PDA

View Full Version : Professor Says Trump Has Won Immigration Fight

jimnyc
02-11-2019, 04:30 PM
I don't agree with all of this. I believe there is renewed and different talk about immigrants - and perhaps Americans are seeing beyond the FAKE news that Trump and company are all about "immigrants" - when it's been ILLEGAL immigrants from day one. And whatever is behind and leading these massive caravans, are only making the situation that much clearer.

But I don't think anyone wins to begin with. A win is when everyone compromises and we get much better border security than we have now, and folks can't, just can't walk or climb over and come here illegally, or bring in drugs in such a manner.

---

Professor Says Trump Has Won Immigration Fight

President Donald Trump already has won the standoff over immigration, even if he does not get funding for his border wall, because he has transformed how the American public views migrants, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee history Prof. Rachel Ida Buff wrote in The Washington Post on Monday.

As the Trump administration increasingly treats asylum-seekers as undocumented migrants, it disregards long-standing international conventions regulating how refugees and asylum seekers are treated and helps end a crucial linguistic distinction between refugees and migrants that has been the basis of the system.

Refugees are entitled to broad protections, ones the Trump administration does not want to give to asylum seekers arriving at the border.

Under American law, asylum-seekers who enter the country and claim a “credible fear” of persecution if returned to their nations of origin are entitled to a hearing. Those who cannot claim asylum are treated as undocumented migrants, often deported or turned back at the border.

But increasingly, the Trump administration has managed to treat all those arriving at borders as “illegal aliens,” with little recourse or access to rights, according to Buff.

This means that even though the president is unlikely to get the funding he wants from Congress for his border wall, he has made great progress in gutting the current refugee system.

Rest - https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/border-wall/2019/02/11/id/902133/

Abbey Marie
02-11-2019, 04:38 PM
It is my understanding that valid asylum seekers must fit two fact sets:
1. They must be fleeing actual political persecution, not​ just economic troubles.
2. They must seek asylum in the first bordering country that can offer some safety.

I have heard these people are overwhelmingly just seeking a better economic situation.
But even more definitively, the U. S. is not the next such country for any of these caravan migrants.

And done.

jimnyc
02-11-2019, 04:46 PM
It is my understanding that valid asylum seekers must fit two fact sets:
1. They must be fleeing actual political persecution, not​ just economic troubles.
2. They must seek asylum in the first bordering country that can offer some safety.

I have heard these people are overwhelmingly just seeking a better economic situation.
But even more definitively, the U. S. is not the next such country for any of these caravan migrants.

And done.

Yup, and 99% of these folks coming in these caravans don't qualify. That's why so many don't go straight to the appropriate centers and prefer to try and sneak in. They know exactly what the rules are and know they don't qualify, but are trying anyway. The left will "support" these efforts. And down the road, they will vote for the dumbasses, and maybe even illegals too!!