PDA

View Full Version : From the files of: Should not even be a law. Or "We make our own criminals"

darin
11-21-2018, 03:23 AM
Under the right context, 157mph is not a big thing; no victim other than fuel economy. The USA is behind the times on several issues - the archaic speed limits is just one of those.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/north-carolina-speeder-caught-after-157-mph-chase

Police in North Carolina caught an alleged street racer early Monday morning who hit 157 mph in a 55 mph zone on highway 70 in Goldsboro.
Mark Allen Crabtree was arrested after leading officers on a chase through two counties, which ended when a spike strip was deployed to flatten the tires on his 2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS, Spectrum News reported.
Police said they believe Crabtree was racing with other vehicles prior to the pursuit, which involved three law enforcement agencies, but no other arrests were made.
Crabtree is facing several counts, including reckless driving, property damage and Felony Fleeing to Elude, and was released on a $3,000 bond.
His car was seized under the state’s “Run and Done” law, which is aimed at preventing high-speed pursuits and could lead to the forfeiture and auction of the vehicle if Crabtree is convicted, with the proceeds earmarked for the North Carolina school system.

Noir
11-21-2018, 06:39 AM
Under the right context, 157mph is not a big thing; no victim other than fuel economy. The USA is behind the times on several issues - the archaic speed limits is just one of those.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/north-carolina-speeder-caught-after-157-mph-chase

What about under the context of racing other drivers?

darin
11-21-2018, 07:49 AM
What about under the context of racing other drivers?

$20 for every 10mph over the speed limit. That should be the fine for that. If they hurt someone, Jail. But if nobody was hurt? No victim.

High_Plains_Drifter
11-21-2018, 11:48 AM
My 2017 2SS Camaro has "run flat" tires. I imagine a spike strip would make high speed iffy, but it wouldn't stop the car.

Yeah the 55 mph speed limit for rural highways in America is moronic. That speed limit was set way back when cars still had CARBURETORS, and we had a huge FUEL CRUNCH going on and cars drank more gas at higher speeds, not to mention cars were huge lumbering things that didn't really handle well and had shitty brakes. Not so with today's modern fuel injected engines, tuned suspensions and disc brakes, anti collision alerts, anti collision braking, lane deviation alert, et. The 55 mph speed limit is ARCHAIC, and really, REALLY needs to get changed. I notice most cars do cruise between 62 and 65, even though the speed limit is 55, and that includes the COPS. They know 55 is a JOKE, but they don't want it changed because it's an easy way to fill the coffers with quick cash, it's a cash cow. The department needs some extra money, just go sit out on the highway with the radar gun and start writing out speeding tickets. There's nothing DANGEROUS going on, but lots of people get TICKETS.

My Camaro has a 180 mph top speed. I can imagine what kind of a ticket I'd get if I decided to really play around some day and got caught.

Thankfully on the trip out to Montana, Minnesota has a 75 mph interstate speed limit, but S.D., the little little NW nip of Wyoming you hit, and Montana have 80 mph. So set the cruise on 83 and just sail along. You make good time.