PDA

View Full Version : Cut Off Congress’ Pay and You Could Have a Budget Deal Within 45 Minutes

jimnyc
01-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Yup, said it myself, and so true. Not sure how this ever happened anyway. If they are going to cut off EVERY worker throughout the nation that works within government, then they too should be the same. (If they force ANYTHING on the citizens of the USA, then they too should, it should be mandatory for them as well). Just tired of them having so many perks like this.

Cut 'em all off, both sides, and you WILL see compromise and change.

---

GOP Rep. Zeldin: Cut Off Congress’ Pay and You Could Have a Budget Deal Within 45 Minutes

In his Sunday appearance on New York AM 970 radio’s “The Cats Roundtable” with John Catsimatidis, Rep. Lee Zeldin’s (R-NY) commented on the ongoing partial government shutdown, saying if pay for Congress were to be cut off, there would be a budget deal for border wall funding in as soon as 45 minutes.

“It’s difficult to miss one paycheck. It becomes increasingly difficult to miss a second paycheck,” Zeldin told Catsimatidis. “I really do believe that you should lock every member of Congress in a room, bring the president in, no phones, no pay, you’re not leaving until there’s white smoke; you need to negotiate, compromise with each other, with the president. And I think you can have a deal within maybe it’s 45 minutes, maybe it’s four hours

“It’s crazy to me that you have members of Congress getting paid while … you have Coast Guardsmen who are not,” he added.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/01/20/gop-rep-zeldin-cut-off-congress-pay-and-you-could-have-a-budget-deal-within-45-minutes/

Noir
01-21-2019, 01:02 PM
I’ve grown more skeptical of this opinion since it was first mentioned, when it was pointed out to me how the salary’s of the people in Congress compare to their net worths, most of these people are independently weathly to the point that I don’t think this would break a deadlock regardless of opinion on if pay should be stopped or not.

aboutime
01-21-2019, 03:04 PM
https://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm#a1_sec6

[B]
VERIFY: Yes, Congress gets paid during the government shutdown
It's guaranteed under the Constitution.
Author: Eliana Block
Published: 1:23 PM EST December 31, 2018
Updated: 12:05 PM EST January 1, 2019

/B]