PDA

View Full Version : Poached eggs?

Yurt
08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Just made the wife and myself a poached egg dinner with a new gadget we bought from BB&B.

Works ok, but I love poached eggs any way I can get them. I thought I would try the pan because it gets old putting them straight into the water.

Any tips? Or suggestions on cookware for poached eggs?

MtnBiker
08-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Yurt I'm not sure what methods you have used for poaching egg so perhaps this is not new but try this. Bring the water to about 180 degrees add a little acid to the water ie lemon juice or vinegar, this will help the albumem proteins in the egg white set. First crack the egg and place in a small soup cup or something similar, lower the cup halfway into the water then tilt the cup to let the egg slide into the water. This will introduce the egg into the poaching liquid as gentle as possible. Cook until done, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel to remove excess water, serve with some velvety smooth hollandaise sauce. Oh yeah!

Yurt
08-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Yurt I'm not sure what methods you have used for poaching egg so perhaps this is not new but try this. Bring the water to about 180 degrees add a little acid to the water ie lemon juice or vinegar, this will help the albumem proteins in the egg white set. First crack the egg and place in a small soup cup or something similar, lower the cup halfway into the water then tilt the cup to let the egg slide into the water. This will introduce the egg into the poaching liquid as gentle as possible. Cook until done, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel to remove excess water, serve with some velvety smooth hollandaise sauce. Oh yeah!

Yes, that was the method I have used. I found the egg whites still seperate somewhat and I am trying to keep as much egg white as possible. I used vinegar, not lemon juice, good idea on the LJ.

I would say I am looking for a method, preferrably a cookward device that has virtually no seperation of the egg white.

PostmodernProphet
08-27-2007, 09:34 AM
put em in a microwave safe cup with a teaspoon of water....nuke them for 60 seconds....try to tell them from poached eggs.....

my wife says I forgot two important steps....

one, sure you break the yoke before nuking....
two, the cup needs to be covered....I set a saucer on top of it.....

Mr. P
08-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh HELL yeah! Maybe on 1/2 of an English muffin too. :2up:

Yes, that was the method I have used. I found the egg whites still seperate somewhat and I am trying to keep as much egg white as possible. I used vinegar, not lemon juice, good idea on the LJ.

I would say I am looking for a method, preferrably a cookward device that has virtually no seperation of the egg white.
I stay away from cookware gadgets. IF they really work, most just aren't worth the $$ or space to store them, IMO. I favor proper technique unless the same results can be achieved with a simpler method (not gadgets).

PostmodernProphet put em in a microwave safe cup with a teaspoon of water....nuke them for 60 seconds....try to tell them from poached eggs....
This seems worthy of investigation. I Nuc rice and it turns out great everytime.

MtnBiker
08-27-2007, 10:34 AM
I stay away from cookware gadgets. IF they really work, most just aren't worth the $$ or space to store them, IMO. I favor proper technique unless the same results can be achieved with a simpler method (not gadgets).

Yup, that has been my approach as well.

Also Yurt (you probably already know this), use as fresh of eggs as possible. The protein strains in fresh eggs are stronger than older eggs. Do a test, fry a fresh egg and an older egg and notice how much the egg white spreads out with the older egg.

dan
08-27-2007, 10:47 AM
This thread is causing me to make that drooling sound Homer Simpson makes.

Joan
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Don't think I've had a poached egg since I was a kid, but I want on NOW!!

remie
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
put em in a microwave safe cup with a teaspoon of water....nuke them for 60 seconds....try to tell them from poached eggs.....

Yep thats how I do them too except I just cover with some plastic wrap. After years of chasing the egg whites around pots I have pretty much settled on the microwave method.

-Cp
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm not at all a fan of unitaskers like that poaching pan...

Trinity
08-28-2007, 01:16 PM
here it goes...........I have never had a poached egg. I have had scrambled, fried, and hard boiled, but never poached..... hmm I wonder why?

So please tell me.... how do they taste, what's the difference between the others I listed and poached?

jackass
08-28-2007, 03:32 PM
here it goes...........I have never had a poached egg. I have had scrambled, fried, and hard boiled, but never poached..... hmm I wonder why?

So please tell me.... how do they taste, what's the difference between the others I listed and poached?

Mmmmmm...poached eggs are very soft. Since I use vinegar in my water they have a bit of a tangy taste. The yolk is usually very runny, so if you dont like that...stay away from them. :)

jackass
09-15-2007, 08:44 AM

UUhhmmm I ate to say this but YUCK!! First off WHY would you want to break the yolk??? Arent poached eggs supposed to be runny?
Second..they make the eggs just like all micros do...rubbery.

emmett
09-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Just made the wife and myself a poached egg dinner with a new gadget we bought from BB&B.

Works ok, but I love poached eggs any way I can get them. I thought I would try the pan because it gets old putting them straight into the water.

Any tips? Or suggestions on cookware for poached eggs?

Use the pan you bought!

dan
09-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Use the pan you bought!

Heh, might be the smartest advice of the threat!:clap:

PostmodernProphet
09-15-2007, 06:02 PM
First off WHY would you want to break the yolk???

to keep it from blowing up......

jackass
09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
to keep it from blowing up......

I realize that....but thats not poached eggs. Poached eggs are supposed to be runny no?

Yurt
09-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I realize that....but thats not poached eggs. Poached eggs are supposed to be runny no?

to most folk. my wife, however, likes them hard, so hard it is like a hard boiled egg. in fact, it is so abnormal, only 10% of the restaurants actually get her eggs "very well done" when she asks. so she now says, very uber, extremely, like hard boiled eggs done. And some still don't get it.

so i eat her eggs.... :coffee: actually, i have them redo the eggs now, it is getting tiring.

retiredman
09-15-2007, 07:56 PM
we have one very similar to this:

http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Kitchen&SCID=Handy+Helpers&ProductID=1018682&SourceCode=15070610&Affid=12

Yurt
09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
we have one very similar to this:

http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Kitchen&SCID=Handy+Helpers&ProductID=1018682&SourceCode=15070610&Affid=12

Looks nice, but what I did not like about the one I returned was the "plastic" alleged non-stick insert. I think you need some form of metal cooking the egg, the plastic on mine just did not work.

Plus, I want at least a four egg poacher so we can make a quick breakfast or dinner.

retiredman
09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/srch/index.cfm?words=poached+egg

my brother had one like this from Williams Sonoma the last time I visited him.

PostmodernProphet
09-16-2007, 05:34 AM

I will assume from your comments that you haven't actually tried my suggestion yet.....or, perhaps your microwave doesn't permit you to vary the cooking heat or time.....

jackass
09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I will assume from your comments that you haven't actually tried my suggestion yet.....or, perhaps your microwave doesn't permit you to vary the cooking heat or time.....

I did try them. They were hard and rubbery. Did I miss a suggestion?

manu1959
09-22-2007, 01:16 PM
i have a pan like yours....i spray it with pam....then put a touch of butter in the bottom.....

love poached eggs....hollandaise....english muffin...canadian bacon...slice of tomato.....and hashed browns.....bit of parsley over the whole thing

and a ramos fizz…….1/2 can limeade….1/2can lemonade….1/2 can ˝ and ˝…..1 egg….lots of gin and ice…..

lovely.....

PostmodernProphet
09-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Did I miss a suggestion?

yes, try variations of heat and time, not simply "full blast" till they are hard and rubbery....

Said1
09-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I hate poached embryos. I like them fried, over-hard on a bagel, though.

jackass
09-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I hate poached embryos. I like them fried, over-hard on a bagel, though.

No way! Soft yoke. Runny on a sandwich with pork roll, hashbrown and cheese! MmmmMMMmmm Good!