PDA

View Full Version : Death toll rises to 76 in California fire with winds ahead

jimnyc
11-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Still over 1,300 missing over a week after this fire broke out. This is one of the worst natural disaster "fires" I have ever seen in my life.

So many dead, so many missing. So many families screwed up. :(

---

Death toll rises to 76 in California fire with winds ahead

CHICO, Calif. (AP) — Northern California crews battling the country’s deadliest wildfire in a century were bracing for strong winds, with gusts up to 50 miles per hour, creating the potential to erode gains they have made in containing a disaster that has killed at least 76 and leveled a town.

Even as hundreds of searchers sift through the rubble in the town of Paradise looking for the dead, nearly 1,300 people remain unaccounted for more than a week after the fire sparked in Butte County, Sheriff Kory Honea announced Saturday night. Authorities stressed that the long roster does not mean they believe all those people are missing.

Honea pleaded with fire evacuees Saturday to review the list of those reported as unreachable by family and friends and call if they are safe. Deputies have located hundreds of people to date, but the overall number keeps growing because they are adding more names, including those from the disaster’s chaotic early hours, Honea said.

“It’s really very important for you to take a look at the list and call us if you’re on the list,” he said.

The remains of five more people were found Saturday, including four in the decimated town of Paradise and one in nearby Concow, bringing the number of dead to 76.

Honea said among the dead was Lolene Rios, 56, whose son Jed tearfully told KXTV in Sacramento that his mother “had endless amount of love for me.”

President Donald Trump toured the area Saturday, joined by California’s outgoing and incoming governors, both Democrats who have traded sharp barbs with the Republican administration. He also visited Southern California, where firefighters were making progress on a wildfire that tore through communities west of Los Angeles from Thousand Oaks to Malibu, killing three people.

The president pledged the full support of the federal government. Gov. Jerry Brown and Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom thanked him for coming out.

“We’ve never seen anything like this in California, we’ve never seen anything like this yet. It’s like total devastation,” Trump said as he stood amid the ruins of Paradise.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/news/death-toll-rises-to-76-in-california-fire-with-winds-ahead/

Noir
11-18-2018, 01:46 PM
The president pledged the full support of the federal government. Gov. Jerry Brown and Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom thanked him for coming out.

Well that’s certainly an improvement- last week a California local I know had a few short words for trump after he mused about cutting federal funding because the fires were a result of poor management of federal funds, if you can believe reading that from your president when you’re being evacuated from your house...

jimnyc
11-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Well that’s certainly an improvement- last week a California local I know had a few short words for trump after he mused about cutting federal funding because the fires were a result of poor management of federal funds, if you can believe reading that from your president when you’re being evacuated from your house...

And regardless, you still find a way to run with news that didn't happen, and only an "improvement" that he visited Cali and assured everyone they will have the support of the federal government - aka funding.

But also to note if we are going off course - is SO MANY of the celebrities having one another's backs for protection with guns, and how they are warning the looters they will be shot. Interesting that some of them have guns... and now it's suddenly ok to use them for protection, even "assault rifles". I say GOOD for them, even if it is a bit hypocritical.

Noir
11-18-2018, 02:14 PM
And regardless, you still find a way to run with news that didn't happen

I mean, he literally said it, so I don’t know in what sense it “didn’t happen”.

jimnyc
11-18-2018, 02:42 PM
This was 3 days prior to his visit.

I mean, he literally said it, so I don’t know in what sense it “didn’t happen”.

President Trump has blamed "poor forest management" in California for the wildfires that have swept across the state.

In a couple of tweets, he has suggested that the state has not managed its forests properly, despite receiving "billions of dollars" each year.

The comments came shortly after he issued an emergency declaration to allow US federal government funds to be used to tackle three blazes in the state.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46183690

As for his other comments on the 10th, he told them "remedy now" or no more fed payments. He didn't state he wouldn't help with the fire situation. I read his comments as it being something they need to fix going forward, that it's unacceptable. But I know you'll find the worst in words an ignore everything else. :) Did he get payments to them already prior to his twitter comments?

Noir
11-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Good - so we’re agreed it did happen.

Are we also agreed that if say these kinds of wildfires happen next year, that trump is not going to say ‘well the Forrest’s haven’t been managed well enough so as I said last year I’m stopping the funding’?

Gunny
11-18-2018, 07:10 PM

Are we also agreed that if say these kinds of wildfires happen next year, that trump is not going to say ‘well the Forrest’s haven’t been managed well enough so as I said last year I’m stopping the funding’?Do you really sit up at night and work on these little quips in the wee hours of the morning?:rolleyes:

Wildfires are apolitical. Except for dyed-in-the-wool gotta drag Trump into it no matter what zombies like you.

Noir
11-19-2018, 12:23 AM
Wildfires are apolitical. Except for dyed-in-the-wool gotta drag Trump into it no matter what zombies like you.

They become a little bit political when the president starts tweeting during a wildfire disaster that if things don’t change he’s going to cut funding, no?

jimnyc
11-19-2018, 08:33 AM

Are we also agreed that if say these kinds of wildfires happen next year, that trump is not going to say ‘well the Forrest’s haven’t been managed well enough so as I said last year I’m stopping the funding’?

Ummm, no. Nice try though.

NightTrain
11-19-2018, 08:39 AM
So the latest nutter conspiracy theory is that the Feds are using Energy Weapons to burn areas of California down to drive down real estate prices to build a high-speed railway.