PDA

View Full Version : Similarities...My Dad and GHWB

Elessar
12-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Had my Dad still been alive, he would have been the same age of GHWB.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, 07 Dec 1941, both immediately enlisted into the Navy.

Dad got banged up while serving on a plywood hulled minesweeper in the South Pacific,
wounds he carried all of his life: USS Dash AM88. He had a different career path, not
at all into politics, or the power and prestige that comes with it or wealth. His family owned a
butcher shop in Cicero, IL during the era of Al Capone...which was the turf of Capone in Chicago.

Why do I admire GHWB? Best of two CIC's I served under.

Two persons I consider to be real American Heroes.

Irony in GHWB's passing. Pearl Harbor Day is tomorrow, forgotten by so many.
GHWB was buried 06 Dec 2018, a day short of the anniversary of that event.:saluting2:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Had my Dad still been alive, he would have been the same age of GHWB.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, 07 Dec 1941, both immediately enlisted into the Navy.

Dad got banged up while serving on a plywood hulled minesweeper in the South Pacific,
wounds he carried all of his life: USS Dash AM88. He had a different career path, not
at all into politics, or the power and prestige that comes with it or wealth. His family owned a
butcher shop in Cicero, IL during the era of Al Capone...which was the turf of Capone in Chicago.

Why do I admire GHWB? Best of two CIC's I served under.

Two persons I consider to be real American Heroes.

Irony in GHWB's passing. Pearl Harbor Day is tomorrow, forgotten by so many.
GHWB was buried 06 Dec 2018, a day short of the anniversary of that event.:saluting2:

You my friend , have every right to be immensely proud of having such an honorable, brave and wonderful father!
Sad that in this day and age, far fewer such heroes exist in this nation, IMHO.
Yes we have some in this day and age, but not as many as existed back then, before the dem party destroyed education system and the honor of being a true patriot --as they have now done, IMHO .-Tyr

Elessar
12-07-2018, 11:28 AM
You my friend , have every right to be immensely proud of having such an honorable, brave and wonderful father!
Sad that in this day and age, far fewer such heroes exist in this nation, IMHO.
Yes we have some in this day and age, but not as many as existed back then, before the dem party destroyed education system and the honor of being a true patriot --as they have now done, IMHO .-Tyr

Thanks Robert.

To clarify one thing I saw as an error in my initial post.
I served under 6 CIC's. 3 I thought were outstanding, GHWB, Reagan, GWB.
Carter, Clinton, and Obama were weak, the last two especially.

Gunny
12-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Thanks Robert.

To clarify one thing I saw as an error in my initial post.
I served under 6 CIC's. 3 I thought were outstanding, GHWB, Reagan, GWB.
Carter, Clinton, and Obama were weak, the last two especially.I like Jimmy Carter but he was a horrible CinC. We were still using gear that probably first got issued to CSM, NamVet and AT.

I would have retired at 28 before serving under Obama. That was a non-happening event.

Elessar
12-07-2018, 06:35 PM
I like Jimmy Carter but he was a horrible CinC. We were still using gear that probably first got issued to CSM, NamVet and AT.

I would have retired at 28 before serving under Obama. That was a non-happening event.

Carter is a good man, but horrible as a CIC. Our budget cuts through his term were
horrendous.