PDA

View Full Version : Birthright Citizenship...

jimnyc
10-30-2018, 02:19 PM
So 2 new justices have been installed by Trump. And it'll be time to send some decisions on there way in the next 2 years. :) :) :)

---

Pence: SCOTUS Never Ruled on Birthright Citizenship for Illegals

Vice President Mike Pence touted President Donald Trump's plan to reconsider birthright citizenship and said the issue has not been tested before the Supreme Court.

His comments came Tuesday during an interview with Politico's Playbook. The interview was broadcast on C-SPAN.

"One of the things the president articulated on the campaign trail two years ago is that we want to look in the broadest way possible at American law that may be used as a magnet to draw people into our country," he said.

"There are things that human traffickers actually use to entice vulnerable families to make the long and dangerous trip . . . often at great risk to themselves. And, frankly, 'birthright citizenship' is a part of that. But I think the president has made clear is that we're looking at action that would reconsider birthright citizenship.

"We all know what the 14th Amendment says. We all cherish the language of the 14th Amendment. But the Supreme Court has never ruled whether or not the language of the 14th Amendment, subject to the jurisdiction thereof, applies specifically to people who are in the country illegally. The president is looking at executive action.

"But our broad objective is we need to fix a broken immigration system that is being used by people who literally are exploiting vulnerable people."

Pence's comments came as Trump declared he wants to order an end to the "ridiculous" constitutional right to citizenship for babies born in the U.S. to non-citizens.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/mike-pence-birthright-citizenship-illegals/2018/10/30/id/888644/

jimnyc
10-30-2018, 06:02 PM
I'm afraid he may be correct, and Trump may need another avenue, even though I agree with him. Somehow the courts need to be involved, or an amendment change. I don't see it happening in the long run, even though it should.

---

Paul Ryan: President Trump Cannot End Birthright Citizenship with Executive Order

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) claimed on Tuesday that President Donald Trump cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order. The outgoing Republican leader made the remarks during a radio interview with Lexington, Kentucky area radio station WVLK.

He was responding to reports that the president is preparing to use executive powers to revoke the so-called constitutional right to citizenship.

https://i.imgur.com/S2ZaC7q.png

With seven days to go before the midterm elections, President Trump teased the order to Axios on HBO. The remark comes after the administration announced Monday it was dispatching thousands of active-duty troops to the border, and President Trump said he’d set up tent cities to house asylum seekers.

President Trump has long called for an end to birthright citizenship, as have many conservatives. An executive order would spark a legal battle about whether the president has the unilateral ability to declare that children born in the U.S. to those living here illegally aren’t citizens.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2018/10/30/paul-ryan-president-trump-cannot-end-birthright-citizenship-with-executive-order/

Elessar
10-30-2018, 06:14 PM
I still say this is treading on shaky ground.

While I agree it is a means for illegals to assume a haven here, that does not make it morally right.

Where were/are these 'anchor babies' conceived? That might be the kicker in this argument.
There is lots to consider before a judgement is cast, I think.

My previous response:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?64594-President-Trump-Readies-Plan-to-End-Birthright-Citizenship-Via-Executive-Action

Gunny
10-30-2018, 08:23 PM
I do not see ANYWHERE in the 14th Amendment where it says the intent of the law is for it to be purposefully abused for the benefit of one or more parties, to include shyster lawyers like Avenatti or the Clintons. Crossing the border just in time to pop out a kid is as illustrative of the term "abuse" as it gets.

I am totally against anything that supports "anchor babies". It costs taxpayers a fortune and I am from an area really hard hit by it. Kids in school that don't speak English. Can't be denied medical treatment. Parents get preferential employment treatment and welfare solely because they got across a line in the sand and dropped a kid. They drag our entire social infrastructure down.

What is the difference between an "anchor baby" and a dreamer? BOTH are the result of unlawful acts.

jimnyc
10-31-2018, 11:06 AM
Flashback-Sen. Harry Reid: 'No Sane Country' Would Grant Birthright Citizenship

Iconic Democrat Harry Reid, a Nevada senator in 1993, declared that “no sane country” would grant citizenship to illegal aliens and their children born in the U.S.

In a speech on the Senate floor on September 20, 1993, Sen. Reid said America can neither reward illegal entry into the U.S., nor afford to pay for the services taxpayers would have to fund if it did:

"If making it easy to be an illegal alien isn’t enough, how about offering a reward for being an illegal immigrant?

“No sane country would do that, right? Guess again.

“If you break our laws by entering this country without permission and give birth to a child, we reward that child with U.S. citizenship and guarantee a full access to all public and social services this society provides. And that’s a lot of services.”

The incentive for illegal aliens to have babies in the U.S. is both obvious and costly to taxpayers, Sen. Reid said:

“Is it any wonder that two-thirds of the babies born - at taxpayer expense - in county-run hospitals in Los Angeles are born to illegal alien mother?”

Rest - https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/flashback-sen-harry-reid-no-sane-country-would-grant-birthright-citizenship

High_Plains_Drifter
10-31-2018, 11:21 AM
This anchor baby stuff was started for SLAVES, to give THEIR children America citizenship if born on American soil. It was never meant for an invasion of aliens into America.

There's was also this interesting tidbit on twitter...

https://image.ibb.co/jVmxa0/anchor-babies.jpg

jimnyc
10-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Now THAT would work, the supreme court, the "law of the land". If this were to somehow get in front of them and they side with Trump, then I think he would be successful. And if there's going to be anyone who is gung ho about it, that will give it quite a few rounds in the ring before he would give up, would be Trump.

---

President Trump Vows to Take Birthright Citizenship For Illegals to Supreme Court ‘It Will Be Ended One Way Or Another’

This week, President Trump told Axios in an exclusive interview that he plans to sign an executive order to remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and illegal aliens.

In 2015 candidate Trump claimed he did not need a constitutional amendment to end this practice.

In 2013 295,000 babies were born to unauthorized-immigrant parents making up 8% of all US births that year.

The ‘birth tourism‘ industry in the US exploded; pregnant women from China, Russia, Mexico and other countries are traveling to the US to give birth here in order to cement their citizenship and collect benefits.

As expected, the Democrats are going crazy over the thought of losing their precious, dependent illegal aliens.

The 14th Amendment wasn’t designed to give babies of illegal aliens born on US soil American citizenship.

https://i.imgur.com/PWifZ3H.png

On Wednesday morning, President Trump vowed to end birthright citizenship for illegal aliens.

“This case will be settled by the United States Supreme Court!” Trump said.

TRUMP: So-called Birthright Citizenship, which costs our Country billions of dollars and is very unfair to our citizens, will be ended one way or the other. It is not covered by the 14th Amendment because of the words “subject to the jurisdiction thereof.” Many legal scholars agree…..

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/10/president-trump-vows-to-take-birthright-citizenship-for-illegals-to-supreme-court-it-will-be-ended-one-way-or-another/

jimnyc
10-31-2018, 12:41 PM
Ryan is right though, and I think Trump is changing in the back of his head, and now talk of the SC.

---

Donald Trump Swats Paul Ryan for Challenging Idea to End Birthright Citizenship

President Donald Trump criticized House Speaker Paul Ryan on Wednesday after the Speaker of the House challenged his idea of ending birthright citizenship.

“Paul Ryan should be focusing on holding the Majority rather than giving his opinions on Birthright Citizenship, something he knows nothing about!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

Ryan criticized Trump’s proposal of ending birthright citizenship with an executive order during an interview on a Kentucky radio station on Tuesday.

“You cannot end birthright citizenship with an Executive Order,” Ryan said. “We didn’t like it when Obama tried changing immigration laws via executive action, and obviously as conservatives, we believe in the Constitution.”

Ryan has already announced his retirement after the Congressional mid-term elections but has campaigned for Republicans in a handful of races.

Trump said Republican Congress without Paul Ryan as Speaker would focus more on stopping illegal immigration.

“Our new Republican Majority will work on this, Closing the Immigration Loopholes and Securing our Border!” he wrote.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/10/31/donald-trump-swats-paul-ryan-for-challenging-idea-to-end-birthright-citizenship/

jimnyc
10-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Now, with the SC and 2 more conservative judges confirmed in Trump's first term here - will that help at all should this issue be brought forth before them? Thoughts?

Gunny
10-31-2018, 01:14 PM
Now, with the SC and 2 more conservative judges confirmed in Trump's first term here - will that help at all should this issue be brought forth before them? Thoughts?Well, the answer shouldn't lie in the politics of the Justices. Shouldn't.

It is going to come down to interpretation. All there is to it. There ARE loopholes in the wording of the law. I doubt wordsmithing/legislating from the bench/just flat-out inventing interpretations from outer space was considered when the laws were written. Who knew back then people would take leave of their senses and common sense?

The intent of the law is clear. What individuals on the SC BELIEVE is not.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-31-2018, 01:18 PM
Maybe it's not right for President Trump to end anchor babies, maybe it is. He does have expansive powers when it comes to immigration.

However, it's not that whiny little prick, Ryan's job, to come out EVERY TIME and RIDICULE the PRESIDENT of HIS PARTY every freakin' time the president says something. He should either SUPPORT our president or just STFU. I'm sick of that little RINO and his TRASHING our president. This MUELLER farce would be OVER by now if that rotten little shit stain, Ryan, SUPPORTED our president. Getting his ass down the road will be a MAJOR benefit to President Trump, AND the republican party, especially if Jim Gordan takes over as speaker.