PDA

View Full Version : Build wall without emergency funding?

jimnyc
01-25-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm not thrilled seeing folks not getting paid, that's my only negative really - but I am happy to see that Trump and team are taking their time and looking at all options possible before rushing into any solutions. They should definitely exhaust any options that avoid court and democrat admitted obstruction if possible.

---

Congress' nonpartisan research arm says Trump could build the wall without state of emergency or funding

The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) released a paper internally that suggests President Donald Trump may have the authority to use Department of Defense resources to build a wall without obtaining congressional approval or declaring a state of emergency.

CRS, Congress’s in-house research arm, internally published a paper Jan. 10 titled “Can the Department of Defense Build the Border Wall?,” which The Daily Caller News Foundation has obtained. It says (emphasis added):

Another statute that authorizes the Secretary of Defense to assist civilian law enforcement with counterdrug activities may provide some authority for the construction of barriers along the border. 10 U.S.C. § 284 (Section 284) provides that the Secretary of Defense “may provide support for the counterdrug activities or activities to counter transnational organized crime” of any law enforcement agency, including through the “[c]onstruction of roads and fences and installation of lighting to block drug smuggling corridors across international boundaries of the United States.” …

Use of Section 284 would not require a declaration of a national emergency under the NEA. However, the DOD’s Section 284 authority to construct fences appears to extend only to “drug smuggling corridors,” a condition that may limit where DOD could deploy fencing.

“Drug corridors” are not defined in law, according to a top congressional aide.

The president has suggested using executive authority as a workaround to the stalemate that led to the partial government shutdown. House Democrats have refused to allocate $5.7 billion Trump requested to build part of a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico, and the president has refused to support legislation opening the government that does not include border wall funding. Trump said Jan. 4 that he has considered using a “state of emergency” to build the wall. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley urged Trump not to declare a state of emergency and expressed concerns about overreach and setting a precedent Democrats could also use when in power.

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/24/trump-wall-no-state-of-emergency/

jimnyc
01-25-2019, 10:29 AM
IF IF Trump is ever successful in getting a wall of sorts done on the border - he can then walk out of the white house and "drop the mic" - as he will have then upheld so so many of his major promises on the campaign trail - and that is unheard of in politics.

They will hate him. They will make shit up. They will call him every name in the book. And yet he will have been successful.

Just like now, and some saying "look how he has ruined our country" - yeah, sure, if you're a whiny liberal and wake up daily looking to see him impeached. Otherwise, things are smooth sailing, and most especially in the economic side of things. Unemployment best in 49 years!!

pete311
01-25-2019, 10:41 AM
I don't understand why he doesn't get Mexico to pay for it.

jimnyc
01-25-2019, 10:44 AM

It's been stated and written a million times on how that would happen, but you prefer to chirp like a parrot for some reason in multiple threads.

I'd pay for it personally if I could. And I know almost all conservatives feel similarly. But the fact that it can be done and make the left pay "their fair share" of it as well, that's just icing on the cake. :laugh:

So if that's the route, thank you in advance for your dollars towards it!! And thanks to the largest of whiners that turn purple over the issue, as their tax dollars will help just as much. Good times, good times!

jimnyc
01-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Btw, your one liner as the first other person to reply in the thread is noted. You have to be the WORST "debater" and/or person to discuss things with. Have you EVER written more than a few sentences, if that, in reply to an article or discussion? Seriously, is this an intelligence issue? Maybe a lack of focus issue?