PDA

View Full Version : Woman accidentally executed?

jimnyc
12-01-2018, 03:13 PM
That's the story anyway. This person should still be charged with manslaughter, mistake or not.

Amazing, go in for a PET scan and get executed instead!

---

Woman, 75, died in agony after nurse accidentally gave her execution drug

A hospital is under investigation after 75-year-old woman died in agony when a nurse accidentally gave her a drug used to execute death row prisoners.

The victim, who has not been named, ‘would have fully experienced torturous, searing pain as her lungs shut down and she was unable to verbalize what was occurring being fully awake at the time,’ according to attorney Brian Manookian.

The woman went to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in December 2017 to receive a PET scan after experiencing prolonged headaches, vision loss, and other symptoms.

She was claustrophobic, so a nurse was going her two milligrams of Versed, an anti-anxiety drug.

But instead, the nurse gave the patient a deadly dose of Vecuronium, a drug that induces paralysis.

Rest - https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/30/woman-75-died-in-agony-after-nurse-accidentally-gave-her-execution-drug-8195365/

High_Plains_Drifter
12-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Yep... involuntary manslaughter.

I can't begin to imagine how someone could be THAT careless. I can't imagine those two drugs are kept NEAR each other.

Gunny
12-01-2018, 05:57 PM
So Vanderbilt University keeps its succinylcholine with its anti-anxiety meds? The succ is used in surgery when people are put under to paralyze the muscles. Another sedative puts you to sleep. An artificial respirator keeps you breathing. I watch Forensic Files :)

I can't imagine one being stored anywhere near the other. Then again, I thought nurses could read labels :rolleyes:

Elessar
12-02-2018, 01:17 PM
Something reeks of stupidity and carelessness.

Agree with the above, though. Storage or placement of potentially
lethal drugs should be carefully arranged.