PDA

View Full Version : Colo. school bans tag on its playground

LiberalNation
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/ap_on_fe_st/odd_tag_banned;_ylt=AuX77alebCFOgJ7fvAg.296s0NUE

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.

Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

darin
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
We are raising an entire generation of pansies. Terrorists are probably LOVING this - in 30 years our population will be made-up of 75% pussies...It will be easy for them to turn his country into a theocracy. They'd simply set off a few firecrackers and the government would cave.

Hagbard Celine
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Do you really think terrorists have heard or would even care that one of our cities has banned tag? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. You're right about raising pansies though. What's next? They're going to ban the picking of teams so nobody is picked last?

dan
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Do you really think terrorists have heard or would even care that one of our cities has banned tag? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. You're right about raising pansies though. What's next? They're going to ban the picking of teams so nobody is picked last?

I sustained a debilitating injury playing tag in the fourth grade, so I really don't appreciate......

Just kidding. This is retahhhded. But, I don't think there are any terrorists laughing and rubbing their hands together evilly over this story, either.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
At this rate, there will be no real men left for my daughter to marry.

Bullying and tag are different issues, and should be handled as such. I have almost no faith left in the "wisdom" of educators.

darin
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM

Bullying and tag are different issues, and should be handled as such. I have almost no faith left in the "wisdom" of educators.

How old is she? I have a boy who's 5. :)

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 10:39 AM
We are raising an entire generation of pansies. Terrorists are probably LOVING this - in 30 years our population will be made-up of 75% pussies...It will be easy for them to turn his country into a theocracy. They'd simply set off a few firecrackers and the government would cave.

I know, damn whats next no kickball?

hjmick
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
The should be less worried about kids playing "tag" and more concerned with making sure that the kids can identify the U.S. on a map. Never again do I want to hear a Miss Teen U.S.A. contestant answer a question about maps.

You know, when you look at all the things they ban and change to protect kids these days, from making playground equipment plastic (In my day it was all metal, steel for all I know, with screws sticking out), to banning dodge ball (Remember the anticipation you felt when you just knew you were going to hit the girl or boy you really liked with that big red ball? Or the thrill that filled you at the thought of finally getting to hit that bully as hard as you could?), now the banning of tag (What? The last kid tagged before recess ends is going to go home and be bothered thinking he or she is still "it"?), the banning of Valentine's Day cards in school unless every child gets one from every other child because fuck knows everybody has to like everybody else, can't be any hurt feelings, I'm sure the list goes on, but when you consider all this, it's a God damn miracle any of us survived our childhood.

The last couple of generations of kids that have been raised in this country, with a some exceptions, have turned out to be a bunch of co-dependent, self-absorbed, spoiled, over indulged, whiney little wusses with a huge sense of entitlement and no real character. God forbid anyone of them should ever feel the sting of a leather belt across their precious asses.

FUCK!

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
The should be less worried about kids playing "tag" and more concerned with making sure that the kids can identify the U.S. on a map. Never again do I want to hear a Miss Teen U.S.A. contestant answer a question about maps.

You know, when you look at all the things they ban and change to protect kids these days, from making playground equipment plastic (In my day it was all metal, steel for all I know, with screws sticking out), to banning dodge ball (Remember the anticipation you felt when you just knew you were going to hit the girl or boy you really liked with that big red ball? Or the thrill that filled you at the thought of finally getting to hit that bully as hard as you could?), now the banning of tag (What? The last kid tagged before recess ends is going to go home and be bothered thinking he or she is still "it"?), the banning of Valentine's Day cards in school unless every child gets one from every other child because fuck knows everybody has to like everybody else, can't be any hurt feelings, I'm sure the list goes on, but when you consider all this, it's a God damn miracle any of us survived our childhood.

The last couple of generations of kids that have been raised in this country, with a some exceptions, have turned out to be a bunch of co-dependent, self-absorbed, spoiled, over indulged, whiney little wusses with a huge sense of entitlement and no real character. God forbid anyone of them should ever feel the sting of a leather belt across their precious asses.

FUCK!

You left out banning the Pledge of Allegiance. That was one thing I looked forward to every morning.

darin
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Ya know - part of the blame is the femanist movement. Stay with me here - For decades we've been raising little boys to act like little girls. "Don't use play guns!" "Don't compete!" "Don't fight!" We'd praise girls for their 'calm' and 'peace-making' and 'nurturing' aspects.
etc...anyone agree care to expand?

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
You know they should probably ban teatherball too as a kid can get hit in the face with the ball.

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 11:12 AM

Why punish everyone for a few punk kids being to agressive. Why not deal with the kids who are doing that? They obviously have some agression issues that need to be dealtwith and they should deal with it now before it gets to bad.

darin
08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Why punish everyone for a few punk kids being to agressive. Why not deal with the kids who are doing that? They obviously have some agression issues that need to be dealtwith and they should deal with it now before it gets to bad.

It's about the 'fairness' bullshit...It wouldn't be FAIR (waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!BOOHOO!! MPH!!!) to only allow SOME ppl to play...(snif).

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
It's about the 'fairness' bullshit...It wouldn't be FAIR (waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!BOOHOO!! MPH!!!) to only allow SOME ppl to play...(snif).

The hell it wouldn't. If some kid wanted to be a jackass then dont let him play, fuck all this fairness shit.

And people wonder why more and more kids are turning out gay.

Pale Rider
08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/ap_on_fe_st/odd_tag_banned;_ylt=AuX77alebCFOgJ7fvAg.296s0NUE

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.

Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

And HEEEEEERRRREE'S your LIBERALS at work. Enough said.

darin
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
fwiw, -Cp's kids went to a school which prohibited ALL running, IIRC.

Pale Rider
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
fwiw, -Cp's kids went to a school which prohibited ALL running, IIRC.

Telling KIDS they can't run... absolute insanity.

dan
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm honestly not even against bullying in school. It's a natural course of human interaction that some kids will be bullies and some will be bullied. Back in the day, before all this touchy-feely crap, you had no choice but to grow a thicker skin. Nowadays, everybody's a victim, and it makes kids weaker mentally, and that's why you have Columbine situations.

darin
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
You can thank, in part, trial lawyers. :-/

:(

Pale Rider
08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
You can thank, in part, trial lawyers. :-/

:(

The Breck boy.

hjmick
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Perhaps parents should just start wrapping the little shits in bubble wrap before sending them off to school.

As for the Pledge of Allegiance, I am of two schools of thought on that subject. First, I am opposed to children learning the Pledge by rote and reciting it in kind. If the meaning and significance of the Pledge are taught and understood by the children, that's fine. Otherwise it's not much more than a tool for indoctrination in my opinion. Teach it then say it. My second thought on the Pledge is somewhat controversial to some people, remove the reference to God. It's not needed, it's not part of the original Pledge, and it has served it's purpose. It was inserted in 1954 after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus making the Pledge both a patriotic oath and a public prayer. The truth is, we are not "one nation, under God," we are one nation under several Gods, and in many cases no God at all.

The original Pledge, as written by Francis Bellamy in 1892 read as follows:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Concise and to the point. I like it. In explaining some of the thoughts that went through his mind as he picked the words of his Pledge, Bellamy said:

"It began as an intensive communing with salient points of our national history, from the Declaration of Independence onwards; with the makings of the Constitution...with the meaning of the Civil War; with the aspiration of the people...

The true reason for allegiance to the Flag is the 'republic for which it stands.' ...And what does that vast thing, the Republic mean? It is the concise political word for the Nation - the One Nation which the Civil War was fought to prove. To make that One Nation idea clear, we must specify that it is indivisible, as Webster and Lincoln used to repeat in their great speeches. And its future?

Just here arose the temptation of the historic slogan of the French Revolution which meant so much to Jefferson and his friends, 'Liberty, equality, fraternity.' No, that would be too fanciful, too many thousands of years off in realization. But we as a nation do stand square on the doctrine of liberty and justice for all...

I have no objection to leaving the 1924 change, "to the Flag of the United States of America," though Bellamy was opposed to it, but I do believe that the reference to God should be removed so that the Pledge can be returned to the schools.

After looking at this post, I suppose I should have started another thread, LOL.

hjmick
08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm honestly not even against bullying in school. It's a natural course of human interaction that some kids will be bullies and some will be bullied. Back in the day, before all this touchy-feely crap, you had no choice but to grow a thicker skin. Nowadays, everybody's a victim, and it makes kids weaker mentally, and that's why you have Columbine situations.

It builds character.

remie
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Never fear Abby. I am raising two redblooded 100% all American boys. Let me know if you need one.

remie
08-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Those are pearls of wisdom. My young sons have been taught not to start fights but if one is started to be sure to finish it. They have also been taught that it is their responsibility to take care of those that are too weak to look out for themselves. That includes stepping in when a bully is pushing someone around. The interaction kids have are lifes lessons.

Trinity
08-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Ya know - part of the blame is the femanist movement. Stay with me here - For decades we've been raising little boys to act like little girls. "Don't use play guns!" "Don't compete!" "Don't fight!" We'd praise girls for their 'calm' and 'peace-making' and 'nurturing' aspects.
etc...anyone agree care to expand?

ok I'll go there........ I admit....... I'm guilty........ I tried to keep my boy's from ever owning or playing with toy guns. Until the day I looked outside and saw them playing army with stick guns I then threw up my hands and decided that boy's are going to be boy's and as long as they don't look like the real thing I suppose they can play with them. With rules of course!:coffee:

Trinity
08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Those are pearls of wisdom. My young sons have been taught not to start fights but if one is started to be sure to finish it. They have also been taught that it is their responsibility to take care of those that are too weak to look out for themselves. That includes stepping in when a bully is pushing someone around. The interaction kids have are lifes lessons.

I agree, that is what I have told my boy's, they are not allowed to start fights.

However I have also taught them the 3 strike rule just to cover their own asses so to speak.

Rule #1 if another child hits you, you need to tell the child to stop.

Rule #2 if the same child hits you again, tell the teacher or other adult in charge.

Rule #3 If after following rules 1 and 2 and no resolution and this child hits you again by all means whip his ass and I will handle it from there.

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 02:00 PM
ok I'll go there........ I admit....... I'm guilty........ I tried to keep my boy's from ever owning or playing with toy guns. Until the day I looked outside and saw them playing army with stick guns I then threw up my hands and decided that boy's are going to be boy's and as long as they don't look like the real thing I suppose they can play with them. With rules of course!:coffee:

I was thinking, you should put your young son in Martial Arts, it will show him how to control his anger..............

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I agree, that is what I have told my boy's, they are not allowed to start fights.

However I have also taught them the 3 strike rule just to cover their own asses so to speak.

Rule #1 if another child hits you, you need to tell the child to stop.

Rule #2 if the same child hits you again, tell the teacher or other adult in charge.

Rule #3 If after following rules 1 and 2 and no resolution and this child hits you again by all means whip his ass and I will handle it from there.

Once again try Martial Arts, they will learn how to avoid fighing and if it is unavoidable it will teach them how to put someone down without hurting them if punches are thrown.

If someone's swinging at you you dont just say excuse me for a moment while I go tell the teacher :slap: You defend yourself. :slap:

Pale Rider
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM

A parent raising "normal" kids, imagine that. Thank God there's still some around.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
How old is she? I have a boy who's 5. :)

She just turned 16. Cougar material!

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Never fear Abby. I am raising two redblooded 100% all American boys. Let me know if you need one.

Woo hoo! Now we just have to send them all to the same college. (If I had a mustache, I'd twirl it evilly right about now).

08-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Yeah. They'll eat us up if we dont do something to change things.

08-30-2007, 03:15 PM

how old is your daughter? I am sure I could father some good sons in a reasonable amount of time for her:D

08-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Well sorry i dont think i can work that fast:)

darin
08-30-2007, 03:26 PM

Cougar? As in Washington State Univ.? :)

-Cp has a boy who just turned 16. :D

:D

Why doncha come-visit?

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Cougar? As in Washington State Univ.? :)

-Cp has a boy who just turned 16. :D

:D

Why doncha come-visit?

Cougar as in the slang term for women who prefer much younger men.

A visit sounds nice. Pick a college and we can call it a college tour. So, is -Cp's son a fine young man? My sweetie is top 5% of her class, straight A's last year, taking AP Calculus in her Junior year. (She does not get her math smarts from mom). And very pretty, if I'm allowed to say so. Long silky brown hair, big blue eyes, etc. I'll leave it at that in case we have any pervs on the board.

And she definitely does NOT want to be a lawyer. I guess I didn't model that too well, lol. :laugh2:

Sorry; obnoxious brag session over.

darin
08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Cougar as in the slang term for women who prefer much younger men.

A visit sounds nice. Pick a college and we can call it a college tour. So, is -Cp's son a fine young man? My sweetie is top 5% of her class, straight A's last year, taking AP Calculus in her Junior year. (She does not get her math smarts from mom). And very pretty, if I'm allowed to say so. Long silky brown hair, big blue eyes, etc. I'll leave it at that in case we have any pervs on the board.

And she definitely does NOT want to be a lawyer. I guess I didn't model that too well, lol. :laugh2:

Sorry; obnoxious brag session over.

-Cp's Son is an upright and solid Christian young-man. As solid as they come - except for his hair. :( :-/ He NEEDS a high-n-tight w/ half-off the top. -Cp's kid got straight A's, IIRC; but he's NOT a nerd. More Skater/Rock type guy. Very nice blue eyes and brown hair, too. :)

So - -Cp, get Abbey the details and you two arrange a visit! :)

remie
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM

Our guys have been taught to respect guns from the time they were three. If you handed either of them a gun today the first thing they would do is check to see if it were loaded and point it away from any person. They both love to go hunting with me even though they are too young to shoot. Yes we do put trigger locks on all of our guns but that is more for any kids that come over to play. We also keep the ammunition in a separate place. There is nothing wrong with letting boys learn about guns so long as they are taught to respect them.

LiberalNation
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Well I'd offer myself as a potential date but then considering your stances she prolly doesn't swing thataway.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
-Cp's Son is an upright and solid Christian young-man. As solid as they come - except for his hair. :( :-/ He NEEDS a high-n-tight w/ half-off the top. -Cp's kid got straight A's, IIRC; but he's NOT a nerd. More Skater/Rock type guy. Very nice blue eyes and brown hair, too. :)

So - -Cp, get Abbey the details and you two arrange a visit! :)

Actually, they sound very well -matched. Thinking...

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Well I'd offer myself as a potential date but then considering your stances she prolly doesn't swing thataway.

:laugh2: Not as far as I can tell, but how can you really be sure.

LiberalNation
08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Well you wont be, most don't tell their parents if they happen to be the big christian conservative types.

Trigg
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Our guys have been taught to respect guns from the time they were three. If you handed either of them a gun today the first thing they would do is check to see if it were loaded and point it away from any person. They both love to go hunting with me even though they are too young to shoot. Yes we do put trigger locks on all of our guns but that is more for any kids that come over to play. We also keep the ammunition in a separate place. There is nothing wrong with letting boys learn about guns so long as they are taught to respect them.

my husband and I feel this is the way to go also. I tell my sons to always treat a gun like it is loaded.

With all the locks on our guns if an intruder did break in it would be quicker to just hit him over the head with the gun case.

Trigg
08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
As far as the actual thread topic.

Our school has no tag either and I'm not sure they play dodgeball.

LiberalNation
08-30-2007, 08:29 PM
None of the guns in my house are locked, besides being in the gun cabinent, no trigger locks I mean, but then we don't have any young kids around the house. Both me an my brother have been around and shot guns. Not really my thing, but my brother loves hunting and is a pretty good shot.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Well you wont be, most don't tell their parents if they happen to be the big christian conservative types.

That's about what I figured. But I'll bet there are signs.

manu1959
08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
what if it was a bunch of gay boys playing tag the weenie?

or

gay girls playing slap the clam.....

what then....

Trigg
08-31-2007, 04:09 PM

or

what then....

:slap: and don't be acting like you didn't deserve that either.

nevadamedic
08-31-2007, 04:15 PM

or

what then....

Women on Women is hott...........:salute:

Trinity
08-31-2007, 04:45 PM

But what about men on men?

Yurt
08-31-2007, 05:42 PM

or

what then....

I would open a book on the biology :dunno:

08-31-2007, 06:46 PM

no... it really isnt...

Abbey Marie
08-31-2007, 09:04 PM

Blech. :puke:

LiberalNation
08-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I think it hot, yeah man on man and woman on man does nothing for me. Neither does a lot of the crap porn on the net, with the huge brested woman. Looks so fake and nasty, don't know why people find that hot.