PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for downtime earlier!

jimnyc
09-12-2018, 04:55 PM
I'm not really sure what happened, but it was server side and affected another few of my sites as well. I opened a ticket went it went down but had to go out. When I got home, they had replied "Which domain?" - so that wasted like 3 hours. I won't comment on how I think that should have been handled. :(

Once they told me the issue, I was able to go and get them all back up. Somehow, something on the back end caused a few lines to be written in the htaccess files of multiple sites, and these lines prevented any "PHP" links to work, which this site basically runs on PHP/MYSQL.

Elessar
09-12-2018, 04:58 PM
I wondered, but figured it was a glitch.

You would have been kind enough to announce a
pre-planned outage.

jimnyc
09-12-2018, 05:03 PM
I wondered, but figured it was a glitch.

You would have been kind enough to announce a
pre-planned outage.

Yeah, I have no intention on any upgrades for awhile. The NEXT upgrade will likely be huge, like a switch to vbulletin 5, which I don't like, or to something like Xenforo or Wortlab, and convert/import all the data, and then of course all the graphics would need to be updated and learn shit all over again.

Eventually, the backend of the hosts will outgrow and no longer support what is required for what we use now. But I think we may have a year or 2 before that starts happening. With an 8 gigabyte backup in total, moving or converting is a major pain in the butt! Even certain things I do now will timeout after awhile, and will need to be ran server side to prevent that.

Drummond
09-12-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm not really sure what happened, but it was server side and affected another few of my sites as well. I opened a ticket went it went down but had to go out. When I got home, they had replied "Which domain?" - so that wasted like 3 hours. I won't comment on how I think that should have been handled. :(

Once they told me the issue, I was able to go and get them all back up. Somehow, something on the back end caused a few lines to be written in the htaccess files of multiple sites, and these lines prevented any "PHP" links to work, which this site basically runs on PHP/MYSQL.

... yes. I found myself getting an 'error 500' message, which almost always means that connection is lost due to a server error.

Anyway, all is fine now, which is a relief ! Cheers, Jim. :beer:

jimnyc
09-12-2018, 05:25 PM
... yes. I found myself getting an 'error 500' message, which almost always means that connection is lost due to a server error.

Anyway, all is fine now, which is a relief ! Cheers, Jim. :beer:

Yup, that's what I was getting. When I checked with Firefox, it just was a blank page no matter what, and THAT would be frustrating without at least an acknowledgement or error.

Somehow, MULTIPLE sites of mine, suddenly had these lines added to a security file, which in turn disabled the site! Not sure what they did on the backend, but inserting code like that pisses me off. I had no clue which direction to go in troubleshooting. As soon as I was made aware of the specifics, it literally took me less than 2 minutes to have all the sites back up and running.

:beer: :salute:

Abbey Marie
09-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Glad it’s all better now!