PDA

View Full Version : Rod Rosenstein potential replacement - Noel Fransico

jimnyc
09-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Well, now I hope he resigns or gets fired that much more. :)

---

The man who would replace Rod Rosenstein is a conservative who favors executive power

Washington (CNN)The potential departure of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein from the Justice Department would mean that oversight and management of the sensitive Russia probe would fall to a longtime conservative lawyer with ties to the White House, Noel Francisco.

Francisco has been the solicitor general for a year, and in that time has defended the Trump administration's positions before the Supreme Court.

The solicitor general is the fourth in line of succession at the Justice Department, but with the associate attorney general spot still vacant since Rachel Brand departed, and with Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused from matters involving the Russia investigation, Francisco would take over Rosenstein's responsibilities regarding special counsel Robert Mueller's probe once the deputy attorney general leaves.

Francisco is a longtime conservative lawyer who was confirmed in September 2017 to the role of solicitor general, the Justice Department's top Supreme Court litigator.

In that time, he has drawn speculation about his feelings on the Mueller probe for his arguments on executive authority. In a recent Supreme Court case, Francisco argued for presidential authority to remove administrative law judges, seen by some court watchers as a potential groundwork for presidential power over the special counsel.

Rest - https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/24/politics/noel-francisco-succession-rod-rosenstein/index.html

Noir
09-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Sure thing, because what America needs is a stronger executive right?

jimnyc
09-24-2018, 05:25 PM

appropriate power, not inappropriate. There are the separated branches for a reason. I'm not stating to use excessive power nor advocating it. But as things stand, for example, the DOJ and the FBI run rampant and often ignore the president. Far too often we see smaller benches around the country running on agendas instead of the law. The 9th immediately comes to mind. Congress also has been outright ignoring the president a few times on demands, and then with other demands. Just because we have the separated branches, does't mean it's always functioning as it should be. This isn't to mean that unlimited, or ANY more power than legally allowed, is what any of this means. But it's also possible, and it happens, where folks like an AG or similar just simply may not be doing their jobs effectively, and a replacement here that we see potentially, may see someone come in that knows the laws better, or simply functions differently, and things get done.

And I think that, sadly, Sessions is another one that is effectively limiting the president.

jimnyc
09-24-2018, 05:27 PM
I see Fransico also served as a law clerk underneath Antonin Scalia, another huge positive if he took and learned a lot from him! I miss Scalia. :(

High_Plains_Drifter
09-24-2018, 07:14 PM
What the fuck do you know about what America needs?