PDA

View Full Version : Exactly what I said would happen

jimnyc
03-06-2019, 01:12 PM
I stated outright, the businesses are in business to make money. The employee can't take a seat and make demands, doesn't work that way. Further your education, get a degree, get a better job. But the crap going around the nation over the past decade of DEMANDS of a new $15 minimum wage...

So here is how it works, which is what I said would happen.

And if this were a business I owned, I would do the same.

---

Amazon raises minimum wage for Whole Foods workers, then hours get cut

Amazon recently began a $15 minimum wage for its employees at Whole Foods, but then the grocery store began cutting workers’ hours, according to the Guardian.

The multinational e-commerce company enacted the increased wage in November for all U.S. workers, in response to public pressure and criticism over its pay for employees.

The same wage increase that the supermarket chain employees fought for, however, has lead to widespread cuts across stores, Whole Foods employees told The Guardian.

“My hours went from 30 to 20 a week,” said one Illinois-based worker. “We just have to work faster to meet the same goals in less time.”

Once the wage increase was established, the worker said that part-time “employee hours at their store were cut from an average of 30 to 21 hours a week” and that full-time employees were “reduced from 37.5 hours to 34.5 hours.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/06/whole-foods-raises-wage-cuts-hours/

Noir
03-06-2019, 03:03 PM
What was their wage rate before it was changed to $15?

High_Plains_Drifter
03-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Irrelevant.

jimnyc
03-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Based on a state level and of course will be different all over. Likely anywhere from from like the low $7.00 up to the $15. And jobs like McDonalds, sometimes the lower wages make more sense. But if employees make demands of how to run things, depending on where, then of course the business will make whatever changes necessary to to enhance their business and make the most profit.

Noir
03-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Based on a state level and of course will be different all over. Likely anywhere from from like the low $7.00 up to the $15. And jobs like McDonalds, sometimes the lower wages make more sense. But if employees make demands of how to run things, depending on where, then of course the business will make whatever changes necessary to to enhance their business and make the most profit.

Well I think that’s pretty relevant information. If your hours are being cut from 30 to 20, but your pay is going from $10 to $15 an hour, then your monthly pay is the same but your time at work has been dropped by 33%

Without knowledge of the difference in wage per hour then there is no point to reference if this is positive or not.

STTAB
03-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Irrelevant.

not irrelevant at all.

I mean if they were making $14.50 an hour and working 30 hours a week and when the min went to $15 hours were cut to 21 thats clearly just an employer being an asshole.

On the other hand if hours were cut simply because the business decision is if you make more you should produce more per hour requiring less hours " then that is just good business.

Being conservative doesnt mean you have to ignore realities, thats what the left does.

jimnyc
03-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Well I think that’s pretty relevant information. If your hours are being cut from 30 to 20, but your pay is going from $10 to $15 an hour, then your monthly pay is the same but your time at work has been dropped by 33%

Without knowledge of the difference in wage per hour then there is no point to reference if this is positive or not.

Yup, they get the same pay at the end of the month, working less hours, and getting the same amount of work done.

Most "assumed" they would still get the same amount of hours, a typical work week, when all was said and done. Ain't happening.

Noir
03-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Yup, they get the same pay at the end of the month, working less hours, and getting the same amount of work done.

Most "assumed" they would still get the same amount of hours, a typical work week, when all was said and done. Ain't happening.

//Hey Jim I’ve got some good news and some bad news

The good news is we’re doubling how much you get paid per hour of work.
The bad news is we’re cutting your working hours in half.

If you really want we can try and go back to the old system by doubling your hours and halfing your hourly pay, let us know.//

jimnyc
03-06-2019, 05:00 PM
//Hey Jim I’ve got some good news and some bad news

The good news is we’re doubling how much you get paid per hour of work.
The bad news is we’re cutting your working hours in half.

If you really want we can try and go back to the old system by doubling your hours and halfing your hourly pay, let us know.//

Tell your little theory to those getting the same take home pay after years of complaining, and many getting half the hours, and no longer qualifying for insurance and other things, saving the company money.

In case you haven't noticed, folks want MONEY. And I can assure you, these folks aren't going out for 2nd jobs.... they are just left where they were before, and less in many cases. Because they made demands.

The folks that have long been complaining at some McD's and other places where it's occurred already... thinking they needed more money to survive and DEMANDED their bosses pay them more. They gave in and did, then did the same here in reducing hours and insurance and stuff, and now they are more pissed than they were before!

hjmick
03-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Thus proving the age old adage... Be careful what you wish for.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-06-2019, 06:53 PM
not irrelevant at all.

I mean if they were making $14.50 an hour...
Were they?

Amazon is a total leftist outfit. Why would they buck the leftist agenda? Why didn't they go ahead and open that office in NY?

They wouldn't be closet CAPITALISTS now would they?

STTAB
03-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Were they?

Amazon is a total leftist outfit. Why would they buck the leftist agenda? Why didn't they go ahead and open that office in NY?

They wouldn't closet CAPITALISTS now would they?

Your response has little to nothing to do with my post you quoted.

Noir
03-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Tell your little theory to those getting the same take home pay after years of complaining, and many getting half the hours, and no longer qualifying for insurance and other things, saving the company money.

In case you haven't noticed, folks want MONEY. And I can assure you, these folks aren't going out for 2nd jobs.... they are just left where they were before, and less in many cases. Because they made demands.

The folks that have long been complaining at some McD's and other places where it's occurred already... thinking they needed more money to survive and DEMANDED their bosses pay them more. They gave in and did, then did the same here in reducing hours and insurance and stuff, and now they are more pissed than they were before!

But if you’re going to end up with the same take home pay, then it’s better to get that pay for less time worked, yes?

Also the OP says full-time employees were “reduced from 37.5 hours to 34.5 hours.” A loss of 3 hours a week, so unless the pay per hour was already very close to $15 then they will be earning more.

jimnyc
03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
But if you’re going to end up with the same take home pay, then it’s better to get that pay for less time worked, yes?

Also the OP says full-time employees were “reduced from 37.5 hours to 34.5 hours.” A loss of 3 hours a week, so unless the pay per hour was already very close to $15 then they will be earning more.

Sure, shitcan some, lower the hours variably with others, cancel tons of insurance plans... and for the company, the bottom dollar is the same at the end. Some will benefit better than others. Some will lose insurance and all will have to work twice as hard and as fast. But the point being - in the end - the employer isn't going to eat a loss, they will make up the loss in other ways.

Noir
03-07-2019, 11:52 AM
Sure, shitcan some, lower the hours variably with others, cancel tons of insurance plans... and for the company, the bottom dollar is the same at the end. Some will benefit better than others. Some will lose insurance and all will have to work twice as hard and as fast. But the point being - in the end - the employer isn't going to eat a loss, they will make up the loss in other ways.

Certianly not Amazon, I hear they’re really struggling for money.

jimnyc
03-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Certianly not Amazon, I hear they’re really struggling for money.

Point is, when someone is hired - they need to remember that the bosses work upward - answering to their bosses, who answer to shareholders. Employees at minimum wage DO NOT get to dictate things. When they do, they unfortunately find out that they lose hours or insurance or other benefits. And if Amazon needs more money, they sure ain't gonna get it by giving into the demands of employees, as opposed to sitting with management and figuring out how to maximize.

STTAB
03-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Point is, when someone is hired - they need to remember that the bosses work upward - answering to their bosses, who answer to shareholders. Employees at minimum wage DO NOT get to dictate things. When they do, they unfortunately find out that they lose hours or insurance or other benefits. And if Amazon needs more money, they sure ain't gonna get it by giving into the demands of employees, as opposed to sitting with management and figuring out how to maximize.

All very true, of course. But fundaentally, I see no difference in the government telling a company "yes we know it would be more profitable for YOU to just throw your trash into the street rather than dispose of it properly, but we live in a society that doesn't want trash in the streets" and the government telling a company "yes we know it would be more profitable for YOU to pay a low minimum wage to your employers, but we live in a society where we don't want companies paying so little that their employers qualify for welfare" and then we can have a discussion about what that pay should be. The current national minimum is a joke, there is nowhere in this country where $7.25 should be the minimum wage.

Same thing can and will be said about $15 an hour. That's entirely too high for minimum wage work.

jimnyc
03-07-2019, 01:50 PM
From today - an example here in NY of what Democrats have done, and what it does in reality.

---

New York Democrats are putting fast food employees out of work

“You better pay attention,” teachers used to tell lazy students. “Or you’ll end up flipping burgers.”

However, if Democrats continue to wage their war against fast food workers, even burger-flipping jobs might even become unobtainable for the average New Yorker.

Things started going downhill for restaurant workers in July 2015 when the New York Fast Food Wage Board recommended the nice-sounding but completely ridiculous $15 per hour minimum wage for restaurants with at least 30 locations. This was supposed to take effect by December 2018, and what could go wrong? For those who don’t know anything about owning a restaurant (most politicians), it seems like a win-win scenario. Employees make more money and the fast food behemoths strike a blow for equality.

Not so fast.

When I got married, my wife and I opened a coffee house together, which grew into a small café. Though our California establishment definitely didn’t have 30 locations nationwide (and therefore wouldn’t have been forced to raise the minimum wage), it taught me about the difficulties of running a profitable restaurant.

If I had several workers and was forced to pay them a higher amount, I know what I would’ve done: I would’ve hired fewer workers, reduced the number of hours my servers worked, and might even let some go. This would not be reflective of my desire for economic equality, but just of basic math. It’s hard enough to make the numbers add up for profit in that industry without the government mandating salaries.

In fact, it was so challenging I ended up working as chef for an arduous time of life. Though I was proud of the chicken pesto sandwiches, soups, salads, baguettes and brie we served, we barely scraped by. We definitely couldn’t have made it if Big Brother mandated we pay the servers more.

Now that we’re three months past the Fast Food Wage Board’s implementation deadline, we know this is exactly how the restaurant owners in New York responded. According to the New York City Hospitality Alliance’s survey, “The Rising Labor Cost,” the city has experienced the biggest drop in restaurant jobs in almost two decades.

The study revealed “76.50 percent of full service restaurant respondents reduced employee hours, and 36.30 percent eliminated jobs in 2018.” And it’s not going to get any better: “75 percent of limited service restaurant respondents report that they will reduce employee hours, and 53.10 percent will eliminate jobs in 2019 as a result of mandated wage increases that took effect on December 31, 2018.” Also, annual employment growth dropped from 6.67 percent to less than 1 percent even since the “tip wage” (the minimum amount of salary for servers who receive tips) has doubled.

Economist Mark Perry described New York as experiencing a “restaurant recession” due to the politicians meddling into the minimum salary resulting in 3,000 fewer serving jobs.

As a former café owner, I know owners either had to increase their prices (which means they would’ve sold less food) or cut back on their staff. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that these entrepreneurs cut back on staff to stay competitive. This doesn’t take a genius to understand. Of course, not many of those go in politics, especially on the left. And clearly, not many folks who have ever run a small business go into politics either.

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/07/meckler-fast-food-unemployment/

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2019, 04:45 PM
Your response has little to nothing to do with my post you quoted.
So now there's a percentage standard for on topic responses?

I asked you a question about part of your post then made my own point.

I think that's what we do here.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Just about EVERYTHING the government gets involved in, they FUCK IT UP.