PDA

View Full Version : wow I had no idea!

Trinity
08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Why didn't they send this info home at the end of the school year?

My 8 year old brings home his reading assessment test from school which is the Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI) they took last week.

before I give you results I will give you some history this child claims he does not like to read, all last year he refused to read 20 minutes at night and write a couple of sentences about what he read. Instead he would write sentences about a story he made up in his head which he would then have to read to make sure he spelled everything correctly, so I let him go with it. Spelling tests this child never studied for a spelling test nor did he ever score lower then a 98% on a spelling test.

This is the same child who was in the lowest reading class in 1st and 2nd grade and was receiving additional help in reading in both grades. ( my oldest also struggled with reading and still does sometimes. I just assumed my youngest was following suit)

At the end of second grade their score should be 475.
At the beginning of 3rd grade their score should be 475.
At the end of 3rd grade their score should be 590.

Now for his test scores I was blown away..........
Jesse scored a 641 at the end of 2nd grade.
Jesse scored a 532 at the beginning of 3rd grade ( yeah I slacked off during the summer.)

He also informed me very happily that he is in the highest reading class in the third grade.

truthmatters
08-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Good for him!

I really do wish that school could be more about learning to love to learn.

When kids enjoy what is being presented they will just soak it up.

Good work Mom!

remie
08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Why didn't they send this info home at the end of the school year?

My 8 year old brings home his reading assessment test from school which is the Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI) they took last week.

before I give you results I will give you some history this child claims he does not like to read, all last year he refused to read 20 minutes at night and write a couple of sentences about what he read. Instead he would write sentences about a story he made up in his head which he would then have to read to make sure he spelled everything correctly, so I let him go with it. Spelling tests this child never studied for a spelling test nor did he ever score lower then a 98% on a spelling test.

This is the same child who was in the lowest reading class in 1st and 2nd grade and was receiving additional help in reading in both grades. ( my oldest also struggled with reading and still does sometimes. I just assumed my youngest was following suit)

At the end of second grade their score should be 475.
At the beginning of 3rd grade their score should be 475.
At the end of 3rd grade their score should be 590.

Now for his test scores I was blown away..........
Jesse scored a 641 at the end of 2nd grade.
Jesse scored a 532 at the beginning of 3rd grade ( yeah I slacked off during the summer.)

He also informed me very happily that he is in the highest reading class in the third grade.

Good on ya. His path in life just got easier. Kids that read well navigate school and life in general much more easily. One of our sons just started second grade and is reading on a fourth grade level. It is amazing how success feeds on itself.

Trinity
08-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Good for him!

I really do wish that school could be more about learning to love to learn.

When kids enjoy what is being presented they will just soak it up.

Good work Mom!

Thanks!

That would be great wouldn't it.....I can hear it now......No Mom I'm not sick, I have to go to school today, we are learning some really cool stuff, and I don't want to miss anything!

Trinity
08-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Good on ya. His path in life just got easier. Kids that read well navigate school and life in general much more easily. One of our sons just started second grade and is reading on a fourth grade level. It is amazing how success feeds on itself.

Yeah I see a whole bunch more doors opening up for him, that I was unsure he would see, based on 1st and 2nd grade.

I myself love to read, mostly fictional. I have been trying to some degree to teach my boys how great reading really is, it's better then going to the movies, you get so much more detail reading. Now if I could just get them to read one of the Harry Potter books I think they would be surprised at how much was left out of the movie. But of course that's like pulling teeth with my oldest however my youngest may just surprise me again.

Trigg
08-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah I see a whole bunch more doors opening up for him, that I was unsure he would see, based on 1st and 2nd grade.

I myself love to read, mostly fictional. I have been trying to some degree to teach my boys how great reading really is, it's better then going to the movies, you get so much more detail reading. Now if I could just get them to read one of the Harry Potter books I think they would be surprised at how much was left out of the movie. But of course that's like pulling teeth with my oldest however my youngest may just surprise me again.

Don't give up on your oldest. Mine wasn't a reader until we found books that could have been written for him.

He liked Brian's Winter/Eragon, and other books about young boys surviving by themselves out in the wild.