PDA

View Full Version : Just About Done With TV....

Pale Rider
08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Commercials, commercials, and more commercials. It's overwhelmingly sickening the amount of commercials, and how MORONIC some of them are on TV. I have a 56" 1080P HDTV that's hardly six months old, and I'm about ready to sell it. Anymore, it's more like, "we interrupt these commercials to bring you a program." Seriously, you can NOT surf and see what's on, because 90% of the channels you surf past will be playing commercials. I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!!!! TV is a damn sick joke anymore. 90% of it is fucking garbage.

darin
08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
First - show-off.

Second - I'm done with TV unless BSG, Lost, Heros, SG1-Atlantis, Psych, Monk, Man vs. Wild, Survivorman, My Name is Earl, The Office, Eureka, or NFL is on.

:)

BTW - Your avatar is vulgar. :(

"We want the ball and we're gonna score!"
- Matt Hasselbeck 2 minutes before he throws the game-winning TD...to the Packers' Al (Hair too Long) Harris.

nevadamedic
08-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Commercials, commercials, and more commercials. It's overwhelmingly sickening the amount of commercials, and how MORONIC some of them are on TV. I have a 56" 1080P HDTV that's hardly six months old, and I'm about ready to sell it. Anymore, it's more like, "we interrupt these commercials to bring you a program." Seriously, you can NOT surf and see what's on, because 90% of the channels you surf past will be playing commercials. I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!!!! TV is damn sick joke anymore. 90% of it is fucking garbage.

Just do what I do, get Dish Network and their DVR, record everything you want to watch and watch it right after and fast forward through the commercials like you would do on a VCR. I never watch anything live anymore. I watch it right after it's over so I can fast forward through the crap. Also Dish Network has the best High Definition Service and you can actually record and play back on High Definition and it comes out awesome, that's the service I have. They also have picture in picture on their tuners.

First - show-off.

Second - I'm done with TV unless BSG, Lost, Heros, SG1-Atlantis, Psych, Monk, Man vs. Wild, Survivorman, My Name is Earl, The Office, Eureka, or NFL is on.

- Matt Hasselbeck 2 minutes before he throws the game-winning TD...to the Packers' Al (Hair too Long) Harris.

You left out Big Brother, Law and Order SVU and America's Most Wanted. Survivor is awesome though, and this season is looking to be the best yet, filed entirely in China! I cant wait for the season premire in September. Kid Nation is also looking pretty good, I just don't know when it starts, supposedly in the fall...............

darin
08-27-2007, 11:47 PM
I find Big Brother, Survivor, and Law and Order boring to the nth degree. Although I WOULD like to visit China.

Kid Nation? HOLY SHIT dude - I will NEVER sit around and watch DUMB-ASS kids with an over-inflated EGO sitting around bitching about 'fairness' and 'voting' and trying to be grown ups. My daughter watches Flight29 Down. Every time I catch her into the show I interupt it with "That dumb-ass kid; She's NOT grown up. She's NOT doing the right thing. He/She can NOT do 'anything they set their mind to' because their mind is so blank and empty of wisdom, rational thought, and proper decision-making skills.' "Like a Liberal, Daddy?" she asks..

"Very much so, dear..."

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 12:04 AM
First - show-off.

I've got 100+ channels, and I watch maybe five of them. The rest are utter crap. And my point is, that COMMERCIALS are dominating MUCH of the air time. The MAJORITY of the air time, and they're insultingly sophomoric and imbicilic.

My avatar is vulgar? Some of the things you say leave me wondering just where the hell your heads at sometimes.

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Just do what I do, get Dish Network and their DVR, record everything you want to watch and watch it right after and fast forward through the commercials like you would do on a VCR.

I would if I had southern exposure.

darin
08-28-2007, 12:14 AM
My avatar is vulgar? Some of the things you say leave me wondering just where the hell your heads at sometimes.

psst - it's a rival NFC team. ;) A team which beat seattle in that play-off game, AND kicked our asses to the tune of 48-13 last week. ;)

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 12:23 AM
psst - it's a rival NFC team. ;) A team which beat seattle in that play-off game, AND kicked our asses to the tune of 48-13 last week. ;)

I wasn't able to watch the game. It wasn't aired here, and I didn't catch the score.

Even though I live in Nevada, we don't have a pro team, so, I grew up in Wisconsin. The Pack is the only team I've ever really supported. Yeah.... I'm a cheese head. I'll have a brat and a cold Pabst... :D

Guernicaa
08-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Well of course you feel that way Pale...
It's obvious that you've been tunning into the 700 club a bit too much.

-Cp
08-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Pale - ask your cable provider about a DVR most have them now - like Comcast... then you can do like NM and record everything then watch TV on YOUR time and fast forward thru all commercials...

08-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Commercials, commercials, and more commercials. It's overwhelmingly sickening the amount of commercials, and how MORONIC some of them are on TV. I have a 56" 1080P HDTV that's hardly six months old, and I'm about ready to sell it. Anymore, it's more like, "we interrupt these commercials to bring you a program." Seriously, you can NOT surf and see what's on, because 90% of the channels you surf past will be playing commercials. I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT!!!! TV is damn sick joke anymore. 90% of it is fucking garbage.

I hear you. I think its time I cut alot of my television out. not that i watch much anymore anyway.

KarlMarx
08-28-2007, 04:22 AM
I like "24" and "Mythbusters"...

anyway, who needs TV when we have www.debatepolicy.com (http://www.debatepolicy.com)????? :)

Gaffer
08-28-2007, 07:58 AM
I quit watching most TV back in the 80's. By 1992 I quit watching it entirely. I started watching a little bit of news in the late 90's. we currently have direct TV, but its shut off until I get my pension. I have not watched network TV since 1988. I use to watch the history channel a lot but it has become the modern marvels channel. Discovery channel is the motorcycle channel.

There is definitely an increase in commercials. I prefer to watch movies on the movie channels. But even that is boring because they are still showing mostly movies from the 80's. Movies I had no interest in back then and even less interest now.

No TV right now. Can't say I miss it. I know I can get it turned on in a month and the same shit will be shown that I saw 6 months ago. The internet is a lot more interesting and informative.

diuretic
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
We get five free to air tv channels. Two are publicly funded but one of those has a charter which allows it to run commercials albeit not to the level of the three commercial channels. We have one cable provider (really, one) where I am, there is a second one available on the east coast but it's never bothered to go anywhere else. I have to admit I watch the commercial free-to-air channels very selectively and very infrequently. I like our publicly owned non-sponsored channel but even then I'm selective. Gaffer is right, the internet is far more informative and interesting AND I don't lose the remote for the internet (only cos there isn't one) :laugh2:

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 09:11 AM
I quit watching most TV back in the 80's. By 1992 I quit watching it entirely. I started watching a little bit of news in the late 90's. we currently have direct TV, but its shut off until I get my pension. I have not watched network TV since 1988. I use to watch the history channel a lot but it has become the modern marvels channel. Discovery channel is the motorcycle channel.

There is definitely an increase in commercials. I prefer to watch movies on the movie channels. But even that is boring because they are still showing mostly movies from the 80's. Movies I had no interest in back then and even less interest now.

No TV right now. Can't say I miss it. I know I can get it turned on in a month and the same shit will be shown that I saw 6 months ago. The internet is a lot more interesting and informative.

I'm going to get to the don't watch it at all point Gaf. I watch TCM because they run the old movies commercial free. What a treat. And I like PBS-HD. They run different programs than the regular analog PBS channel, and they don't have commercials either. Everything else, the number of commercials they run are ruining it. It seems every year you think they just can't run any more commercials, but they do.

At some point I'll have to buy a Tivo or something of the sort to record TV, so I can fast forward through the commercials.

I agree about the internet. I spend most of my entertainment time online. Thank God for high speed cable. I do enjoy the internet.

dan
08-28-2007, 09:13 AM
I moved around March and couldn't afford cable at the time, and I haven't missed it since.

However, I can't stand those smug people who immediately look down on someone if they watch television at all. "Ummm, I think I have better things to do with my time than worship the television.":rolleyes: There's still good shows on TV, mostly on cable these days, but at this point, I know that anything I want to see that's worth seeing will be out on DVD eventually.

darin
08-28-2007, 09:16 AM
here's good 'tv' ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NIdTr9Bu-o

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Well of course you feel that way Pale...
It's obvious that you've been tunning into the 700 club a bit too much.

Oooh... ha ha... that was funny... you got me... you're such a wit... ha ha... :uhoh:

jackass
08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
here's good 'tv' ;)

Not "good" tv Darin. GREAT tv! :laugh2:

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 11:34 PM
My TV hasn't been on all day, and it's actually a pleasant departure from the norm. I'm listening to URGE radio, "Blues Essentials" on my WMP and posting on here. Not bad.

nevadamedic
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Oooh... ha ha... that was funny... you got me... you're such a wit... ha ha... :uhoh:

He's an idiot...............

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 11:39 PM
He's an idiot...............

That's putting it mild.

nevadamedic
08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
That's putting it mild.

Also immature. He gets off on posting other peoples comments as his signature.

Pale Rider
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Also immature. He gets off on posting other peoples comments as his signature.

Just give him enough rope... he'll hang himself.

nevadamedic
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Just give him enough rope... he'll hang himself.

He hasn't yet and he has said extremly rude things or mocked almost every member on this board.

Pale Rider
08-29-2007, 01:18 AM
He hasn't yet and he has said extremly rude things or mocked almost every member on this board.

Listen... I've been with Jimmy for over four years... believe me when I say he sees what's going on, as does the rest of the mod staff. They have their own little forum here that we can't see where they discuss what goes on. If obama really deserves to be banned, he will be.

nevadamedic
08-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Listen... I've been with Jimmy for over four years... believe me when I say he sees what's going on, as does the rest of the mod staff. They have their own little forum here that we can't see where they discuss what goes on. If obama really deserves to be banned, he will be.

I wasn't saying anything about the staff. What I was pointing out is Obama knows the line and he stops before he puts his foot down over the line.