PDA

View Full Version : Senate Republicans Introduce Bill To Reopen Government As Shutdown Hits 32nd Day

jimnyc
01-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Of course, this will never pass, as anything produced will require a handful of democrat votes, and they don't seem to care about re-opening or not.

---

Senate Republicans Introduce Bill To Reopen Government As Shutdown Hits 32nd Day

Senate Republicans are releasing a bill to reopen the government. The legislation relates with the president’s proposal he unveiled in his address Saturday, which calls for $5.7 billion for a physical barrier at the southern border and funding for nine closed government agencies.

It also grants a three-year extension for DACA recipients and those under temporary protective status. A plan to ease the asylum process for Central American migrants is also included.

During his address, the president called on lawmakers to support this proposal, so the 32-day long shutdown can come to an end.

“I want this to end, and end now. These are not talking points, these are the heartbreaking realities that hurt American families every day on both sides of the border. As a candidate for president, I promised I would fix this crisis, and I intend to keep that promise one way or another.” — President Donald Trump

Senate Republicans said they plan to vote on the bill this week, however, no Democrats have voiced their support for the legislation.

Meanwhile, Democrat Senator Joe Manchin remains on the fence about the president proposal to end the shutdown despite his initial optimism about the deal. On Monday, a spokesperson for the West Virginia lawmaker said Manchin is waiting to see the final draft of the proposal before making a decision.

This comes after Manchin tweeted on Saturday, saying he was looking forward to working with both sides to make the immigration reforms proposed by President Trump happen. However, Democrat leadership has since slammed the plan as a non-starter.

https://www.oann.com/senate-republicans-introduce-bill-to-reopen-government-as-shutdown-hits-32nd-day/

jimnyc
01-22-2019, 12:59 PM
This is because they don't want to compromise, they refuse to allow Trump to "deal" and end up with a campaign promise. It's ALL political with them. :rolleyes:

---

Immigration attorney surprised Democrats are balking on Trump's DACA fix

Immigration attorney Linda Vega said she’s surprised by Democrats’ rejection of President Donald Trump’s immigration compromise and called the deal a “great offer,” on “Fox & Friends” Tuesday.

“Currently [DACA] applicants are not able to reapply for any benefits. They’re at a standstill,” Vega said. “If they’re in court proceedings they’re being deported. This plan, this three year offer by the president would offer them the opportunity to adjust their status to permanent residency or to continue studying in this country or to actually work and pay taxes. So it’s a great offer for a starting point.”

Vega said she was surprised the deal fell through because it would give Democrats the ability to create a permanent fix for DACA.

“I’m very surprised because if they’re asking for permanent solution this at least is a starting point to sit at the table and discuss making it a permanent solution,” she said. “And really, frankly that’s Congress’ job. It’s not the president’s job to offer a permanent solution. That’s why Congress members offer bills to make it a permanent law.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/22/trump-daca-democrats-balking/