PDA

View Full Version : CNN Rips President Trump for Hugging, ‘Groping’ American Flag at CPAC

jimnyc
03-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Kidding me? They will IGNORE things like MURDER and ABORTION and other disgusting acts that don't help their agenda along or support the left.

But now they will complain when Trump shows his love and patriotism by gently hugging the American flag? Eat shit, CNN!!

---

CNN Rips President Trump for Hugging, ‘Groping’ American Flag at CPAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG5TZuvOm4g

Apparently, when President Trump took time to hug the American flag on the CPAC stage on Saturday, he triggered people on the left and sent them into a tailspin. And in a report during Tuesday’s edition of Erin Burnett OutFront, CNN reporter Jeanne Moos dedicate time to hype negative responses on Twitter and by late night comedians, while lampooning the President for his display of affection for the flag.

After coming back from a commercial break towards the end of the program, Burnett quipped about how “Trump gets his snuggle on with old glory” before handing it off to Moos.

“Ever since the flag hugger-in-chief did this the other day. (…) The President holding and murmuring sweet nothings to the stars and stripes has led to strife,” Moos declared as she began her report. Of course, she wasted little time in jumping to comparisons of groping and sexual misconduct:

“If that flag could tweet,” did it “say #MeToo”? The one man’s grope is another’s patriotic caress of Old Glory, which the White House glorified by tweeting a photo captioned “America!” And Donald Trump Jr. Instagramed, “oh hell yes”.

Moos pointed to Late Show host Stephen Colbert, who suggested: “I believe that's the first time a flag has ever volunteered to be burned.” She also found humor in Colbert and Jimmy Kimmel using the hug to make perverted and unfunny faux infomercials:

Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2019/03/05/cnn-rips-president-trump-hugging-groping-american-flag-cpac

hjmick
03-06-2019, 05:40 PM
It does make for a kind of creepy picture...

Sorry.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Sorry.

Not if one actually knows history, loves this nation and its freedoms and knows exactly what that flag stands for?
Truly what it represents and the millions that have --died- defending that flag-this nation and its citizens.
Nothing creepy about it , IMHO.
No more so than one hugging ones own mother, IMHO.-Tyr

Abbey Marie
03-06-2019, 06:44 PM
This just in: CNN finds Trump “Breathing inappropriately”. Left triggered.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Sorry.
I'd have done it, and I thought it was a great gesture.

I think your comment is creepy.

Sorry.

pete311
03-06-2019, 06:53 PM
This just in: CNN finds Trump “Breathing inappropriately”. Left triggered.

Lets just pray Trump doesn't wear a tan suit. Oh the horror, right...?

hjmick
03-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Damn, I guess I should have just toed the line...

High_Plains_Drifter
03-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Why? Pete doesn't.

Or maybe explain why hugging the flag is "creepy." I don't get it.

NightTrain
03-06-2019, 07:14 PM
I think it's a great pic. Too many disrespect our flag, and indeed, go to great lengths to defile it.

I've never seen a President actually hug the flag. Not even Reagan, Teddy or Washington.

Perhaps if we had, we'd see less disrespect to it from our liberal comrades.

Elessar
03-06-2019, 08:01 PM
I think it's a great pic. Too many disrespect our flag, and indeed, go to great lengths to defile it.

I've never seen a President actually hug the flag. Not even Reagan, Teddy or Washington.

Perhaps if we had, we'd see less disrespect to it from our liberal comrades.

In different circumstances, I hugged the flag numerous times.
Preparing morning colors, carrying the cocked-hat folded flag close to the chest.
Keeping a properly furled one close to me.

Presenting the flag to my Mom at Dad's Funeral.

We are not supposed to carry one like it is a grocery bag.

Gunny
03-06-2019, 08:18 PM

Perhaps if we had, we'd see less disrespect to it from our liberal comrades.You haven't seen them do it because it isn't exactly SOP for handling the National ensign. You're really not supposed to be doing that.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-06-2019, 08:29 PM
You haven't seen them do it because it isn't exactly SOP for handling the National ensign. You're really not supposed to be doing that.
Democrats think it's an act of courage to BURN an American flag. That appears to be what they like to see... big difference... wouldn't you agree? How many times have you heard a democrat call our flag just a piece of cloth, or even a rag?

All Trump was doing was showing his respect for the flag and showing he loves America. I don't think there's any question of either.

Gunny
03-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Democrats think it's an act of courage to BURN an American flag. That appears to be what they like to see... big difference... wouldn't you agree? How many times have you heard a democrat call our flag just a piece of cloth, or even a rag?

All Trump was doing was showing his respect for the flag and showing he loves America. I don't think there's any question of either.Assuming you are correct, a PDA with the National colors? Only the color guard is supposed to touch the Colors and they wear gloves.

I've never been big on PDAs anyway. Not even in the 70s :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
03-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Assuming you are correct, a PDA with the National colors? Only the color guard is supposed to touch the Colors and they wear gloves.

I've never been big on PDAs anyway. Not even in the 70s :laugh:
Well ya, but how many civilians know military protocol when it comes to the flag?

I think most people thought it was a nice gesture. Sure beats some leftist pissing or shitting on it or burning it, and that's what they see.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-06-2019, 10:42 PM

I have truly no clue what, "the line" is...
I do however know my life has been fantastically blessed by my being born in this nation with its freedoms, great opportunities and rule of law.
All of those great blessings defended by those that have served, honored, bled for, sacrificed and died for that flag and our way of life.
If that is the line of which you referenced , then ok I am in with it... and in with no apologies ever to be given.. --Tyr

Abbey Marie
03-06-2019, 10:46 PM

I see what you did there, K. But just maybe, we really do just think it’s ok to show affection that way for our country.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2019, 02:23 AM
I see what you did there, K. But just maybe, we really do just think it’s ok to show affection that way for our country.
Yeah... evidently I'm the board bull dog that keeps everyone "in line." Here I thought I was just expressing my opinion, however vehement at times.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-07-2019, 05:49 AM
Yeah... evidently I'm the board bull dog that keeps everyone "in line." Here I thought I was just expressing my opinion, however vehement at times.

I too simply expressed how I feel about our flag, this nation and our freedoms that are truly blessings..
Of course the dem party/leftists/liberals so dearly hate that any of us think and feel that way.
They can all go ESAD, as far as I am concerned.. -Tyr

hjmick
03-07-2019, 06:26 AM
The line to which I refer is the "Trump can do no wrong" line.

And let's not pretend that, for the majority of members here, dissenting views on the Commander in Chief are welcome around here these days...

Kathianne
03-07-2019, 07:11 AM

And let's not pretend that, for the majority of members here, dissenting views on the Commander in Chief are welcome around here these days...

I've been enjoying the beautiful weather and hoping for some day trips in a few weeks. How's the weather by you?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-07-2019, 07:15 AM

Not me. I raised holy hell about how Trump handled the Syria fiasco. And how he should have started investigations into the many treasonous acts by some of the Dem party leadership.
Also how he should have had the defying mayors of sanctuary cities arrested by U.S. Marshals, which he did not do.
I walk no line saying he is perfect-- as no man is...
The only one that ever was , they crucified my friend.. -Tyr

Drummond
03-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Well ya, but how many civilians know military protocol when it comes to the flag?

I think most people thought it was a nice gesture. Sure beats some leftist pissing or shitting on it or burning it, and that's what they see.

Unashamed, proud patriotism. I see displays of this as evidence of superior spirit ... to say nothing of being inspiring to witness.

It's a strength that America has, at least for now, in abundance. Trump, I feel, is merely 'guilty' of doing what came naturally to him .. commendable evidence of his worth as your President.

Here in the UK ... to so much as proudly display the Union flag, much less wave it (I've never heard of anybody hugging it !) ... is seen in some quarters as a 'racist' act, because doing so is associated with the old BNP days (British National Party) and their usage of it. [Their Party was characterised in our media as having a racist agenda.]

Mark my words. If your Dems fully had their way, they'd open up the southern border fully, let Mexicans stream into the US, and this'd be swiftly followed by a 'Stars & Stripes displays are racist' movement, inspired by the Left.

So, enjoy your patriotism ... I envy it all !!! :salute:

Abbey Marie
03-07-2019, 10:21 AM

It’s a debate board, isn’t it? Are you being stopped from voicing your opinions?
If a majority like someone or something, would you expect them to be silent about it? Or should we lie, and say all the attacks on our President are ok?
You make it sound like there is a gang here plotting to squash speech. If there is, I’ve not been invited to the meetings.

STTAB
03-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Not if one actually knows history, loves this nation and its freedoms and knows exactly what that flag stands for?
Truly what it represents and the millions that have --died- defending that flag-this nation and its citizens.
Nothing creepy about it , IMHO.
No more so than one hugging ones own mother, IMHO.-Tyr

nonsense, it is a creepy image.

Not as creepy as creepy Joe groping little girls though.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-07-2019, 11:15 AM
nonsense, it is a creepy image.

Not as creepy as creepy Joe groping little girls though.

And that is an opinion that you are free to have my friend.
As is the one we that think it is ok...
Even if he did it just to piss off the dem /libs it is ok in my book.-Tyr

jimnyc
03-07-2019, 11:47 AM
A flag then also results in trolling and off topic and other BS?

It's supposed to be a debate board. Sometimes many folks agree on topics, and then comes times where they disagree. Disagreeing doesn't mean folks are trying to get rid of others. If that were a goal, it would be much much much easier accomplished in other ways as opposed to disagreeing on subjects. But if folks don't want to discuss topics, then so be it, just let's not ruin it for others.

STTAB
03-07-2019, 12:26 PM
And that is an opinion that you are free to have my friend.
As is the one we that think it is ok...
Even if he did it just to piss off the dem /libs it is ok in my book.-Tyr

I'd have a real problem if he only loved this country to piss someone off.

And Id rather he piss of dems by doing material things that matter to this country. Lord knows they hate it when anyone actually tries to solve issues.

Abbey Marie
03-07-2019, 02:42 PM
I'd have a real problem if he only loved this country to piss someone off.

And Id rather he piss of dems by doing material things that matter to this country. Lord knows they hate it when anyone actually tries to solve issues.

Well, he said he’s ok if Trump only hugged the flag to piss them off. He didn’t say he’s ok if he “only loved his country” to piss them off. Two different animals.

jimnyc
03-07-2019, 02:47 PM
I truly believe Trump is a huge patriot and lover of America. I think he is also trying to show folks how much he loves America. If you like him mostly already, you're going to like and appreciate the gesture. If you're not a fan of his, not surprising that some don't care for the gesture.

Abbey Marie
03-07-2019, 02:51 PM
I truly believe Trump is a huge patriot and lover of America. I think he is also trying to show folks how much he loves America. If you like him mostly already, you're going to like and appreciate the gesture. If you're not a fan of his, not surprising that some don't care for the gesture.

Or, if patriotism bothers you for some reason. :dunno:
Not that that fits most people here.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Not me. I raised holy hell about how Trump handled the Syria fiasco. And how he should have started investigations into the many treasonous acts by some of the Dem party leadership.
Also how he should have had the defying mayors of sanctuary cities arrested by U.S. Marshals, which he did not do.
I walk no line saying he is perfect-- as no man is...
The only one that ever was , they crucified my friend.. -Tyr
Same here. There's been several times already when I've trashed him pretty good and said I didn't know if I could support him going forward. One time was when he signed that first huge omnibus spending bill.

But I'd like to know, just what in the holy HELL is CREEPY about a gesture that denoted love for ones country and flag. I honest to God DON'T GET IT. Can someone please explain to me what is CREEPY about our president giving OUR nations flag a little show of affection? I've hugged my Harley Davidson a time or two, is THAT CREEPY? People do this to inanimate objects because it's something they LIKE, or LOVE. It's NOT uncommon. I would think our nations flag would be something DESERVING of someone showing they love it.

Because I'd do the same thing. I find NOTHING wrong with it, so I guess I'M CREEPY TOO, but I'll be damned if I know why that's CREEPY.

One of you THAT'S CREEPY people please explain it...

Abbey Marie
03-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Same here. There's been several times already when I've trashed him pretty good and said I didn't know if I could support him going forward. One time was when he signed that first huge omnibus spending bill.

But I'd like to know, just what in the holy HELL is CREEPY about a gesture that denoted love for ones country and flag. I honest to God DON'T GET IT. Can someone please explain to me what is CREEPY about our president giving OUR nations flag a little show of affection? I've hugged my Harley Davidson a time or two, is THAT CREEPY? People do these to inanimate objects because it's something they LIKE, or LOVE. It's NOT uncommon. I would think our nations flag would be something DESERVING of someone showing they love it.

Because I'd do the same thing. I find NOTHING wrong with it, so I guess I'M CREEPY TOO, but I'll be damned if I know why that's CREEPY.

One of you THAT'S CREEPY people please explain it...

I know you’re not asking moi, but it’s so obvious I can’t resist:

It’s creepy because Trump did it.

No deep thoughts or other true reflections about it.

STTAB
03-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Well, he said he’s ok if Trump only hugged the flag to piss them off. He didn’t say he’s ok if he “only loved his country” to piss them off. Two different animals.

True, one would be far worse than the other, but I just don't believe our politicians should be doing ANYTHING just to piss "the other side" off, I'm sick of that behavior and frankly it was one of the things I had hoped Trump would be different about, and I think for the most part he is different . He almost always just does what comes natural to him, he only rares makes the cold calculated political move that is only designed to make people mad as so many other politicians do on a regular basis.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2019, 04:14 PM
I know you’re not asking moi, but it’s so obvious I can’t resist:

It’s creepy because Trump did it.

No deep thoughts or other true reflections about it.
Nailed it - - - ^^^

Abbey Marie
03-07-2019, 05:04 PM
I consider this creepy:

hjmick
03-07-2019, 07:00 PM
I've been enjoying the beautiful weather and hoping for some day trips in a few weeks. How's the weather by you?

Just getting through a cold snap, warming up for the weekend, going to enjoy the next couple of months before the humidity sets in... Sometimes I miss the arid deserts of California and New Mexico...

To the topic, or at least my initial comment...

I don't think it's creepy because it's Trump, it just strikes me as an odd way to express his love of country or his patriotism... and the... leering doesn't help. I would find any photo of anyone striking the same pose creepy. In almost 55 years, I've never seen anything like it from a politician. Or anyone else for that matter. Except perhaps after a graveside presentation.

When it comes to our flag, I was raised to express my love of country, my patriotism, by saluting the flag or by placing my hand over my heart. Embracing it like a lost lover was not a consideration, it lacks respect. What he did, in my opinion, comes off as political kabuki. Some of you think it was him expressing love of country or his patriotism, fine. More than anything else, I think he playing the audience. Playing to the audience.

I've never made secret my distaste for the man, that goes back long before he decided to run for office, but that distaste has not influenced my opinion in this case. Believe it or not. I would say the same of any President or politician or celebrity who did the same thing. No kidding.

hjmick
03-07-2019, 07:03 PM
I consider this creepy:

I consider it disrespectful. But it also their right. I do not agree with it, but just like others who would use the First Amendment to express ideas with which I do not agree, I would defend their right to do it. And that's not easy...

Abbey Marie
03-07-2019, 08:10 PM
I consider it disrespectful. But it also their right. I do not agree with it, but just like others who would use the First Amendment to express ideas with which I do not agree, I would defend their right to do it. And that's not easy...

Separate topic.

hjmick
03-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Separate topic.

Huh... You told us you consider it creepy... I said I consider it disrespectful, with some additional information... Is it the additional information you consider a different topic?

Abbey Marie
03-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Huh... You told us you consider it creepy... I said I consider it disrespectful, with some additional information... Is it the additional information you consider a different topic?

Yes.

I’m not a stickler that a thread has to stay arrow straight on one issue, but I wanted to clarify that your 1st Amendment point was tangential at best. No one in this thread is disputing the right to do such things, like it or not.

And I think the burning flag is about as creepy as it gets, plain and simple, without getting into any free speech debates. The fact that people are seemingly getting more exercised over a flag hug, than a flag burning, boggles my mind. That, I suppose, was my point.

If you want to discuss the Constitutional angle separately, that’s cool.

STTAB
03-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Yes.

I’m not a stickler that a thread has to stay arrow straight on one issue, but I wanted to clarify that your 1st Amendment point was tangential at best. No one in this thread is disputing the right to do such things, like it or not.

And I think the burning flag is about as creepy as it gets, plain and simple, without getting into any free speech debates. The fact that people are seemingly getting more exercised over a flag hug, than a flag burning, boggles my mind. That, I suppose, was my point.

If you want to discuss the Constitutional angle separately, that’s cool.

I don't think burning the flag is creepy I think it is intentionally disrespectful and that it is quite hilarious that the very side that goes on and on about the dangers of "hate speech " defend such hate speech,but of course once again we are reminded that the left always accuses others of doing exactly what they do, including hate speech designed to induce anger, I mean as if anyone actually believes that burning a flag is a legitimate protest against anything. It isnt, and that never was the purpose of doing it

Drummond
03-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Surely, burning the American flag means something rather more than burning a piece of cloth ? Don't those responsible show a hatred of what that flag represents ? Otherwise ... why bother ?

I daresay that Americans are 'entitled' to have a view about whether they like or hate their country. But to make a public display of that hatred is surely a publicly inciteful act ?

To what extent is that permissible ?

How far can a person go, to act out of that hatred ?

Today, flag burning. Next month, next year .... what ? How far is TOO far ?

I suggest that actions should have consequences.

Abbey Marie
03-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Surely, burning the American flag means something rather more than burning a piece of cloth ? Don't those responsible show a hatred of what that flag represents ? Otherwise ... why bother ?

I daresay that Americans are 'entitled' to have a view about whether they like or hate their country. But to make a public display of that hatred is surely a publicly inciteful act ?

To what extent is that permissible ?

How far can a person go, to act out of that hatred ?

Today, flag burning. Next month, next year .... what ? How far is TOO far ?

I suggest that actions should have consequences.

Can you imagine if these guys saw that?

Or these Guys?

icansayit
03-09-2019, 05:58 PM
But...there's little doubt. CNN would NEVER be as upset over this.....
https://i1.wp.com/iranians.global/videos/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Iranian-lawmakers-burn-American-flag-after-US-leaves-deal.jpg?resize=1280%2C720&ssl=1