PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Organ donor?

Mr. P
08-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Just wondering what peoples personal reasons/opinions are.

LiberalNation
08-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Yep, well I got the sticker on my drivers license anyway.

Yurt
08-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Yes. I figure if I am dead, don't really need the organ anymore and if it saves someone's life....

Kathianne
08-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Yep, on my driver's license. My dad passed away Friday, he was an organ donor too. Not surprisingly he also will be cremated, after traditional Catholic funeral traditions. The body is housing for the part of God that exists in the living person. The part that is 'God' lives eternally.

If a donation helps a fellow being live life more fully, I'm all in favor of that.

nevadamedic
08-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Yep, on my driver's license. My dad passed away Friday, he was an organ donor too. Not surprisingly he also will be cremated, after traditional Catholic funeral traditions. The body is housing for the part of God that exists in the living person. The part that is 'God' lives eternally.

If a donation helps a fellow being live life more fully, I'm all in favor of that.

:(

Mr. P
08-26-2007, 09:56 PM

I'm so very sorry, Kathianne.

I was going to ask you about your dad the other day when you posted he was at the hospital and you could not visit.

Kathianne
08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm so very sorry, Kathianne.

I was going to ask you about your dad the other day when you posted he was at the hospital and you could not visit.

Thank you. I'm blessed with a supportive family and employer. While there may be disagreements on some issues at my school, this is not one. When I called my principal and said I only took off a day and a half for my mom's funeral, but would need at least a week now, she was like 'don't worry', we've got you. Not easy considering the evaluation year and how early we are in the year.

My brother and I have each other's backs. No problems, we both know what my dad's intentions were. Want to talk about 'faith'? My dad told my brother at least 6 times, according to my brother, that 'his estate' was to go to me, minus funeral expenses. We both knew it wouldn't be much, because of my mom's extended illness.

He told my brother that he had a bag of things for him, plus a collection of coins from my mom and uncle. (My mom collected silver coins, my uncle old currencies). Today we went through all, my brother took a quick look at what my dad wanted him to have, said, "Kath, I'm getting this appraised. You've got the cash, but if this stuff is worth more than $2k, we'll split it. I got a feeling 'my take' is way more than your's, it's not what Dad intended. I'll get 3 appraisals after the funeral." When I said, "No." He was adament, "I'm doing what dad wanted, my family is in good shape and that is what mom and dad wanted for you. Shut up." Did I mention I love my family?

diuretic
08-26-2007, 11:31 PM
My condolences Kathianne. Best wishes for your evaluation.

On the question - yes, on my driver's licence too. Same reasoning as has been put forward.

Abbey Marie
08-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Yes, on the license. Why would anyone not?

Kath: I am doing as you and I discussed in PM.

Kathianne
08-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks all of you! There is a core of folks here, note both conservative and liberal, that are just decent human beings. We may argue, a lot, but at heart we are all compassionate towards each other and human beings in general. I thank you all for your empathy in my hours of tribulation.

stephanie
08-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Organ donor here..

nevadamedic
08-27-2007, 12:26 AM

That sucks :( I definatly feel for ya. My worst fear is losing my dad, well both my parents so I cant imagine how you feel :(

darin
08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I am not anymore...at least not on my license. In THIS state, being an 'organ donor' means the state can sell your body parts to various research facilities - dontate your organs to 'science'. The donor or his family have NO SAY as to whether the organs go to actual PEOPLE, or to science, for research. The only way I'd feel comfortable donating would be with the approval of my wife, should she survive. It'd be an on-the-spot thing.

remie
08-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Just wondering what peoples personal reasons/opinions are.

They are welcome to any of my worn out parts they need.

Pale Rider
08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
No. If I'm borderline whether or not they should make an effort to save me or harvest my organs, well, they're my damn organs, I want first consideration. I don't want some knife happy doctor more ready to dice me up than save me.

glockmail
08-27-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm sorry for your loss Kate.

And crap I was hoping to launch a glock-fest on which organs of mine would be totally worn out and should not be donated.

jackass
08-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Kathianne.

I am not an organ donor for 2 reasons...
1. same as Pale said.
2. I was a smoker and knew they wouldnt want anything from me. Now that I have quit though...I may change it.

Abbey Marie
08-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I would not donate my entire body to science because I have heard how they are treated. Hanging on meat hooks, nicknamed by med students, etc. But I don't care if they remove individual organs for research, sew me back up and cremate the rest. I surely will not need them.

I also designated that my skin not be donated. It's probably silly, but I don't like the idea of being flayed.

diuretic
08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Well never let it be said that a forum doesn't have effect in real life. I'm not on the national register, as well as the driver licence thing. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the national register if I hadn't read the thread.

Abbey, I'm with you, a colleague of mine once told me that her father donated his body to medical science, she knew what went on and although they had a memorial service for him she said she still felt bad. Okay, the depersonalisation of a corpse is necessary for medical students who have perhaps never dealt with death to confront it but I think that there should be a few ethical considerations for the sake of the surviving family members.

truthmatters
08-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Sorry to hear of your fathers passing Kathie.

I know this kind of loss takes a long time to process, I hope you the best.

manu1959
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
no....i am having a viking funeral..... boat with wood piled high shot a flaming arrow into it.....i will need them in valhalla....seriously it is in my will and my wife wants to shoot the arrow....

glockmail
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
no....i am having a viking funeral..... boat with wood piled high shot a flaming arrow into it.....i will need them in valhalla....seriously it is in my will and my wife wants to shoot the arrow....
Sorry you'll have to obtain a permit for that....

manu1959
08-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Sorry you'll have to obtain a permit for that....

have one and the lake picked out

Pale Rider
08-27-2007, 11:19 PM

Is your wife still going to able to draw a bow string at 95?

manu1959
08-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Is your wife still going to able to draw a bow string at 95?

my wife is ten years younger than me......she will figure it out...trust me

darin
08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
/me Hi-Five's Manu.

:D

glockmail
08-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Is your wife still going to able to draw a bow string at 95? Rig up an electric cross bow to her wheelchair. :salute: