PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-18-2018, 01:54 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/us/vietnam-war-hero-sentenced-to-7-years-for-decades-old-rifle-purchase-report

Vietnam War hero sentenced to 7 years for decades-old rifle purchase: report
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

A decorated Vietnam veteran and firearms collector was sentenced to seven years in federal prison Wednesday for a decades-old purchase of a rifle.

Alfred Pick, 70, purchased the M14 -- a fully automatic weapon illegal to own -- at a Ft. Worth gun show in the early 1980s, the Dallas Morning News reported.

The rifle, which had a scratched-off serial number, was similar to the one Pick used as an Army lieutenant in Vietnam, where he earned a Silver Star after participating in more than 100 combat missions and his brief time as a POW.

"The man is a Silver Star winner, he saved lives, he took care of his wife, he’s been in custody for a year, I would think that when a man turned 70 and is an American hero you don't destroy the rest of his life for one mistake," Mark Shackelford, a friend, told KDFW-TV.

Shackelford called the weapon the "piece de resistance" of Pick’s collection, adding that "He had shown it to me. I've never seen it taken out of the case.

Ryne Sandel, Pick's attorney, said his client had a "connection" to the rifle at the time.

Pick has accumulated dozens of weapons over the years, most of them collectibles, Sandel said.

Last year, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents looking for the rifle raided Pick’s Plano, Texas, home two weeks after his wife died of cancer and found the weapon.

"He's had it all these years, never robbed a bank or done anything with it," Shackleford said. "I would think that when a man turned 70 and is an American hero, you don't destroy the rest of his life for one mistake."

Some Vietnam veterans were less than sympathetic, the station reported, saying Pick should have known better since the rifle's serial was scratched out.

Not sure if the sentence is just.
If he had the gun in a collection had never used it in a crime and has not engaged in any criminal activity, I think 7 years is a bit much-- maybe 1 year would be just, or even gun confiscated and pay a hefty fine.-Tyr

darin
10-18-2018, 03:24 AM
I'd like to know precedent in sentencing for something like this. His veteran status shouldn't come into play except speaking generally to character.

Women get less time in jail for raping children than this guy gets for buying what amounts to a trophy

Noir
10-18-2018, 08:14 AM
Tbh if the sentence is 7 years for owing an automatic rifle with the serial numbers removed etc. then I’d guess he’d rather of served it towards the end of his life than in the middle a few decades ago.

Elessar
10-18-2018, 08:17 AM
I'd like to know precedent in sentencing for something like this. His veteran status shouldn't come into play except speaking generally to character.

Women get less time in jail for raping children than this guy gets for buying what amounts to a trophy

The kicker is the removed serial number. I think as a collector he should have known better.
That might be the precedent.

pete311
10-18-2018, 08:39 AM
If he was black it would be life

High_Plains_Drifter
10-18-2018, 08:42 AM
I'd like to know why they raided his house, just because his wife died of cancer.

Did they know he had the rifle? Did someone rat him out?

Elessar
10-18-2018, 08:43 AM

What the hell does race have to do with it?

How much do you know about BATFE Laws or
sentencing guidelines?

There was no indication in the article that he had a valid BATFE permit to purchase
an automatic weapon as a collector. Perhaps he did. Nor is there any indication
of whether or not the gun show was BATFE sanctioned if it was to include automatic
weapons.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Really???
Do give some kind of proof that backs up this outrageous liberal kind of stupid declaration you have made.
As in, something to show how many blacks that have bought ""such guns"" at gun shows and were given life in prison sentences for that action.
Otherwise, your comment reveals not only your bias but also your stupidity and/or insane belief in the usual liberal propaganda you are so damn fond of presenting here.-Tyr

Gunny
10-18-2018, 05:21 PM
If he was black it would be lifeIf he was black half his city would have already been burned, vandalized and looted and his face on Page One daily at the miscarriage of justice done to the black man.

Fact is, he's white. Where's your rent-a-riot squad and incessant MSM yammering?

Elessar
10-18-2018, 05:51 PM
I found the sentencing guidelines for possession of a firearm with serial number removed:

Fine not to exceed $250,000 - jail time not to exceed 10 years.

The only other question in doubt is a permit to own an automatic weapon from the BATFE.

Lots of things are not being identified in this case.

NightTrain
10-18-2018, 10:12 PM
They hammered him because of the serial number tampering, clearly indicating that it was stolen at some point.

A full auto weapon missing the serial? He knew better but didn't care.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-18-2018, 10:19 PM
They hammered him because of the serial number tampering, clearly indicating that it was stolen at some point.

I wasn't going to comment but, I have to agree with you, NT... he knew he had a hot weapon and what would happen if he got caught with it.

70 or not, do the crime, do the time.

Elessar
10-18-2018, 10:57 PM

That was the kicker I indicated above.

The rest was/were my points that a lot had not been made
public in the case. BATFE permit to own or possess? Gunshow BAFTE permit?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-19-2018, 05:39 AM
I think it a bit too severe , unless he also had engaged in some type of criminal activity (either prior or since) or they had reason to believe he was a danger to society.
Still a lot unknown about his character but the article never mentioned that he had any kind of previous criminal record.
To me, giving 7 years was -- them sending a message , perhaps even to soothe the mmffking anti-gun liberals.
His age, previous service and apparent good character(as a law abiding citizen having served with honor)should have garnered him more leniency imho.
3 years to be suspended and maybe a 500/1000 dollar fine, seems about right to me..--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-19-2018, 05:42 AM
Really???
Do give some kind of proof that backs up this outrageous liberal kind of stupid declaration you have made.
As in, something to show how many blacks that have bought ""such guns"" at gun shows and were given life in prison sentences for that action.
Otherwise, your comment reveals not only your bias but also your stupidity and/or insane belief in the usual liberal propaganda you are so damn fond of presenting here.-Tyr

Petey ignores, or else hides from these types of posts that reveal his true character and his liberal idiocy..
A shame that he will not even attempt to prove even one iota of his outlandish and liberal inspired falsely made accusation -Tyr

Gunny
10-19-2018, 08:57 AM

I wasn't going to comment but, I have to agree with you, NT... he knew he had a hot weapon and what would happen if he got caught with it.

70 or not, do the crime, do the time.Too much of a big picture we aren't seeing, IMO. Collectors are nut jobs and haven't much regard for the law when it comes to their collections. They are usually otherwise benign, as this guy seems to be.

I just want to know why that ONE, single weapon was so damned important all the time. money and manpower was taken to find it.

NightTrain
10-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Too much of a big picture we aren't seeing, IMO. Collectors are nut jobs and haven't much regard for the law when it comes to their collections. They are usually otherwise benign, as this guy seems to be.

I just want to know why that ONE, single weapon was so damned important all the time. money and manpower was taken to find it.

I won't have anything to do with a firearm that's been tampered with or if there's even a slight suspicion that it's stolen.

Those are some very harsh Fed penalties and the risk of catastrophe is too great.

Elessar
10-20-2018, 06:02 PM
I won't have anything to do with a firearm that's been tampered with or if there's even a slight suspicion that it's stolen.

Those are some very harsh Fed penalties and the risk of catastrophe is too great.

You are completely correct NightTrain!

High_Plains_Drifter
10-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Yep... and if it was a full auto with the serial number ground off, if I thought I really needed to keep it, I'd have BURIED it or something. I'd have made damn sure no one could find it.

darin
10-23-2018, 05:51 AM
More information most media is ignoring:

According to information presented to the court, Plano police were called to an area hospital on Oct. 2, 2017, regarding a belligerent individual. Officers encountered Pick, who was upset about the treatment of a relative in the hospital, and had told medical staff and others, that he intended to return to the hospital with a firearm and “would shoot [hospital staff] in their kneecaps and elbows first and let them bleed.” Pick was taken into custody and delivered to mental health authorities for an evaluation.

As a result of the incident at the hospital, agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) opened an investigation that eventually received information that Pick possessed weapons and narcotics at his home. Agents obtained a search warrant and found over 2 grams of cocaine and over 10 grams of marijuana in Pick’s residence. Agents also discover 14 firearms at Pick’s residence, including a fully automatic machine gun with an obliterated serial number that witnesses later told investigators that Pick had admitted he stole while he served in the military.

The sentencing court also received information that Pick had repeatedly been cited for criminal trespass at various area hospitals for his aggressive behavior, involving both verbal and physical abuse of medical staff and impeding staff. The court also heard that police had been called on two prior occasions in 2014 to restaurant parking lots where patrons reported that Pick had been threatening and brandished handguns in encounters with him.

Additional information presented at sentencing revealed Pick’s daughter reported to investigators that Pick had sexually abused her from the time she was 4-years-old until the age of 17, taking nude photographs of her to, as he put it, “chart her growth” and sexually assaulting her.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edtx/pr/plano-man-sentenced-7-years-firearms-violation

That guy is a piece of shit.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-23-2018, 06:03 AM

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edtx/pr/plano-man-sentenced-7-years-firearms-violation

[/B]That guy is a piece of shit.

Now why wasnt this information given before?
In light of this new information the sentencing makes sense to me. And I agree with Darin, the guy is a POS and obviously crazy..-Tyr

High_Plains_Drifter
10-23-2018, 06:03 AM

Good God... no shit.

Elessar
10-23-2018, 10:05 AM

Wonderful! The MSM blow-up over his sentencing,
but not attach the background facts?

Silver Star or not, Piece of Shit is a good tag to lay on him.

jimnyc
10-23-2018, 11:43 AM

And if he was you - well, he would just be a gay loving, American hating weak piece of shit.

Carry on! :)

jimnyc
10-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Petey ignores, or else hides from these types of posts that reveal his true character and his liberal idiocy..
A shame that he will not even attempt to prove even one iota of his outlandish and liberal inspired falsely made accusation -Tyr

One liner - off topic - meant to just piss off those here = TROLL