PDA

View Full Version : Bill Nye

Radbrad
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Did you hear that Bill Nye was jeered in Waco Texas for saying that the the moon did not emit light but only reflected the suns light in contradiction to genesis in the bible. One women yelled out. "we believe God"!

darin
08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Did you hear that Bill Nye was jeered in Waco Texas for saying that the the moon did not emit light but only reflected the suns light in contradiction to genesis in the bible. One women yelled out. "we believe God"!

So what? Who Cares?

Begs the questions: Are you just making this up? Why would you think - or ANYONE think Mr. Nye's comments CONTRADICT the bible? Who is "One Woman?" And finally, what would her belief in God have to do with Mr. Nye?

I smell a troll.

typomaniac
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
So what? Who Cares?
If you're really a Chrisitian you should care. Any self-styled Christian who would deny proven scientific truth out of literal belief in the Bible is, quite simply, a heretic.

darin
08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
If you're really a Chrisitian you should care. Any self-styled Christian who would deny proven scientific truth out of literal belief in the Bible is, quite simply, a heretic.

If you're really an adult, you'd learn to f'ing READ. :)

NOBODY is denying science, silly boy

typomaniac
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
If you're really an adult, you'd learn to f'ing READ. :)

NOBODY is denying science, silly boy

Are you sure? Assuming the account is true, why would anyone jeer about an explanation of how the moon reflects sunlight?

darin
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Are you sure? Assuming the account is true, why would anyone jeer about an explanation of how the moon reflects sunlight?

First off - you're assuming it HAPPENED.

Secondly - NO RATIONAL Adult Christian feels the reflection of the sun off the moon contradicts scripture.

hjmick
08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
It is true, it happened over a year ago.

Which makes me wonder what relevance it has today except to perhaps provoke some Christian conservatives on a board that has a membership roster that which consists primarily of conservative Republicans, who in most cases call themselves Christians as well.

Now, as an Agnostic with one foot in the Atheist waters, I see no purpose in trying to demean people for their beliefs.

darin
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
It is true, it happened over a year ago.

Which makes me wonder what relevance it has today except to perhaps provoke some Christian conservatives on a board that has a membership roster that which consists primarily of conservative Republicans, who in most cases call themselves Christians as well.

Now, as an Agnostic with one foot in the Atheist waters, I see no purpose in trying to demean people for their beliefs.

:clap::clap:

typomaniac
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
First off - you're assuming it HAPPENED.Search Google News for Bill Nye.

Secondly - NO RATIONAL Adult Christian feels the reflection of the sun off the moon contradicts scripture.
Well, what about Genesis 1:16?
God made two great lights — the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
Now to play fundie's advocate, here: given that the moon is only a reflector, how can it be a light?

darin
08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, what about Genesis 1:16?
Now to play fundie's advocate, here: given that the moon is only a reflector, how can it be a light?

Look up in the sky at night. What is the brightest object you'll see? The Moon. The Moon LIGHTS the night-sky because it exists and reflects the sunlight back.

You are making NO point; you have no argument the scripture and science differ. You're playing a semantics game.

Hagbard Celine
08-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Bill Nye's show was cool. I remember coming home from school in the afternoons and watching it when I was a little kid.

typomaniac
08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Look up in the sky at night. What is the brightest object you'll see? The Moon. The Moon LIGHTS the night-sky because it exists and reflects the sunlight back.

You are making NO point; you have no argument the scripture and science differ. You're playing a semantics game.

So what made the Waco crowd so upset? :poke:

darin
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
So what made the Waco crowd so upset? :poke:

Maybe that woman wasn't very smart?

hjmick
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe that woman wasn't very smart?

Spot on.

darin
08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's when Waco ran the story - April of 2006

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/04/06/04062006wacbillnye.html

This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version

Abbey Marie
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh joy, another Christianphobic. :rolleyes:

Mr. P
08-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Bill Nye's show was cool. I remember coming home from school in the afternoons and watching it when I was a little kid.

Great show! I watched it with my daughter almost everyday, and "Wishbone" too. The Magic School Bus was good as well.

glockmail
08-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Bill Nye's show was cool. I remember coming home from school in the afternoons and watching it when I was a little kid. Holly shit you are a pup! I'd watch it with my kids. :laugh2:

glockmail
08-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Great show! I watched it with my daughter almost everyday, and "Wishbone" too. The Magic School Bus was good as well.
Don't forget "The Big Comfy Couch". That clown chick was hot! Right, Major Bed Head?

Mr. P
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Don't forget "The Big Comfy Couch". That clown chick was hot! Right, Major Bed Head?

Never even heard of that one.

glockmail
08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Never even heard of that one.

The Big Comfy Couch is about a little clown named Loonette and her doll Molly with their Big Comfy couch. The couch has everything known to man inside it - be it an umbrella, a hat, or a kitchen sink! Co-stars include Granny Garbanzo, Auntie Macassar (Seasons 1-5), and Major Bedhead, who pops in for visits. And unbeknownst to Loonette, two dustbunnies, Fuzzy and Wuzzy, live under Loonette's couch.

The Big Comfy Couch ran on YTV from 1993-1997. http://www.tv.com/the-big-comfy-couch/show/11266/summary.html

PostmodernProphet
08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Any self-styled Christian who would deny proven scientific truth out of literal belief in the Bible is, quite simply, a heretic.

this may surprise you, typo, but there are as many unbelievers who are silly twits as there are among believers

typomaniac
08-28-2007, 05:10 PM
this may surprise you, typo, but there are as many unbelievers who are silly twits as there are among believers

Doesn't surprise me at all. Religion isn't one of my enemies: ignorance and stupidity are.

Guernicaa
08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Smart guy.

We just use to make fun of him during the millions of times we were forced to watch him in middle school science classes.

Monkeybone
08-29-2007, 09:27 AM
i remember that Couch show....but it's not like i watched it or anything......

i do remember watching Bill Nye, wishbone and sometimes even magic school bus. those were come home from school shows. even one call Ghostwriter, where kids solved mysteries with this glob of light 'ghost'

dan
08-29-2007, 09:52 AM
I never watched much Bill Nye. Mr. Wizard was my science guy.

Monkeybone
08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
lol yah dan! go Captain Picard!