PDA

View Full Version : Bad dreams/Nightmares

Abbey Marie
02-25-2019, 11:06 AM
I don’t have nightmares, in the traditional “scary things are after me” sense.
What I do have, and frequently, are dreams of not being able to get home, or of rejection.

I’m usually in some city, often New York (where I used to work), and I need to take the train home, but I have no money or cards to buy a ticket or token, no phone, no ID. So I’m left wandering the streets in an almost-panic as dusk approaches. And for some reason, I almost never ask anyone for help.

Rejection dreams come in all forms. Friends, lovers, employers, people at the grocery store; you name it, they are awful to me.

I used to have recurring dreams where I’m in a public restroom with numerous bathroom stalls, and every time I open a door to use one, the toilet is full of the most foul stuff you can imagine.
And it’s not that IRL I have to go, either. For some reason, those dreams are thankfully no more.

I’m sure a therapist could have some fun with all this!

Do you have recurring bad dreams or outright nightmares? Care to share?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-25-2019, 11:43 AM
I don’t have nightmares, in the traditional “scary things are after me” sense.
What I do have, and frequently, are dreams of not being able to get home, or of rejection.

I’m usually in some city, often New York (where I used to work), and I need to take the train home, but I have no money or cards to buy a ticket or token, no phone, no ID. So I’m left wandering the streets in an almost-panic as dusk approaches. And for some reason, I almost never ask anyone for help.

Rejection dreams come in all forms. Friends, lovers, employers, people at the grocery store; you name it, they are awful to me.

I used to have recurring dreams where I’m in a public restroom with numerous bathroom stalls, and every time I open a door to use one, the toilet is full of the most foul stuff you can imagine.
And it’s not that IRL I have to go, either. For some reason, those dreams are thankfully no more.

I’m sure a therapist could have some fun with all this!

Do do you have recurring bad dreams or outright nightmares? Care to share?

Yes, I do quite often. However, since I so love dark poetry, I turn mine into fodder to compose poems based upon what I can remember of each dream.
I have been doing this for about 40 years now and it in a way makes having such so often-- a gift..
No stinking toilets tho'.... just some really vicious monsters/beasts, demons/ and demonic man hating women in mine... -Tyr

Abbey Marie
02-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Yes, I do quite often. However, since I so love dark poetry, I turn mine into fodder to compose poems based upon what I can remember of each dream.
I have been doing this for about 40 years now and it in a way makes having such so often-- a gift..
No stinking toilets tho'.... just some really vicious monsters/beasts, demons/ and demonic man hating women in mine... -Tyr

Now that’s turning lemons into lemonade!

:coffee:

The Sage of Main Street
02-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Yes, I do quite often. However, since I so love dark poetry, I turn mine into fodder .
.... just some really vicious monsters/beasts, demons/ and demonic man hating women in mine... -Tyr

You've been spending too much time watching CNN and its paraded pandemonium of freaks and shrieks.

aboutime
02-25-2019, 09:08 PM
After all my years in the navy. I retired in 1995. I still have dreams about being late for duty on the ship, not having the right uniform. Being in a shipyard, and I can't find my ship, and usually, before my dreams wake me up. I am always looking for a bathroom...Which...is why I wake up!

Glad I don't dream about politics. My Rubber Room would never be empty!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

High_Plains_Drifter
02-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Seems that just lately I've been having some really wild dreams, while taking a nap. My right hip has been bothering and there's even some pain down that leg, especially when I'm trying to sleep in my bed. My mattress is probably ten years old and I do think it's time for a new one, so I don't sleep that well and I'm tired so I take a nap, on the couch. Well I guess I fall into a deep sleep rather fast and have some doozies for dreams. I've had two recently, but I can only vaguely remember the second one. Something about someone looking for me and I wanted to avoid them, and I was in some big building trying to get away from them and wound up outside and more or less came to a dead end because there was huge fences and no where to go, then I woke up. I can probably relate that to when people call or text me and I just don't feel like answering, so I don't, I'm avoiding them, but every once and awhile someone will pop over unannounced, and I don't like it.

I'll remember this thread though, and if I have another one I'll put it in here.

Abbey Marie
02-26-2019, 12:40 AM
After all my years in the navy. I retired in 1995. I still have dreams about being late for duty on the ship, not having the right uniform. Being in a shipyard, and I can't find my ship, and usually, before my dreams wake me up. I am always looking for a bathroom...Which...is why I wake up!

Glad I don't dream about politics. My Rubber Room would never be empty!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

It’s a similar idea, so you know how it feels. You reminded me of all the dreams I’ve had about showing up for college or law school finals, only to discover I somehow never went to class all semester and just figured that out, lol. Or I’m in college and I can’t find a schedule of my classes anywhere. So frustrating.

Noir
02-26-2019, 02:47 AM
I wouldn't dream much at all, never mind recurring dreams, but I do know someone who consistently has their dreams end with them being guillotined, which just seems miserable.

Elessar
02-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Most of my dreams are just strange encounters, nothing horrible

Strange how the mind that we are not fully aware of will work!

Be Well, Abbey

CSM
02-26-2019, 07:42 AM
I seem to re-live a few past episodes from my past (Vietnam in particular). Not fun. I am told I get rather feisty when having those dreams.

The Sage of Main Street
02-26-2019, 12:02 PM
I seem to re-live a few past episodes from my past (Vietnam in particular). Not fun. I am told I get rather feisty when having those dreams.
I've never dreamed about Vietnam. It was so intense an experience that it got buried too deep to retrieve in a dream state, which is superficial fluff floating at the outer edges of the subconscious.

I did have a few dreams while I was there in which I knew I was dreaming but could not wake up until I was afraid I'd be stuck in that coma state forever and forced myself into consciousness.

Elessar
02-26-2019, 02:51 PM

Dad had nightmares about both WWII and 'Nam

Abbey Marie
02-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Dad had nightmares about both WWII and 'Nam

I’d imagine that’s all too common. :(

On a lighter note,
My Dad was in Italy in WWII. My Mom told us that one night a couple of decades later, he was talking in his sleep.
All she could make out was him laughing and saying, “The Polish Army, hahaha!”.

Abbey Marie
02-26-2019, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't dream much at all, never mind recurring dreams, but I do know someone who consistently has their dreams end with them being guillotined, which just seems miserable.

Good lord!

High_Plains_Drifter
03-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Hmmm... that's interesting, since I've heard that sometimes the body can react to strong subconscious thoughts, as in if you get hurt in your dreams, you're injured for real.

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/82516-dreams-causing-real-injuries/