PDA

View Full Version : Musing on Kavanaugh

Abbey Marie
10-09-2018, 05:15 PM
I couldn’t help feel that Justice Kavanaugh was signaling during his speech this weekend, that he wouldn’t have a Conservative philosophy on the USSC. That he would be “centrist”.
Anyone else feel this way?

NightTrain
10-09-2018, 05:24 PM
I couldn’t help feel that Justice Kavanaugh was signaling during his speech this weekend, that he wouldn’t have a Conservative philosophy on the USSC. That he would be “centrist”.

I thought it was a rebuke to what Kagan said a few days ago, bemoaning a lack of a 'centrist swing vote' in the future - when they're ALL supposed to be immune and be focused on if a law is constitutional or not. If Kagan took her oath seriously - and Sotomeyer was sitting right beside her when she said it - there would be no need for a centrist Justice that swing votes. Or if there were, why isn't Kagan that person? Why is she committed to voting left on issues rather than doing her job as per the oath and only using the law as a guide?

He also said something along the lines of 'Interpreting the Constitution as written', which is perfect - none of this evolving, living document BS that liberals love to say to cover their perversion of ignoring what the intent was.

And some of that was to calm the moonbats down, I suspect. I thought it was a great speech.

Abbey Marie
10-09-2018, 05:28 PM
I thought it was a rebuke to what Kagan said a few days ago, bemoaning a lack of a 'centrist swing vote' in the future - when they're ALL supposed to be immune and be focused on if a law is constitutional or not. If Kagan took her oath seriously - and Sotomeyer was sitting right beside her when she said it - there would be no need for a centrist Justice that swing votes. Or if there were, why isn't Kagan that person? Why is she committed to voting left on issues rather than doing her job as per the oath and only using the law as a guide?

He also said something along the lines of 'Interpreting the Constitution as written', which is perfect - none of this evolving, living document BS that liberals love to say to cover their perversion of ignoring what the intent was.

And some of that was to calm the moonbats down, I suspect. I thought it was a great speech.

I should write a macro that says, “I hope you’re right, Rick”.

And while I’m at it, one that says, “ I’m glad you were right”, because you so often are.

(Btw, do people still write macros in Excel, or am I hopelessly outdated?);)

Gunny
10-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Anyone else feel this way?Yeah when he said he wanted to fashion himself after John Roberts? That chill ran up MY spine as well. Just what we need after all this BS is a sellout.

Elessar
10-09-2018, 07:15 PM
I think what people need to hear is that the Court will follow the Constitution and
NOT yield to politics.

Democrats want the Court to yield to politics. Justices should remain apolitical, period.

Wasn't it John Jay who famously quoted: "We must not legislate from the Bench", which
is what the Democrats seek to do.

Gunny
10-09-2018, 07:50 PM
I think what people need to hear is that the Court will follow the Constitution and
NOT yield to politics.

Democrats want the Court to yield to politics. Justices should remain apolitical, period.

Wasn't it John Jay who famously quoted: "We must not legislate from the Bench", which
is what the Democrats seek to do.I'm not going to argue the ideals. You are correct. Reality though is another matter.

The Supreme Court ruled that the Affordable Care Act is Constitutional, when it is not. The Supreme Court ruled that a lower court could obstruct a Presidential Order. I do not believe that is within the intent of the law. If lower authority can obstruct higher authority, what is the point to higher authority?

I believe the actual ruling was that the ruling and frivilous lawsuits had to wind their way through the lower court system, rather than the Supreme Court of the land rule on an order issued by the Chief Executive of the land.

I agree the court is to interpret law, not write it. Seems to me there's a whole lot of writing going on.

AND ... I forget the case that Roberts ruled on that put him out in the daylight but it was wrong and he was wrong. THAT is the issue. They can talk all the game they want. Actions, especially from the highest court in the land, speak louder than words.

FakeNewsSux
10-10-2018, 12:23 AM

That's why Trump chose him. He is a Bush loyalist (read elite, establishment centrist) that he felt would be an easier sell to wavering Dems and Never Trump Repubs in the Senate. Thats why we need a red wave next month so Amy Coney Barrett can replace Ginsberg.