PDA

View Full Version : Theresa May: Brexit won't be easier if I'm ousted

jimnyc
11-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Theresa May: Brexit won't be easier if I'm ousted

Theresa May has told her critics that getting rid of her as PM would not make delivering Brexit any easier.

Mrs May defended last week's draft agreement for leaving the EU and said there was a "critical" week ahead.

She suggested agreeing more details of UK's future relationship with the EU, ahead of an expected summit next week, could satisfy the concerns of some of the Tory MPs opposed to her plans.

Ex-Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said the UK was being "bullied" by the EU.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said his party could get a better deal in time for Brexit, which is due to happen on 29 March.

May and Corbyn interviews and reaction
Referendum not an option for now - Corbyn
Reality Check: What does the draft agreement reveal?
Rules for any challenge to Theresa May

Rest - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46250607

UK Conservative lawmaker says PM May faces day of reckoning on Monday

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May faces a day of reckoning on Monday as mutinous lawmakers try to trigger a no confidence vote over their opposition to her draft European Union divorce deal, a rebel member of her Conservative Party said.

“This is absolutely the day at which we stand at the bar of history on this,” Simon Clarke told the BBC, adding “this day must be the point at which ... action is taken”.

“If we continue with this plan we are simply not going to have a government because the clear threat it poses to the integrity of the union is something which our colleagues the DUP will simply put up with,” he told BBC radio.

Clarke, who has submitted a letter of no confidence in the British leader, said every hour and every day that the Brexit deal was not rejected, was a day wasted on credible negotiations.

“It is quite clear to me that the captain is driving the ship at the rocks,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-may-lawmaker-challenge/uk-conservative-lawmaker-says-pm-may-faces-day-of-reckoning-on-monday-idUSKCN1NO0LX?il=0