PDA

View Full Version : Education

08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Is it about the teachers or the students?

darin
08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I vote students. When students are not listening, observing, etc, Teachers are not educating; just yaking about godknowswhat.

LiberalNation
08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Seems a lot about the teachers to me. Especially the higher ups in the school. Everything is so political in school.

diuretic
08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I voted students but that's because I think education should be about students, not that I think it actually is really about students. Cynical I suppose.

diuretic
08-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Seems a lot about the teachers to me. Especially the higher ups in the school. Everything is so political in school.

Get more than two people together in any organisation and politics (of the workplace type, not the DC type) will surface.

typomaniac
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
A better question might be: "What is education supposed to do for students?"

April15
09-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Education is a two way street. Students must be active with the educator as well as the educator being active with his/her charges. When parents are out of the loop the student tends to be non active in education.
You can drag a horse to water but you cannot make them drink.

truthmatters
09-01-2007, 05:05 PM
A divide and conquer mentality will only get you a devided and conquered country.

09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
A better question might be: "What is education supposed to do for students?"

that is an excellent question.

I think it should teach people how to read, write, and analyze how others think and how we think.

I dont think it should be indoctrinating liberal idealogy. Teach people how to be self sufficient.

09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
A divide and conquer mentality will only get you a devided and conquered country.

What that has to do with this thread is anyones guess, but more than likely it will provide you with a win.

CockySOB
09-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Education is about providing the opportunities to the students to learn, and hopefully stimulating their curiosity and critical thinking skills to make them life-long learners.

But as has been mentioned, students have an obligation to study hard, work at their lessons and TRY to succeed. It IS a two-way street.

That said, I do know some educators and administrators who are more into their own accomplishments rather than those of their students. IMHO those people should be dismissed from their positions. Sound like I'm not a fan of tenure? You're correct!

April15
09-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Education is about providing the opportunities to the students to learn, and hopefully stimulating their curiosity and critical thinking skills to make them life-long learners.

But as has been mentioned, students have an obligation to study hard, work at their lessons and TRY to succeed. It IS a two-way street.

That said, I do know some educators and administrators who are more into their own accomplishments rather than those of their students. IMHO those people should be dismissed from their positions. Sound like I'm not a fan of tenure? You're correct!I am glad I never met any of those educators who were more into their own accomplishments than into education.

LiberalNation
09-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Most aren't but some of the school admin I know seem that way. I have all good teachers this year so yeah for me. Only 1 required class. I could just go to night school an get my diplomia but they only work that stuff out for bad kids who would just not get it if they didn't.

April15
09-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Most aren't but some of the school admin I know seem that way. I have all good teachers this year so yeah for me. Only 1 required class. I could just go to night school an get my diplomia but they only work that stuff out for bad kids who would just not get it if they didn't.I graduated 40 some years ago from high school.

Kathianne
09-01-2007, 07:01 PM
At my school, it really is about the 'student' sometimes to the detriment of other students.

The principal has taken kids the public school would not allow in 'average' classroom, we haven't the support staff for these placements. No favor is done to the student, much less the class or teacher by accepting these placements. I'd imagine that for the student involved, the period is traumatizing, yet we keep doing this.

diuretic
09-01-2007, 08:46 PM
that is an excellent question.

I think it should teach people how to read, write, and analyze how others think and how we think.

I dont think it should be indoctrinating liberal idealogy. Teach people how to be self sufficient.

It shouldn't be about indoctrination towards any ideology. The whole idea of indoctrination is based on convergent thinking, that there's only one answer, while education is about divergent thinking, that there are many answers and the student should be helped to develop intellectual skills so that they are able to find the best answers for themselves.

Kathianne
09-01-2007, 08:48 PM
It shouldn't be about indoctrination towards any ideology. The whole idea of indoctrination is based on convergent thinking, that there's only one answer, while education is about divergent thinking, that there are many answers and the student should be helped to develop intellectual skills so that they are able to find the best answers for themselves.

Not convergent thinking, rather cogent.

diuretic
09-01-2007, 08:49 PM
At my school, it really is about the 'student' sometimes to the detriment of other students.

The principal has taken kids the public school would not allow in 'average' classroom, we haven't the support staff for these placements. No favor is done to the student, much less the class or teacher by accepting these placements. I'd imagine that for the student involved, the period is traumatizing, yet we keep doing this.

I take it you're referring to what might be politely called "under-achieving" students Kathianne?

On another slant, I remember reading an article once that bemoaned the lack of attention given to the "average" student, those in the middle of the bell curve. The really bright ones get attention, the ones that struggle get attention but the ones in the middle, they get overlooked. I don't know if that's the case, I haven't taught in a school setting, but it intuitively makes sense to me.

Kathianne
09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I take it you're referring to what might be politely called "under-achieving" students Kathianne?

On another slant, I remember reading an article once that bemoaned the lack of attention given to the "average" student, those in the middle of the bell curve. The really bright ones get attention, the ones that struggle get attention but the ones in the middle, they get overlooked. I don't know if that's the case, I haven't taught in a school setting, but it intuitively makes sense to me.

Nope, I'm addressing the problem of behavioral disordered or severe learning disabled students. The parochial schools choosing to enroll them, without support commits a disservice to the child and class.

typomaniac
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Well said, sir.
:clap::clap:

truthmatters
09-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Class size is one of the main reasons schools dont work as well as they could.

Kathianne
09-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Class size is one of the main reasons schools dont work as well as they could.

Only sometimes. Truth is without major behavior issues, average or above intelligence, and a good teacher, up to 30 is fine. In some ways superior to classes I've had of 11-15. Much less likely to have the nasties between kids, when there are enough to choose from. Kids with a friend are usually happy, in small classes there's nearly always one or two that are picked on.

diuretic
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Nope, I'm addressing the problem of behavioral disordered or severe learning disabled students. The parochial schools choosing to enroll them, without support commits a disservice to the child and class.

Ah yes, agreed.

actsnoblemartin
09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Teachers, cause the school board doesnt give a fluke about kids, just money for themselves

Is it about the teachers or the students?