PDA

View Full Version : First Ride of the Season

NightTrain
12-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Yesterday my son and I took the first ride of the season... pretty skimpy on snow, so we had to be careful not to hit rocks, logs, etc... but we had fun and didn't break anything.

We went up the side of Hatcher's Pass, fairly close to where we took Jim when he was up here and spotted the wolverine.

On the way up :

And up on top, overlooking Wasilla :

And a small herd of moose - this is kind of unusual, as they are solitary for the most part... but there were about 7 or 8 in this small group, a few cows with their youngster calves. The quality is bad because I zoomed in with my phone :

Elessar
12-22-2018, 11:33 AM
As usual, very nice pics!

High_Plains_Drifter
12-25-2018, 07:43 AM
NICE PICS, NT..!! Second shot is spectacular... legendary... worth framing.

Black Diamond
12-25-2018, 09:47 AM
I think that's Russia in the distance.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-25-2018, 06:25 PM
I think that's Russia in the distance.
It is... I can see Balu standing on top of the second peak to the left.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-25-2018, 11:25 PM
@NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89)... I hope you don't mind, Rick, but I borrowed that second pic. It is so spectacular, I just had to share it with my nephew, who loves his snowmobiles too, and older sister in Montana, and younger sister here. I told my little sister to show my Ma because her and Paw drove to Alaska back '97 with old friends of theirs. They each pulled a camper trailer there and back, some 15,000 miles round trip, but I know my Ma will love to see that pic.

I'm tellin' ya man, print that pic and frame it.

NightTrain
12-26-2018, 09:46 AM
@NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89)... I hope you don't mind, Rick, but I borrowed that second pic. It is so spectacular, I just had to share it with my nephew, who loves his snowmobiles too, and older sister in Montana, and younger sister here. I told my little sister to show my Ma because her and Paw drove to Alaska back '97 with old friends of theirs. They each pulled a camper trailer there and back, some 15,000 miles round trip, but I know my Ma will love to see that pic.

I'm tellin' ya man, print that pic and frame it.

You can share any of my pics on the board here, I don't mind. Your Mom will probably remember coming through the town of Palmer on the highway, 50 miles out of Anchorage.
The Alaska Highway runs along the base of the mountains in the distance; Palmer is on the left and Anchorage is out of frame to the right.

Straight up that valley in the middle, over the hood of the blue snowmachine, is Knik Glacier, and jimnyc 's favorite mountain other than Denali is on the right of that valley, Pioneer Peak.

jimnyc
12-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Straight up that valley in the middle, over the hood of the blue snowmachine, is Knik Glacier, and jimnyc 's favorite mountain other than Denali is on the right of that valley, Pioneer Peak.

I thought every time we made a turn, the view was post card worthy! The snow capped mountains, the scenery is unbeatable in Alaska. I only used my cell phone, and still didn't take enough. My Dad would be in photography heaven! He has a few cameras he uses and is all kinds of into it. He'd spend days on just scenery shots alone!! :)

** I gotta tell everyone what I learned though - if you see bottle water... and it says.... "Pure Alaskan Glacial Water" - don't buy it!! LOL **

Rick took me out to see that very pure glacial water, and it was about as clear as mud! :laugh: