PDA

View Full Version : This may not be the proper thread, but....

aboutime
10-16-2018, 08:41 PM
For the very first time that I can recall. YOUTUBE has been DOWN for several hours.

Last week, it was advertised (warned) that Hackers planned a NETWORK wide shutdown of the Internet. I suppose, here, on Tuesday nite. They have finally struck. Others may be affected soon as well. Just a heads up to all.

I saw it either on Yahoo, or Drudge over the weekend.

NightTrain
10-17-2018, 08:34 AM
For the very first time that I can recall. YOUTUBE has been DOWN for several hours.

Last week, it was advertised (warned) that Hackers planned a NETWORK wide shutdown of the Internet. I suppose, here, on Tuesday nite. They have finally struck. Others may be affected soon as well. Just a heads up to all.

Working fine for me, AT.

It would be an impressive feat to keep YouTube offline for even a few minutes... Google is a pretty big outfit.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-17-2018, 09:52 AM
I quit going to drudge. He links to more democrat propaganda wing garbage than he does anything else.

Drummond
10-17-2018, 09:58 AM

It was worldwide. The UK was equally affected (I wasn't online myself at the time, but it was a domestic headline news item here ..).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-6285447/YouTube-returns-outage-takes-site-offline.html

Noir
10-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Last week, it was advertised (warned) that Hackers planned a NETWORK wide shutdown of the Internet..

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

jimnyc
10-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Some may scoff at the idea *cough cough * - but security experts warned awhile back that it would only take a few million machines in a botnet that could capably take down the internet, or hit enough of it to where folks will think it's down.

I read an article quite awhile back where it was stated that the Russians may already have the capability to take down over 500,000 routers. That many computers alone would do enough damage - but hitting routers, and things on the backbone carrying the connections for many internet companies. I wouldn't say it would be "easy", but if they can connect that many routers with attacks, and hit the backend at the same time.... they CAN effectively bring down portions of the internet.

Noir
10-17-2018, 11:59 AM
I put the probability at 0%

And when I’m proved wrong you can write me a letter about it.

jimnyc
10-17-2018, 12:09 PM
I put the probability at 0%

And when I’m proved wrong you can write me a letter about it.

That's your opinion. And if you're stance is based on every last bit of the internet going down, I'd agree with you. But if a botnet were released, and successfully took down 500,000 routers, then I would disagree with you. I would say the likelihood of that actually happening in the 0-100% range, as how the hell do I know what world hackers and hacker elites are up to? :laugh: But IF they released such, the ability to take down, say about 25% of the internet, would be easy to attain - IF they had such a botnet that could DDOS to death such router, or use alternative methods to take down such routers for some amount of time.

The main thing is locations, and who is protecting said routers.

There's a reason that countries have entire units dedicated to protecting their digital interests. While some others, have units dedicated to learning how to hack, how to have a "war" via the internet and bringing down another countries interests.