PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Democrat Can Beat Trump in 2020?

jimnyc
11-04-2018, 09:37 AM
What kind? An honest one. One who won't go for guns. One who will be against ILLEGAL immigration.

In other words, one that doesn't exist.

---

What Kind of Democrat Can Beat Trump in 2020?

The midterms will answer some questions, but not the biggest one of all.

Corey Lewandowski managed Donald Trump’s presidential campaign for a year, co-wrote a book about it and keeps in close touch with Trump, as we were reminded last month, when The Times reported on a physical altercation between him and John Kelly, the White House chief of staff, just outside the Oval Office.

So I figured that his thoughts about the best Democrat to take on Trump in 2020 were as germane as anybody’s.

He told me that Mike Bloomberg worried him, because Bloomberg’s personal wealth would spare him the distraction of fund-raising, and that Joe Biden had the right instinct when he said that if he and Trump had gone to high school together, he would have “beat the hell out of him.”

He noted that Beto O’Rourke, the Senate candidate in Texas, had impressively crossed the threshold of celebrity. Andrew Gillum, the candidate for governor in Florida, had caught lightning, too.

The right Democrat would need a talent for attention and an appetite for aggression, Lewandowski said: He or she must “be willing to go toe-to-toe with someone who I believe to be the greatest counterpuncher that politics has ever seen.”

The midterms are on Tuesday, but by Thursday they’ll be ancient history. We’ll turn to the next presidential election, using the Nov. 6 results as grist for arguments about who can topple Trump and how.

A moderate or a progressive? An old-timer or a newcomer? A woman or a man? That part of the drill is familiar, but it will have an unfamiliar urgency, because Trump ratchets up everything, especially the stakes.

Rest - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/02/opinion/midterms-democrats-trump-2020.html