PDA

View Full Version : hot dogs

dan
08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Glock got me craving a dog. What're your favorites? How do you take them?

My all-time favorites are probably the all-beef ones my parents used to get from Lancaster, PA.

If I'm getting store-bought, I always go for Nathan's. I used to love Sabrett's, but last time I got a pack, there was some kind of.... goop all over the hot dogs that looked like someone in the factory had given them their own special "sauce". So, I can't really get that out of my head, I ate one of them, and it tasted okay, I guess, but I ended up just throwing the whole pack away. Boar's Head makes good hot dogs, too, but you practically have to mortgage your house to afford a pack.

I like mine with cheese, always with cheese. Almost always with ketchup, occassionally with mustard (I prefer spicy, but I'll settle for yellow), and very very occassionally with sauerkraut.

And, of course, they've got to be grilled. None of this boiled water crap for me.

hjmick
08-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Mmmm...Hot dogs.

Kosher, almost always kosher. Hebrew National. If I'm not going kosher, then it's Nathan's, but only with the natural casing, I love the "snap" and texture of the casing.

Grilled, weather permitting, or broiled. Sometimes boiled in beer.

Never with catsup/ketchup, that is blasphemy. Mustard, usually some variation of the spicy brown, I am particularly fond of the mustards coming from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, the stout and the porter mustards specifically. Chopped onions are a must, occasionally with cheese, but only cheddar, none of that oily American cheese. Chili is another favorite topping, when chili is a factor, onion and cheese is a must.

Most often in a bun, usually a potato bread bun, but wrapped in a tortilla is a damn good eat as well.

dan
08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
You can't get any hot dogs around here with natural casing, which sucks. Guess these daggum southern folks ain't got enough teeth to chew through it!:laugh2:

hjmick
08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
You can't get any hot dogs around here with natural casing, which sucks. Guess these daggum southern folks ain't got enough teeth to chew through it!:laugh2:

I have to search for them out here.

Hagbard Celine
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
You can't beat a good Chicago Dog. (drools)

dan
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Michael Vick could.

Thank you, thank you very much.:fu:

Abbey Marie
08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
When I ate meat, it was Sabrett's. My fave was the chili dog from a particular vendor.

No rainbow dogs! (boiled)

dan
08-29-2007, 02:24 PM
When I ate meat, it was Sabrett's. My fave was the chili dog from a particular vendor.

No rainbow dogs! (boiled)

I didn't know you were a vegetarian (vegan?). I really respect that, even though it's something I could never do.

Abbey Marie
08-29-2007, 02:29 PM
I didn't know you were a vegetarian (vegan?). I really respect that, even though it's something I could never do.

I was veg for many years, but added chicken & turkey back into the diet a few years ago so I could cut the carbs.

Joan
08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Nothing can compare to a good old Italian Hot dog - served on pizza bread, peppers, onions and potatoes!!

MtnBiker
08-29-2007, 02:37 PM

I really like Chicago Dogs!

http://www.bobbygs.com/images/Chicago-dog-new.jpg

dan
08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Nothing can compare to a good old Italian Hot dog - served on pizza bread, peppers, onions and potatoes!!

Gotta agree here. I haven't been to NJ in so long, there used to be a great place for those in Menlo Park, is it still there?

Abbey Marie
08-29-2007, 02:50 PM

That's how we used to eat suasage, sans the pizza bread. I've never heard of eating a hot dog that way.

Trigg
08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I really like Chicago Dogs!

http://www.bobbygs.com/images/Chicago-dog-new.jpg

eewwwwww, they messed up a perfectly good hotdog.

All a hotdog needs to be good is some good old sauerkraut, yum, yum

nevadamedic
08-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Caspers, they have the best Hot Dogs I have ever had. They are a chain out of the Bay Area. You can also buy their hotdogs at Safeway stores now too.

Monkeybone
08-29-2007, 03:04 PM
sauerkraut with mustard on mine. if not sauerkraut then onions and mustard.

there are always the Spanish dogs with cheese and onions from B&K also.

anyone used to eat them hotdogs chopped up in Mac & Cheese? mmmm good eating there. hahaha

dan
08-29-2007, 03:16 PM
anyone used to eat them hotdogs chopped up in Mac & Cheese? mmmm good eating there. hahaha

Ah, yes, nothing like saving up your Ramen funds for a week, then feasting on some dogs 'n cheese! Good stuff.

Monkeybone
08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Ah, yes, nothing like saving up your Ramen funds for a week, then feasting on some dogs 'n cheese! Good stuff.

i was also partial to putting ketchup on mine.

dan
08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
i was also partial to putting ketchup on mine.

You had me, then you lost me!

That's okay, I put parmesan cheese on my mac & cheese, so I don't have room to talk, I guess. Also, now that I'm actually making money, I've upgraded to Velveeta shells & cheese. I wish I knew how to cook homemade mac & cheese, it's one of my favorite foods.

Hagbard Celine
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Michael Vick could.

Thank you, thank you very much.:fu:

He'll be here all night folks. :clap:

hjmick
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM
You had me, then you lost me!

That's okay, I put parmesan cheese on my mac & cheese, so I don't have room to talk, I guess. Also, now that I'm actually making money, I've upgraded to Velveeta shells & cheese. I wish I knew how to cook homemade mac & cheese, it's one of my favorite foods.

Try these:

Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: For Whom the Cheese Melts 2

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Topping:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.

Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

Remember to save leftovers for fried Macaroni and Cheese.

or:

3-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe courtesy Costa Vanikiotis at Eveready Diner, Hyde Park, NY
See this recipe on air Friday Aug. 31 at 3:30 AM ET/PT.
Show: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives
Episode: Local Legends

1 tablespoon salt, plus more for pasta water
1 pound large elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound white Cheddar, shredded
4 ounces Romano, shredded
4 ounces Asiago, shredded
2 cups bread crumbs (suggested: panko (Japanese) available at most markets)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In large pot filled with water add 3 pinches of salt and the macaroni and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and let cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking until a roux or paste forms. Add cold milk and whisk vigorously until dissolved. Cook sauce on medium-low heat until thick and bubbly. Add heavy cream, all cheeses, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper. Cook until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally.

Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and mix thoroughly. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 by 9 baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Top with fresh parsley and serve.

For variations, add cooked lobster meat, truffle oil, bacon and/or garden fresh vegetables.

(This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.)

Food Network, man, great place to pull down recipes.

dan
08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Try these:

Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: For Whom the Cheese Melts 2

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Topping:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.

Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

Remember to save leftovers for fried Macaroni and Cheese.

or:

3-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Recipe courtesy Costa Vanikiotis at Eveready Diner, Hyde Park, NY
See this recipe on air Friday Aug. 31 at 3:30 AM ET/PT.
Show: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives
Episode: Local Legends

1 tablespoon salt, plus more for pasta water
1 pound large elbow macaroni
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound white Cheddar, shredded
4 ounces Romano, shredded
4 ounces Asiago, shredded
2 cups bread crumbs (suggested: panko (Japanese) available at most markets)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In large pot filled with water add 3 pinches of salt and the macaroni and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and let cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking until a roux or paste forms. Add cold milk and whisk vigorously until dissolved. Cook sauce on medium-low heat until thick and bubbly. Add heavy cream, all cheeses, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper. Cook until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally.

Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and mix thoroughly. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 by 9 baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Top with fresh parsley and serve.

For variations, add cooked lobster meat, truffle oil, bacon and/or garden fresh vegetables.

(This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.)

Food Network, man, great place to pull down recipes.

I trust anything that Alton Brown says, he's my favorite. I saw he's getting ready to do another Feasting on Asphalt. Have you seen the first one, it's outstanding.

dan
08-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Also, thanks for the recipe!

hjmick
08-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I trust anything that Alton Brown says, he's my favorite. I saw he's getting ready to do another Feasting on Asphalt. Have you seen the first one, it's outstanding.

The second one is airing now, I haven't missed an episode. The first was excellent, with the exception of Alton dumping his bike.

Guernicaa
08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I like Nathans...but I also like German hot dogs.

jackass
08-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I like Sabretts! Those rule.
From a chain...nothing beats the dogs at The Windmill! Damn those are good dogs. The "dirty water" dogs in the city are also very good. I usually eat mine with just mustard..put like to slice pickles and put them on it too. Also onions either raw and cubed or the onions and sauce. OOhhhh that sounds good!!

Joan
08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Sorry Dan, the one in Menlo is gone, but there is still a Jimmy Buff's in Kenilworth - they are worth the trip!

Mr. P
08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Ketchup, on a dog? :puke: You should be flogged, Dan!!!!!!!!!!

Same for you Chicago dog lovers! Want a salad get one! Want a good dog, get one, just not all in one bun. :(

dan
08-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Ketchup, on a dog? :puke: You should be flogged, Dan!!!!!!!!!!

What's up with that? Ketchup is a standard hot dog condiment, you guys are the freaks! At least I don't put ketchup on steak, now THAT's blasphemy.

Same for you Chicago dog lovers! Want a salad get one! Want a good dog, get one, just not all in one bun. :(

:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 08:56 AM
What's up with that? Ketchup is a standard hot dog condiment, you guys are the freaks! At least I don't put ketchup on steak, now THAT's blasphemy.

:laugh2:

I have to agree with Mr. P. Ketchup on a hot dog is, well, weird to me. Maybe it's a regional thing. Of course, when I wad a kid I used to put ketchup on fried eggs, so what do I know. Yuck.

dan
08-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Sometimes, I put ketchup on scrambled eggs.

To me, if I was in a Family Feud type situation, and someone asked me what the top three foods to put ketchup on are, I would say french fried, hot dogs, and hamburgers.

hjmick
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Ketchup/Catsup on french fries only, sometimes on hamburgers.

A1 sauce on eggs, scrambled or over medium.

Jon
08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
1/4 pound, all beef, cooked on a stick over the hot coals of a fire.

Take the cooked dog, put it in a bakery fresh hoagie roll, skewer the whole mess, and toast the bun over the fire with the dog inside.

Add condiments to suit.

Damn! Now I want a hotdog.

Pale Rider
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Well I grew up around Madison, Wisconsin, so for me, it's Oscar Mayer hot dogs. I can get them at Wal Mart for $1.85 a pack, and I'll buy half a dozen packs at a time. Yes, ketchup on a hot dog is the same as socks on your feet.

Here's one of my favorite ways to eat hot dogs, boil four dogs, place two slices of bread on a plate side by side, put hot dogs on bread, heat and pour "hot" flavor, no beans, Hormel chili over dogs, sprinkle with diced onions and shredded cheddar cheese.... damn... I think I'll make that right now. I just made myself hungry! :D

dan
08-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Well I grew up around Madison, Wisconsin, so for me, it's Oscar Mayer hot dogs. I can get them at Wal Mart for $1.85 a pack, and I'll buy half a dozen packs at a time. Yes, ketchup on a hot dog is the same as socks on your feet.

Thank you! What's wrong with these ketchup haters in here?

Pale Rider
08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Thank you! What's wrong with these ketchup haters in here?

Don't know... almost every promotional picture I've ever seen of a hot dog, it had ketchup and mustard on it.

Jon
08-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Here's one of my favorite ways to eat hot dogs, boil four dogs, place two slices of bread on a plate side by side, put hot dogs on bread, heat and pour "hot" flavor, no beans, Hormel chili over dogs, sprinkle with diced onions and shredded cheddar cheese.... damn... I think I'll make that right now. I just made myself hungry! :D

:thumb: I like 'em this way as well.