View Full Version : Vote: freedom of the press

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Jim Acosta. His job IS to get into the WH and ask the tough questions and 'report' on them.

In "my own opinion", I'm of the belief that he purposely interrupts and disturbs the conferences more than he does anything else there. While his job is to ask those questions, that doesn't give him the right to interrupt and disrupt the conferences almost literally each and every time.

Should a press pass be allowed to be temporarily revoked when someone acts in such a manner within the WH and to the president directly?

I recall the famous Obama - "Would you let me come into your home and do blah blah blah?" - "Well, you're in my house now, act accordingly" or something like that, and the left went nuts over it. And to an extent he is correct. While the press has their own freedoms...

---

pete311
11-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Trump and Acosta have a feud. Trump using this order as retaliation. This is what China does.

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Trump and Acosta have a feud. Trump using this order as retaliation. This is what China does.

So the press in attendance, they should have carte blanch to interrupt at will and fuck up a press conference?

I think it's went on more than enough. He does this every single time and screws up so many press conferences, even though he has been asked to stop interrupting like a hundred times. And then this time, in addition to interrupting after being again asked to stop - he shoved the interns arm away when she went to take the mic, however gently it may have been, it was out of order. He deserves a timeout IMO. You're entitled to yours.

Noir
11-08-2018, 11:40 AM
No, the relationship should be adversarial.

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Fair enough.

I agree in adversarial questioning, to get to the answers, the tough questions that others are afraid to ask - but that the public surely wants answered.

But they are already allowed to ask questions - they need not be interrupting EVERY press conference to do so. And placing hands on anyone should never be allowed. Being adversarial is one thing - fucking up a press conference and placing hands on someone is entirely different. Why not simply ask away when he has the mic, or wait til the next time he can get the mic? WHY does it need to always be an interruption? I just ask a simple why as to why placing things in order cannot be respected - and a purposeful argument started each and every time - when what he wants is easily attainable?

I personally don't mind that anyone doing the above actions gets a time out to understand that the above actions are unacceptable. I don't think it should turn into a free for all where everyone talks over one another and no one hears anything.

pete311
11-08-2018, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't say adversarial, but fierce truth seeking. That is the roles of the journalists, not to fight against the president, but to fight to find the truth.

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't say adversarial, but fierce truth seeking. That is the roles of the journalists, not to fight against the president, but to fight to find the truth.

And I agree 100% and have no issue with that. I WANT the tough questions that no one else has the gonads to ask, and those we elect should answer the questions. But that doesn't mean decorum goes completely out the window just for one reporter that wants to continually speak over the president over and over, and does fight the president, instead of just asking the tough questions. BIG difference.

FakeNewsSux
11-08-2018, 11:51 AM

That's right, we should do it like they do in America. Take your cue from The Dear Leader, Obama and just refuse to have press conferences.

Noir
11-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Fair enough.

I agree in adversarial questioning, to get to the answers, the tough questions that others are afraid to ask - but that the public surely wants answered.

But they are already allowed to ask questions - they need not be interrupting EVERY press conference to do so. And placing hands on anyone should never be allowed. Being adversarial is one thing - fucking up a press conference and placing hands on someone is entirely different. Why not simply ask away when he has the mic, or wait til the next time he can get the mic? WHY does it need to always be an interruption? I just ask a simple why as to why placing things in order cannot be respected - and a purposeful argument started each and every time - when what he wants is easily attainable?

I personally don't mind that anyone doing the above actions gets a time out to understand that the above actions are unacceptable. I don't think it should turn into a free for all where everyone talks over one another and no one hears anything.

Let the press regulate themselves, if some journalist is taking up too much time etc, it’s up to the other jurnolists to police that.

If all the press are are trying to talk over each other and not a single question gets asked of the president then fine, the press can content themselves with that - which, rather quickly, they will realise they won’t.

Noir
11-08-2018, 11:56 AM

‘Fight to find the truth’ and ‘sit down and shut up when you’re told to’ are not overly compatible modes.

Abbey Marie
11-08-2018, 11:56 AM
When Jim Acost-her forcibly refused to yield the mike to that young woman, he crossed a line. There is no stifling of freedom of the press. CNN can send any number of other guys to take his place.

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Let the press regulate themselves, if some jurnolist is taking up too much time etc, it’s up to the other jurnolists to police that.

If all the press are are trying to talk over each other and not a single question gets asked of the president then fine, the press can content themselves with that - which, rather quickly, they will realise they won’t.

Well, the way it's done in America is to have someone in charge of passing the mic to ensure that various outlets get guaranteed time. It's better than times in which the president just points to someone, and then can be accused of purposely avoiding others. This is a proven way to get around the room to ask many questions.

We see how the press operates. Let them be in charge of fucking up stories in their various newsrooms. But no way in hell they walk into the White House and get to take over and be the ultimate of disruptions.

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 11:59 AM
‘Fight to find the truth’ and ‘sit down and shut up when you’re told to’ are not overly compatible modes.

Taking turns and asking the adversarial questions is more than easily attained. No one is forcing people to sit down, other than one gentleman that over and over disrupts the press conferences. His fight to find the truth can still be done the SAME without purposely trying to fight with Trump.

Elessar
11-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Said it before and going to say it again. TRUTH is relative to the individual. FACT is relative to the situation.

And I agree 100% and have no issue with that. I WANT the tough questions that no one else has the gonads to ask, and those we elect should answer the questions. But that doesn't mean decorum goes completely out the window just for one reporter that wants to continually speak over the president over and over, and does fight the president, instead of just asking the tough questions. BIG difference.

Who does not want the 'Tough Questions' answered? I'll tell you who - The ones asking that do not
want the tough answers. Not all answers are going to be rainbows and Skittles.

You are right. There is no mature sense in being a constant interruption every
time there is a press conference, as though the others in the Press Gallery
have no right for floor time. That is how Acosta operates, as if only He has floor time.

jimnyc
11-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Said it before and going to say it again. TRUTH is relative to the individual. FACT is relative to the situation.

Who does not want the 'Tough Questions' answered? I'll tell you who - The ones asking that do not
want the tough answers. Not all answers are going to be rainbows and Skittles.

You are right. There is no mature sense in being a constant interruption every
time there is a press conference, as though the others in the Press Gallery
have no right for floor time. That is how Acosta operates, as if only He has floor time.

I think his MO is to continually asking questions that he thinks place Trump in a bad light, no matter how many times the question may have already been answered. And then he purposely pokes and prods and refuses to yield to others, so that he can get Trump to respond - and then that's his news story for the night. Kinda pathetic.

Elessar
11-08-2018, 12:21 PM
I think his MO is to continually asking questions that he thinks place Trump in a bad light, no matter how many times the question may have already been answered. And then he purposely pokes and prods and refuses to yield to others, so that he can get Trump to respond - and then that's his news story for the night. Kinda pathetic.

Just a thought: Maybe the President needs one or two big, burly Ex-NFL defensive linemen
as 'aides' during a press conference!:laugh:

LongTermGuy
11-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Acosta and other Democrat "Leftist" feel Trump was not supposed to win....Now he and most of the other so called "reporters" are part of the Radical Left Democrat Resistance ...They no longer fit in the reporter category...Now they are disrupters ...

Gunny
11-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Trump and Acosta have a feud. Trump using this order as retaliation. This is what China does.And you have Acosta's handbook on disrupting to deflect. You use it in lieu of any reasoned/informed argument or point.

Gunny
11-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Jim Acosta. His job IS to get into the WH and ask the tough questions and 'report' on them.

In "my own opinion", I'm of the belief that he purposely interrupts and disturbs the conferences more than he does anything else there. While his job is to ask those questions, that doesn't give him the right to interrupt and disrupt the conferences almost literally each and every time.

Should a press pass be allowed to be temporarily revoked when someone acts in such a manner within the WH and to the president directly?

I recall the famous Obama - "Would you let me come into your home and do blah blah blah?" - "Well, you're in my house now, act accordingly" or something like that, and the left went nuts over it. And to an extent he is correct. While the press has their own freedoms...

---
You sure as f*ck don't see them interfering to stop a crime in progress. The story is more important :rolleyes:

High_Plains_Drifter
11-08-2018, 04:02 PM
When these mongrels are asking 'questions,' that are akin to... "so when did you stop beating your wife," and then consequently being highly combative and rude, they're not a reporter, they're there to throw insinuations and pick fights, and when they do it with the PRESIDENT, they should not only get their White House Press Corp pass revoked, PERMANENTLY, they should get BITCH SLAPPED on their way out the fucking door.

aboutime
11-08-2018, 05:30 PM

You obviously support disruptive kids in your Pre-school class who are just like Acosta.

You also have NO respect for Authority. Namely, your Pre-school teacher, or the President.

Elessar
11-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Acosta and other Democrat "Leftist" feel Trump was not supposed to win....Now he and most of the other so called "reporters" are part of the Radical Left Democrat Resistance ...They no longer fit in the reporter category...Now they are disrupters ...

That is apparently been the game plan all along with the MSM.

And you have Acosta's handbook on disrupting to deflect. You use it in lieu of any reasoned/informed argument or point.

Acosta is a wimp. He has the mouth and voice of a bear, but the balls of a chipmunk if faced down.

You sure as f*ck don't see them interfering to stop a crime in progress. The story is more important :rolleyes:

Quite True. Don't step up for you fellow citizen....Stand back and
make a story of it!

When these mongrels are asking 'questions,' that are akin to... "so when did you stop beating your wife," and then consequently being highly combative and rude, they're not a reporter, they're there to throw insinuations and pick fights, and when they do it with the PRESIDENT, they should not only get their White House Press Corp pass revoked, PERMANENTLY, they should get BITCH SLAPPED on their way out the fucking door.

They, of that mindset, have no business being in the White House Press Corps. All they are doing
is being combative and contrary. There is no effort there to to report news...just report how their
comments, accusations, and projected opinions are dealt with.

You obviously support disruptive kids in your Pre-school class who are just like Acosta.
You also have NO respect for Authority. Namely, your Pre-school teacher, or the President.

Not to be taken seriously 97% of the time. liberals have their marching orders. Pete is the drum major on DP.

Drummond
11-08-2018, 06:44 PM
When Jim Acost-her forcibly refused to yield the mike to that young woman, he crossed a line. There is no stifling of the freedom of the press. CNN can send any number of other guys to take his place.

Couldn't agree more (.. that footage became a prime news item on this side of the Pond, too !).

The rude CNN journalist surely attends such press conferences as a representative of his employers ? It'd be reasonable, to me, if CNN were itself banned from future Press Conferences for - at least - an extended time. Time for them to reflect that arrogance and rudeness will win them nothing on Trump's watch.

Quite apart from the matter of exactly how that journalist behaved, there's also the point that the more he'd be able to hog the mike, the more he was denying other journalists THEIR time to ask questions. Therefore, all other media outfits should have ample reason to side with the President on this one.

Gunny
11-08-2018, 07:42 PM
That is apparently been the game plan all along with the MSM.

Acosta is a wimp. He has the mouth and voice of a bear, but the balls of a chipmunk if faced down.

Quite True. Don't step up for you fellow citizen....Stand back and
make a story of it!

They, of that mindset, have no business being in the White House Press Corps. All they are doing
is being combative and contrary. There is no effort there to to report news...just report how their
comments, accusations, and projected opinions are dealt with.

Not to be taken seriously 97% of the time. liberals have their marching orders. Pete is the drum major on DP.

Their stance is a "No Sale" with me, and one I questioned constantly the whole time I was in journalism in school. We have a MORAL obligation to our fellow man that supercedes our self-serving obligation to be the first to post a youtube video of an event. Especially when others lives/safety is endangered.

I WOULD however say that I would be more than tempted to just watch some journalist get his/her ass kicked while proclaiming their journalistic neutrality.

Further. It is NOT journalism to make oneself part of the story my imposing one's personal beliefs onto the discussion. When I took journalism that was considered quite unprofessional.

Elessar
11-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Their stance is a "No Sale" with me, and one I questioned constantly the whole time I was in journalism in school. We have a MORAL obligation to our fellow man that supercedes our self-serving obligation to be the first to post a youtube video of an event. Especially when others lives/safety is endangered.

I WOULD however say that I would be more than tempted to just watch some journalist get his/her ass kicked while proclaiming their journalistic neutrality.

Further. It is NOT journalism to make oneself part of the story my imposing one's personal beliefs onto the discussion. When I took journalism that was considered quite unprofessional.

Journalism is a writer, not some two-bit rookie 'reporter'. Journalist is an over-used
and inaccurate term applied to anyone with a microphone, video, or web-talk.

Real Journalists betray FACTS, not some opinionated drivel displayed in public
for the sense of sensation.

Gunny
11-08-2018, 08:10 PM
Journalism is a writer, not some two-bit rookie 'reporter'. Journalist is an over-used
and inaccurate term applied to anyone with a microphone, video, or web-talk.

Real Journalists betray FACTS, not some opinionated drivel displayed in public
for the sense of sensation.I took journalism all through HS and had a scholarship from the Miami Herald (I had GOOD friends at the time). I'll twist Jack Nicholson's words a bit here: I couldn't handle the truth to journalism so I dumped it. It's a rigged deck from the header on down. I mistakenly believed for the most part it was reporting the facts and truth. What it actually is is reporting them in a manner that leads the reader to the conclusion you want the reader to come to which is usually determined by the politics of the paper you work for (there was no internet -- Al Gore hadn't invented it yet).

Even then we felt we had and were taught to have some sort of obligation to the truth. Journalism is nothing more than sensationalism, damn the facts, now.

Elessar
11-09-2018, 12:16 AM
I took journalism all through HS and had a scholarship from the Miami Herald (I had GOOD friends at the time). I'll twist Jack Nicholson's words a bit here: I couldn't handle the truth to journalism so I dumped it. It's a rigged deck from the header on down. I mistakenly believed for the most part it was reporting the facts and truth. What it actually is is reporting them in a manner that leads the reader to the conclusion you want the reader to come to which is usually determined by the politics of the paper you work for (there was no internet -- Al Gore hadn't invented it yet).

Even then we felt we had and were taught to have some sort of obligation to the truth. Journalism is nothing more than sensationalism, damn the facts, now.

I learned to write Well in HS and College.

We had the option of writing fantasy, opinion, fact, and technical, or systems data.
Lately, these 'writers' and or faces on the internet only delve into opinion, projection,
and delete FACT from all of it?

True journalism is DEAD in the MSM! It is all a projection of opinion not based on
FACT, but using lies, innuendo, and pressure from superiors to deflect the flaws
in their beliefs.

liberla mouthpieces stink, suck, and are piss-poor examples of Freedom of the Press.

CSM
11-09-2018, 07:11 AM
I view freedom of the press much like freedom of speech: They have the right to say what they want BUT that right does not preclude anyone from the results of exercising that right....