Correct. After eight years of a Lying, Crooked President named Obama. I finally join other Americans who are ONCE AGAIN....Proud of our President.

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 03:02 PM
That's what I had thought I read, AT, that it would remain half at the capitol and everywhere else, just not at the WH - and that apparently that is exactly what the code calls for. Like I said, I have mixed feelings on this one, and it would appear that the more and more and more I read, the more I find out that he did the right thing. All that's left is whether or not he could have or should have left the WH flag at half, since it was done by others for others.

But the more I read, the more I see that what he did was acceptable. Now, I'm all for McCain getting recognized and having a dignified funeral at all of his wished upon places. Then I have no issue all the way around. I was not aware originally that the flags around government out side the WH all will remain at half. :salute:

aboutime
08-27-2018, 03:19 PM
That's what I had thought I read, AT, that it would remain half at the capitol and everywhere else, just not at the WH - and that apparently that is exactly what the code calls for. Like I said, I have mixed feelings on this one, and it would appear that the more and more and more I read, the more I find out that he did the right thing. All that's left is whether or not he could have or should have left the WH flag at half, since it was done by others for others.

But the more I read, the more I see that what he did was acceptable. Now, I'm all for McCain getting recognized and having a dignified funeral at all of his wished upon places. Then I have no issue all the way around. I was not aware originally that the flags around government out side the WH all will remain at half. :salute:

There is a circle of 50 FLAGS around the Washington Monument.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxHLnWR3yx2xHcRqtDqjDil7O0WOGtB lNQHApjg1QHdOZL9wPj
And ALL 50 Are At Half Staff (better known as Half Mast...in the Navy)

jimnyc
08-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Looks like Trump was reading the board and listened to me. Good move in reversing course. Nothing wrong with making a mistake if you're willing to change.

White House returns flag to half staff after backlash

Facing a national outpouring of scorn, the White House relented Monday afternoon and once again lowered flags on the grounds to half staff in honor of the late Sen. John McCain.

The flags had been raised to full staff earlier Monday, after being lowered for only a few days to mark the death of McCain.

But politicians from both sides of the aisle as well as national leaders of veterans’ groups, slammed President Trump in protest, calling the commander-in-chief vindictive and petty.
The White House typically honors deceased lawmakers by keeping the building’s flags at half-staff until their funerals, according to The Hill.

But that requires a presidential proclamation, and Trump didn’t issue one.

The move comes shortly after the American Legion and other veterans organizations had blasted Trump.

“Mr. President, just this year, you released presidential proclamations noting the deaths of Barbara Bush and Billy Graham,” Denise Rohan, the national commander of the American Legion, said in a public letter to the president Monday.

“Sen. McCain was an American hero and cherished member of The American Legion. As I’m certain you are aware, he served five and a half years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam and retired from the US Navy at the rank of Captain. He then served in the U.S. Congress for more than three decades.”

Rest - https://nypost.com/2018/08/27/white-house-returns-flag-to-half-staff-after-backlash/

Elessar
08-27-2018, 06:20 PM
I am going to take a chance and suggest that Pres. Trump just did not know better
and followed the "Flag Code'.

I am glad the American Legion and other Vet's groups, said "Wait a Minute"!

Gunny
08-27-2018, 08:58 PM
My take: 24 hours no matter who. I think the "who" matters too. We lower the flag to half mast if the Postmaster's dog croaks. It cheapens the meaning of the act. I think the same about it as I do the over/misuse of "hero" and "superstar". What's everyone else? A loser?

A sitting US Senator? Sure. But for an indeterminate amount of time? Nah.

Elessar
08-27-2018, 11:30 PM
My take: 24 hours no matter who. I think the "who" matters too. We lower the flag to half mast if the Postmaster's dog croaks. It cheapens the meaning of the act. I think the same about it as I do the over/misuse of "hero" and "superstar". What's everyone else? A loser?

A sitting US Senator? Sure. But for an indeterminate amount of time? Nah.

Partially right, I think.

Silver Star, Bronze Star, POW Medal...Navy O-6.

Congressman and Senator for 30+ years.

Like him or not, he and his legacy deserve the honor.

Gunny
08-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Partially right, I think.

Silver Star, Bronze Star, POW Medal...Navy O-6.

Congressman and Senator for 30+ years.

Like him or not, he and his legacy deserve the honor.I did not say he shouldn't be honored. I said he shouldn't be honored any more or less than anyone else who served.

The rest can be argued in a different thread at a different time. I am no fan of McCain's and have been rather outspoken about it. His dying did not change my opinion of him or his service.

Nor does it being McCain have anything to do with my professional opinion on rendering Honors. You deserve them or not, and there should be no pecking order nor altering the rule because one's name is bigger than another's.

aboutime
08-28-2018, 09:48 PM
I did not say he shouldn't be honored. I said he shouldn't be honored any more or less than anyone else who served.

The rest can be argued in a different thread at a different time. I am no fan of McCain's and have been rather outspoken about it. His dying did not change my opinion of him or his service.

Nor does it being McCain have anything to do with my professional opinion on rendering Honors. You deserve them or not, and there should be no pecking order nor altering the rule because one's name is bigger than another's.

It is great that McCain is being honored this way. BUT...I still remember the names of SIX High School friends of mine who were Never Shown such honors with Half Staff.
Their only salute, and Honor remains on a WALL in Washington, D.C.
I was the sole member of the group who joined the Navy. Tell me now...how I should feel about someone because he was a POW, Officer, Flyer, and Senator. He had the same color blood pumping through his veins as my SIX fallen friends...FOR LIFE.:saluting2:

LongTermGuy
08-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Looks like Trump was reading the board and listened to me. Good move in reversing course. Nothing wrong with making a mistake if you're willing to change.

White House returns flag to half staff after backlash

Facing a national outpouring of scorn, the White House relented Monday afternoon and once again lowered flags on the grounds to half staff in honor of the late Sen. John McCain.

The flags had been raised to full staff earlier Monday, after being lowered for only a few days to mark the death of McCain.

But politicians from both sides of the aisle as well as national leaders of veterans’ groups, slammed President Trump in protest, calling the commander-in-chief vindictive and petty.
The White House typically honors deceased lawmakers by keeping the building’s flags at half-staff until their funerals, according to The Hill.

But that requires a presidential proclamation, and Trump didn’t issue one.

The move comes shortly after the American Legion and other veterans organizations had blasted Trump.

“Mr. President, just this year, you released presidential proclamations noting the deaths of Barbara Bush and Billy Graham,” Denise Rohan, the national commander of the American Legion, said in a public letter to the president Monday.

“Sen. McCain was an American hero and cherished member of The American Legion. As I’m certain you are aware, he served five and a half years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam and retired from the US Navy at the rank of Captain. He then served in the U.S. Congress for more than three decades.”

Rest - https://nypost.com/2018/08/27/white-house-returns-flag-to-half-staff-after-

backlash/ (https://nypost.com/2018/08/27/white-house-returns-flag-to-half-staff-after-backlash/)

Trump watches...Listens...learns.. and knows how to play the Game (knows how things "can" turn out)...especially this sensitive issue...which the left and Trump haters would >>love to use<< against him...

Trump already understands... most in the know...Know about McCain....now that he finally moved on...it pays to be nice...he is gone and caint do anymore harm to the American people...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCr9kghVwAAoaJW.jpg

ATTENTION RESISITANCE SHEEPHOW do you still think President Donald Trump (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump) randomly tweets?

When will you figure out his tweets are a "tip off"...He has the "goods" on Google (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Google?src=hash) and other things...just like he already had the proof on the Trump Tower wiretaps....

silly sheep......
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlthYCIVAAApMOc.jpg

STTAB
08-29-2018, 08:13 AM
STTAB is back, tell a friend

Anyway screw John McCain , but god damn Trump has to stop with these unforced errors. Surely someone in the WH told him "look lowering the flag is just political, the old sumbitch is dead, just pander a little here?" Of course the flag should have remained at half staff, a long time US Senator and more importantly a genuine war hero died. I respect the hell out of the latter, even if I believe he was a pile of shit as a Senator.

STTAB
08-29-2018, 01:17 PM
The ONE, and ONLY Flag put back to Full Mast...was....WAIT FOR IT....The White House.

Every other American Flag was Authorized, by the Hated President, to FLY at Half Staff until the conclusion of Senator McCain's Interment.

The President has done no wrong (AGAIN). The White House Represents ALL OF THE PEOPLE, and the President knows...Not ALL OF THE PEOPLE, are mourning his passing in the same way.

Senator McCain will get FULL FEDERAL HONORS. Despite all of the MISERABLE Liars who blame the President for THEIR FAILURE to put a LYING WITCH in the White House.

PERIOD. Now, stop all of the bullcrap, and start being concerned about more Important things.
P.S. If I sound like I am defending the President. Absolutely Correct. After eight years of a Lying, Crooked President named Obama. I finally join other Americans who are ONCE AGAIN....Proud of our President.

This is, of course, true, but it was a mistake to lower that particular flag even, obviously not a violation of any code, but a political mistake, and when Trump continually mistakes these sort of mistakes, it gives fuel to those who thinks he does so on purpose. It just looks like he's thumbing his nose at a dead McCain.. There is no reason for that, keeping that flag at half mast would have cost him NOTHING

High_Plains_Drifter
08-29-2018, 02:10 PM
This is, of course, true, but it was a mistake to lower that particular flag even, obviously not a violation of any code, but a political mistake, and when Trump continually mistakes these sort of mistakes, it gives fuel to those who thinks he does so on purpose. It just looks like he's thumbing his nose at a dead McCain.. There is no reason for that, keeping that flag at half mast would have cost him NOTHING
President Trump hasn't made many "mistakes," just look at how well this nation is doing. He's literally worked miracles reviving our economy and creating jobs, and he's trying to drain the swamp. But he's only a man, and no man is perfect. He deserves the same sort of "give him the benefit of the doubt" that any other man does. We all know the kenyan muslim America hating dog turd obama did his best to destroy this nation, and the democrat propaganda wing groveled at his feet and licked his ass and looked the other way CONSTANTLY. The double standard is GLARING.

aboutime
08-29-2018, 07:47 PM

Let's put it this way, and close the story down. We should ask for a SHOW OF HANDS, from those who actually thought, or whined about the Flag..."Did TRUMP lower the flag?" "NO!"

He loves to keep TWEEKING the left. I don't believe he did this intentionally. Somebody took it upon themselves, as a means of Making LIBERALS feel like they have just been given "WEDGIES" and it is something else for them to Whine About...while MAXIPAD Waters, and Her Brain-dead fans, keep wondering how to Spell, Talk, Read, and Lie to the AMERICAN people who WON'T BELIEVE HER!
I see all of this as a Lucky Moment for John McCain. He no longer has to put up with ANY of the WASHINGTON Idiots who double crossed him, as the HYPOCRITES they really are.

STTAB
08-30-2018, 11:14 AM
President Trump hasn't made many "mistakes," just look at how well this nation is doing. He's literally worked miracles reviving our economy and creating jobs, and he's trying to drain the swamp. But he's only a man, and no man is perfect. He deserves the same sort of "give him the benefit of the doubt" that any other man does. We all know the kenyan muslim America hating dog turd obama did his best to destroy this nation, and the democrat propaganda wing groveled at his feet and licked his ass and looked the other way CONSTANTLY. The double standard is GLARING.

Of course there was and is a double standard from the mentally ill left on how they treated Obama who was without question the worst President this country has ever had.

This doesn't change the fact that there have been MANY instances in which Trump has stepped on his own dick with unforced errors that just give those idiots more material to cry about.

Lowering this flag was just one such thing.

LongTermGuy
08-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Let's put it this way, and close the story down. We should ask for a SHOW OF HANDS, from those who actually thought, or whined about the Flag..."Did TRUMP lower the flag?" "NO!"

He loves to keep TWEEKING the left. I don't believe he did this intentionally. Somebody took it upon themselves, as a means of Making LIBERALS feel like they have just been given "WEDGIES" and it is something else for them to Whine About...while MAXIPAD Waters, and Her Brain-dead fans, keep wondering how to Spell, Talk, Read, and Lie to the AMERICAN people who WON'T BELIEVE HER!
I see all of this as a Lucky Moment for John McCain. He no longer has to put up with ANY of the WASHINGTON Idiots who double crossed him, as the HYPOCRITES they really are.

"TRUMP HATERS CAUGHT Leaving Out HUGE FACT While Trashing Trump For Raising White House Flag After John McCain Tribute"

Many news websites posted an article about the flag being raised and their headlines made it seem like President Trump and the White House were disrespecting John McCain by only leaving the flag lowered for a short time.

It seems like the people writing those articles and the people reading ONLY the headlines are all harping on the fact that Trump and McCain were no friends of each other.

Trump did send condolences to the family and the White House flag was still lowered, but we can all rest assured that they didn’t like each other. Playing off the fact that they were basically enemies and the White House flag was only lowered for a small amount of time, then it’s easy to imagine that the Trump haters will think the flag was raised on purpose to disrespect McCain."

Some people wanted the flag lowered to half-mast longer, at least until McCain’s funeral, but that’s not exactly how it works. Or is it?

>>What actually happened is that the White House followed the United States Flag Code and people are upset about it....

"Too many people on social media were already enraged when they found out that the flag had been raised and they were writing their own version of the story and ignoring the truth and the facts. They were freaking out and posting horrible comments about the Trump administration being disrespectful because they were not aware of the rules of the U.S. Flag Code."

As expected by those who knew the Flag Code and the relationship between the pair, Trump and the White House followed the rules exactly. That didn’t stop people who didn’t know any better. "

More:

https://100percentfedup.com/trump-haters-caught-leaving-out-huge-fact-while-trashing-trump-for-raising-white-house-flag-after-john-mccain-tribute/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-30-2018, 07:12 PM
I am going to ask this. How much respect does a person deserve if they turn their back on what they formerly stood for- if that former stance was that of honor, patriotism and military service?
Truth is McCain when he became a politician abandoned that former stance and help the dems wreck havoc and weakened this nation.
He was not blind or ignorant of the results of his actions.
He was totally self-serving and the harm that he did should not be ignored just because he died, IMHO.
This is the truth..
Give him the bare minimum in accord to the rules and regulations.
However, do not go overboard about it, just because his dem/leftists pals now want to use his death as another way to attack Trump.
Those dishonorable people should just be told to shut the hell up.
I wish Trump would have said that to them.-Tyr

High_Plains_Drifter
08-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Of course there was and is a double standard from the mentally ill left on how they treated Obama who was without question the worst President this country has ever had.

This doesn't change the fact that there have been MANY instances in which Trump has stepped on his own dick with unforced errors that just give those idiots more material to cry about.

Lowering this flag was just one such thing.
So... you're not a leftist... but you are a Trump hater... got it.

But instead of just spewing your insults about our president, why don't you give an example. It would make you sound more credible, instead of just another ranting TDS hater.

And finally, the mongrels on the left and their propaganda wing are going to CRY about EVERYTHING this president does, EEEVVVVVEEEERRRRRYYYTTTTTHHHHIIIIINNNNNGGGG. So saying they're crying about something President Trump did wrong is a farce, because they cry about shit that he does that's RIGHT. They will NEVER like and they will NEVER give him any CREDIT. They're going to TRASH him PERIOD, NON STOP, that's what they do.

You sound like you need to get a clue.

STTAB
08-31-2018, 09:01 AM
So... you're not a leftist... but you are a Trump hater... got it.

But instead of just spewing your insults about our president, why don't you give an example. It would make you sound more credible, instead of just another ranting TDS hater.

And finally, the mongrels on the left and their propaganda wing are going to CRY about EVERYTHING this president does, EEEVVVVVEEEERRRRRYYYTTTTTHHHHIIIIINNNNNGGGG. So saying they're crying about something President Trump did wrong is a farce, because they cry about shit that he does that's RIGHT. They will NEVER like and they will NEVER give him any CREDIT. They're going to TRASH him PERIOD, NON STOP, that's what they do.

You sound like you need to get a clue.

What the fuck are you talking about?

A) I don't hate the President, I've clearly stated that I like a lot of things he's done as President. I just think he makes mistakes , scratch that I know he makes mistakes, even if some Trump huggers won't admit it.

B) I gave examples, this thread is one, it was a mistake to lower the WH flag, big fucking deal give the asshole McCain the honor of lowreing the WH flag until he's in the ground, what does that cost anyone?

And yes obviously the mentally ill left are going to complain about anything and everything Trump does, regardless so you have to wonder why Trump would possibly give them more ammo?