PDA

View Full Version : "Common Sense These Days...

Elessar
09-08-2018, 04:42 PM
...Is So Rare, It Should Be Considered A Superpower".

Example: The Delta Fire in Northern California: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article217982350.html

Medford OR Mail Tribune 06 Sep: http://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/its-been-a-nightmare

AP 07 Sep: https://www.apnews.com/Fires

I cannot fathom people ignoring the closure warnings posted all over the region.
Truck drivers are puzzling - they or their dispatch should check road conditions. Private vehicles
are either ignorant, do not pay attention, or dare to make a passage attempt.

Any time I plan a trip more than 40 miles from home, I check one of two giving updated road
conditions for weather, construction, accidents, or closures.

For CA: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi
or 1-800-427-7623.

For OR: https://tripcheck.com/

These fools have nobody to blame except themselves.

Gunny
09-08-2018, 05:04 PM
...Is So Rare, It Should Be Considered A Superpower".

Example: The Delta Fire in Northern California: https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article217982350.html

Medford OR Mail Tribune 06 Sep: http://mailtribune.com/news/top-stories/its-been-a-nightmare

AP 07 Sep: https://www.apnews.com/Fires

I cannot fathom people ignoring the closure warnings posted all over the region.
Truck drivers are puzzling - they or their dispatch should check road conditions. Private vehicles
are either ignorant, do not pay attention, or dare to make a passage attempt.

Any time I plan a trip more than 40 miles from home, I check one of two giving updated road
conditions for weather, construction, accidents, or closures.

For CA: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi
or 1-800-427-7623.

For OR: https://tripcheck.com/

These fools have nobody to blame except themselves.Buddy, not everyone is a Coastie equipped with compass, 20 maps, sextant, GPS, and 5 alternate means of egress to go to 7-11 :laugh:

Elessar
09-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Buddy, not everyone is a Coastie equipped with compass, 20 maps, sextant, GPS, and 5 alternate means of egress to go to 7-11 :laugh:

Jerk! But I hear ya, however, I need none of those! Just a map!

Gunny
09-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Jerk! But I hear ya, however, I need none of those! Just a map!Heh. I ALWAYS have more than one route two and from. And map and compass. Just in case, yknow :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
09-08-2018, 06:13 PM
It helps to just know where you're going, and what the alternate routes are. I can drive anywhere around here in a 100 mile circle without a map. I drove to Montana and back without using my GPS.

But people in large part aren't that bright. Look at the average IQ's... America isn't even in the top ten... https://www.healthline.com/health/average-iq#average-iq

Elessar
09-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Heh. I ALWAYS have more than one route two and from. And map and compass. Just in case, yknow :laugh:

Oh....got a compass built in to the Yukon

Gunny
09-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Oh....got a compass built in to the YukonI was stationed in the desert BEFORE the information age. I can land nav, and I sure as Hell know where I am. Pre-cell phone days, you break down halfway between Yuma and Casa Grande and you best know where you are going.

Had one Marine die back in the mid-80s at 29 Palms because he walked off or something and headed in the only direction there was absolutely nothing. Reservists out on a CAX. I'd have bee-lined it after his entire rank structure from the squad leader to the Plt Cmdr. A complete failure on leadership's part.

Was a serious wake-up call though for those of us actually stationed there because once you go over one hill in the desert, it all looks the same. You better know where you are.

High_Plains_Drifter
09-08-2018, 09:49 PM
I was stationed in the desert BEFORE the information age. I can land nav, and I sure as Hell know where I am. Pre-cell phone days, you break down halfway between Yuma and Casa Grande and you best know where you are going.

Had one Marine die back in the mid-80s at 29 Palms because he walked off or something and headed in the only direction there was absolutely nothing. Reservists out on a CAX. I'd have bee-lined it after his entire rank structure from the squad leader to the Plt Cmdr. A complete failure on leadership's part.

Was a serious wake-up call though for those of us actually stationed there because once you go over one hill in the desert, it all looks the same. You better know where you are.
After living in AZ, I have no love for the desert. Everything burnt, no water, no rivers, no rain, no grass or tress, virtually nothing green... like living on another planet compared to Wisconsin. EVERYTHING that isn't a road or a building or a parking lot here is GREEN.

Gunny
09-08-2018, 10:03 PM
After living in AZ, I have no love for the desert. Everything burnt, no water, no rivers, no rain, no grass or tress, virtually nothing green... like living on another planet compared to Wisconsin. EVERYTHING that isn't a road or a building or a parking lot here is GREEN.My first year I hated it with a passion. But I lived in the barracks, on base and had no ride. Even then I sort of got used to it and I actually was okay with it. Once I git married and moved off base it was even less of a bother. Being in the middle of nowhere has its perks. Like no lefties. If you aren't in the Marines or a retired Marine living in town, you're a civilian with a job that has to work in that environment and leftwingnuts tend to shy away from that kind of crap. They want to snuggle up with their own kind in their rat-infested cities with plenty of McDonald's to apply at.

It was one of my favorite duty stations and I don't mind the idea of living in the desert at all. I almost do anyway :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
09-08-2018, 10:42 PM
My first year I hated it with a passion. But I lived in the barracks, on base and had no ride. Even then I sort of got used to it and I actually was okay with it. Once I git married and moved off base it was even less of a bother. Being in the middle of nowhere has its perks. Like no lefties. If you aren't in the Marines or a retired Marine living in town, you're a civilian with a job that has to work in that environment and leftwingnuts tend to shy away from that kind of crap. They want to snuggle up with their own kind in their rat-infested cities with plenty of McDonald's to apply at.

It was one of my favorite duty stations and I don't mind the idea of living in the desert at all. I almost do anyway :laugh:
There ain't no surviving in the desert if the food trucks ever stop bringing in food though. That's what bothers me. You're going to just die. Here there's water, rivers and lakes full of fish, woods full of game animals, fertile ground full of plants to eat... like Charlie Daniels says... "a country boy can survive"... ;)

Elessar
09-09-2018, 12:40 AM
I was stationed in the desert BEFORE the information age. I can land nav, and I sure as Hell know where I am. Pre-cell phone days, you break down halfway between Yuma and Casa Grande and you best know where you are going.

Oh, I hear you. I learned to navigate both on land and at sea before the age of GPS, and read both topo maps and maritime charts.

Elessar
09-09-2018, 12:44 AM
My first year I hated it with a passion. But I lived in the barracks, on base and had no ride. Even then I sort of got used to it and I actually was okay with it. Once I git married and moved off base it was even less of a bother. Being in the middle of nowhere has its perks. Like no lefties. If you aren't in the Marines or a retired Marine living in town, you're a civilian with a job that has to work in that environment and leftwingnuts tend to shy away from that kind of crap. They want to snuggle up with their own kind in their rat-infested cities with plenty of McDonald's to apply at.

That really sums up urban folks that would never survive away from the concrete jungle. I am amazed
they do not get lost on a golf course!:laugh:

Gunny
09-09-2018, 06:27 AM
There ain't no surviving in the desert if the food trucks ever stop bringing in food though. That's what bothers me. You're going to just die. Here there's water, rivers and lakes full of fish, woods full of game animals, fertile ground full of plants to eat... like Charlie Daniels says... "a country boy can survive"... ;)There is plenty of food in the desert if you know where to look and what to look for. One assumes that one's "standards" on what is edible go WAY down in survival mode :) All you really have to know is where the water is. After that, everything comes to you. Long as you're not dumb enough to sit right on top of the water anyway :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
09-09-2018, 06:58 AM
There is plenty of food in the desert if you know where to look and what to look for. One assumes that one's "standards" on what is edible go WAY down in survival mode :) All you really have to know is where the water is. After that, everything comes to you. Long as you're not dumb enough to sit right on top of the water anyway :laugh:
You have to admit, Gunny... how deep would you have to dig to get water in the desert if your life depended on it? How many people would be there needing water too? And if getting water from a cactus is it, that'll only keep someone alive for a few days, and all the cactus' will be gone.

Your "average" person would die in the desert so fast they'd be stacked up like cord wood if the trucks ever stopped bringing in the food. I guess the city water would sustain some, until the power went out and the pumps quit.

You know what I'm sayin' bro. All it takes is a warning for a storm or whatnot and people empty the shelves at the stores. That's where they think food comes from, and I guess for them, it does. But they give no thought what so ever as to what they'd do if those store shelves ever DIDN'T have any food on them. I'm tellin' ya bro... PANDEMONIUM... the desert is the LAST place you want to be if that ever happens.

Gunny
09-09-2018, 07:17 AM
You have to admit, Gunny... how deep would you have to dig to get water in the desert if your life depended on it? How many people would be there needing water too? And if getting water from a cactus is it, that'll only keep someone alive for a few days, and all the cactus' will be gone.

Your "average" person would die in the desert so fast they'd be stacked up like cord wood if the trucks ever stopped bringing in the food. I guess the city water would sustain some, until the power went out and the pumps quit.

You know what I'm sayin' bro. All it takes is a warning for a storm or whatnot and people empty the shelves at the stores. That's where they think food comes from, and I guess for them, it does. But they give no thought what so ever as to what they'd do if those store shelves ever DIDN'T have any food on them. I'm tellin' ya bro... PANDEMONIUM... the desert is the LAST place you want to be if that ever happens.Yeah, but I'm not worried about "those people". Darwin can handle THEM. More for me. I figure most of these spoiled brats would die right off the bat just from stupidity and no AC.

Elessar
09-09-2018, 08:06 AM
That fire is still 0% contained due to wind, dry conditions, and remote, rugged terrain:

http://kiem-tv.com/2018/09/08/delta-fire-remains-0-contained/