PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing right now besides looking at DP?

Abbey Marie
03-11-2019, 11:43 AM
I’m eating Ramen (yum) and doing laundry.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Jammin' some WOMEN OF THE BLUES on Spotify and finishing a good workout on the gym, then hittin' the shower.

STTAB
03-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Doing a few chores around the farm. In and out of the house.

Elessar
03-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Bills, laundry, chores.

Making ready to head to the Post Office.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Doing a few chores around the farm. In and out of the house.
I grew up on a farm, favorite time of my childhood. Best part about Wisconsin is all the farms. I still love them. I'd buy one if I ever won the lottery... :rolleyes:

STTAB
03-11-2019, 02:46 PM
I grew up on a farm, favorite time of my childhood. Best part about Wisconsin is all the farms. I still love them. I'd buy one if I ever won the lottery... :rolleyes:

I inherited 300 acres from my grandfather and just a few months ago bought my neighbors 500 acres. My house is exactly right in the middle of my 300 acres my parents own 100 acres on one side of me , and my aunt lives in my grandparents old home clear on the other side of my original 300 acres.

The in laws will be getting a new home on the 500 acres as soon as we can get construction going , though they don't know it yet. They live in the town closest to us and hate it, they have wanted to be out in the country for awhile now, and its time to make that happen.

Elessar
03-11-2019, 03:14 PM
I inherited 300 acres from my grandfather and just a few months ago bought my neighbors 500 acres. My house is exactly right in the middle of my 300 acres my parents own 100 acres on one side of me , and my aunt lives in my grandparents old home clear on the other side of my original 300 acres.

The in laws will be getting a new home on the 500 acres as soon as we can get construction going , though they don't know it yet. They live in the town closest to us and hate it, they have wanted to be out in the country for awhile now, and its time to make that happen.

That is why I like living in a remote area, away from big cities.
I had a belly-full of them being in NYC for 3 years and LA-Long Beach for 14 years.

Sure, we do not have the stores seen in larger areas, but country folk have the
ability to adapt!

STTAB
03-11-2019, 03:28 PM
I had a belly-full of them being in NYC for 3 years and LA-Long Beach for 14 years.

ability to adapt!

Branson MO is 30 minutes from me, Springfield an hour and a half (less If I'm driving) so when we need to go to "the city" we can, but when we dont , were out by ourselves . I have a 5 mile long drive from the end of my driveway to the nearest paved road, and thats the way I like it.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Outstanding. We had a 280 acre farm. Raised beef cattle and pigs, some chickens for eggs, near Cottage Grove, WI. We finally sold it because my paw was a Master Pressman working at the newspaper and it was killing him working two jobs, even though us kids worked too. I was 13 when we moved off the farm and it was the saddest day of my life.

I have a couple friends that still have family farms. One good friend, the electrician that owns his own business, his older brother still owns two of their farms, one is 480 acres just a few miles up on the ridge from me. We shoot guns and hunt and whatnot up there, no one lives there now, the old house fell down, but I can go up there without having to ask and shoot or whatever, hunt mushrooms, get firewood for campfires from fallen down trees. It's great.

I envy you though, sounds like you have a super nice place, and I hope you can keep it. Small family farms are going broke here in Wisconsin because of the low price of milk. The big conglomerate farms are putting them out of business. Now a lot of them just grow corn for ethanol to stay afloat, or some other cash crop like soybeans or something.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM

ability to adapt!
I hear that! I lived in Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno, Tampa... got a belly full of cities myself. The population of the little burg I live in now is 1,300. Just about right. I live on a dead end road but still have high speed cable. Got my own well, septic, an acre and a quarter, a good stop kinda on the outskirts but not totally out of town, it's in the township and not the village though so I don't have them up my rear about little crap either.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Branson MO is 30 minutes from me, Springfield an hour and a half (less If I'm driving) so when we need to go to "the city" we can, but when we dont , were out by ourselves . I have a 5 mile long drive from the end of my driveway to the nearest paved road, and thats the way I like it.
Very pretty area... that's awesome.

My Ma and Pa used to go down to Branson all the time. Hook up their camper trailer and be gone. They loved it down there. The "VEGAS OF THE MIDWEST."

Elessar
03-11-2019, 04:24 PM
I hear that! I lived in Phoenix, Las Vegas, Reno, Tampa... got a belly full of cities myself. The population of the little burg I live in now is 1,300. Just about right. I live on a dead end road but still have high speed cable. Got my own well, septic, an acre and a quarter, a good stop kinda on the outskirts but not totally out of town, it's in the township and not the village though so I don't have them up my rear about little crap either.

There are about 1700 full time citizens here, which does swell to around 3000 in the summer for fishing on the river,
or just recreating in the lovely area.

The closest 'large' town is Brookings, 27 miles South, or Coos-Bay/North Bend 97 miles North.
Otherwise it is at least a 3 hour Drive to Grant's Pass on the I-5 corridor East of here.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 04:29 PM
There are about 1700 full time citizens here, which does swell to around 3000 in the summer for fishing on the river,
or just recreating in the lovely area.

The closest 'large' town is Brookings, 27 miles South, or Coos-Bay/North Bend 97 miles North.
Otherwise it is at least a 3 hour Drive to Grant's Pass on the I-5 corridor East of here.
Best part about here is, my relatives have been in this area since 1844. The locals, who can be standoffish, know I'm not a transplant. My family has history here, and that means something around these little towns. That's part of what would make it so hard to move away.

Elessar
03-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Best part about here is, my relatives have been in this area since 1844. The locals, who can be standoffish, know I'm not a transplant. My family has history here, and that means something around these little towns. That's part of what would make it so hard to move away.

The folks around here are largely very mellow and welcoming, unlike where I grew up
in West Virginia. The town gentry looked down on us because my Dad was from Chicago
and generally treated the family like 2nd class citizens. My own second cousin would not
even recognize the blood bond.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 04:53 PM
The folks around here are largely very mellow and welcoming, unlike where I grew up
in West Virginia. The town gentry looked down on us because my Dad was from Chicago
and generally treated the family like 2nd class citizens. My own second cousin would not
even recognize the blood bond.
Ya know, I'd have to say the folks around here are pretty laid back too for the most part. But there's a pretty good gossip mill here as there is in any small town, but if you've got lineage here you're largely immune because everyone already knows you and your relatives. It's the newcomers that get picked apart, so I know what you mean. But this little town right on the Wisconsin River is a tourist destination and we host the world air boat fest among other things, canoe races, and we do get a LOT of tourists, and the town welcomes them. We have campgrounds and it's good for business. Just come and visit, spend your money and then LEAVE... :laugh:

Elessar
03-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Ya know, I'd have to say the folks around here are pretty laid back too for the most part. But there's a pretty good gossip mill here as there is in any small town, but if you've got lineage here you're largely immune because everyone already knows you and your relatives. It's the newcomers that get picked apart, so I know what you mean. But this little town right on the Wisconsin River is a tourist destination and we host the world air boat fest among other things, canoe races, and we do get a LOT of tourists, and the town welcomes them. We have campgrounds and it's good for business. Just come and visit, spend your money and then LEAVE... :laugh:

Mom's family had settled there in the 1940's after having a farm outside of town.
Grandpap was one of the most respected citizens of that town, and a man to be reckoned with.
He was a stevedore on the river docks in Pittsburgh PA, then went to becoming a master electrician.

The fact Mom married a WWII Vet from Chicago rankled some of the snooty town gentry.

Abbey Marie
03-11-2019, 05:39 PM

That sounds heavenly.
What state? Lots of trees?

High_Plains_Drifter
03-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Mom's family had settled there in the 1940's after having a farm outside of town.
Grandpap was one of the most respected citizens of that town, and a man to be reckoned with.
He was a stevedore on the river docks in Pittsburgh PA, then went to becoming a master electrician.

The fact Mom married a WWII Vet from Chicago rankled some of the snooty town gentry.
My grandpaw on my mother's side was the mayor of the little town just east of here. After he retired from running the town creamery, made cheese, he drove school bus for awhile and some of my friends even rode his buss, and they loved him. He was very well respected and known as someone you did not screw with. I'd venture to say that I'm much like my father and that grandfather, kind of a hard ass but fair. Cut through the BS and get to the heart of a matter and don't waist my time with all your emotional garbage. Can't say a whole lot for my Dad's dad though, he was a dick head, farmer, was mean to his animals and his family and drank too much. I might have inherited a little of his mean streak, but it's served me well actually. I learned that it's better to stand and fight than to be bullied and back down.

Kathianne
03-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Starting a new quarter, the last. Printing out some work for the kids to start things off right. Suddenly the 8th graders are concerned about their grades. LOL!

SassyLady
03-12-2019, 03:09 AM
Tracking down my ancestry. So far, tracked my maiden name to 900's. I'm 99% Irish/Scottish with a little bit of French.

This is a fascinating journey. Found out that both my grandmothers were named Flossie (which is not something I remembered from childhood). And, apparently, on my dad's side, suicide runs in the family. Had an aunt and two male cousins kill themselves. Or, at least, was ruled suicide. Two by gunshot and one by hanging. Also, a couple of knights and a bishop in the lineage in the 1100s.

Right now trying to track down what happened to my dad's mom in 1930s. Can't find her anywhere after 1930 Census. I think she ran off after her mother-in-law moved in with them in 1936.

Strange when my DNA showed no Native American because we always thought we had Cherokee blood. Found out that we just owned some Cherokee land. One of my ancestors won a section of land in the Cherokee Land Lottery.

the state of Georgia confiscated the Cherokee lands, surveyed them into 40 acre lots and distributed to white settlers through a lottery system

Really fascinating.

STTAB
03-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Outstanding. We had a 280 acre farm. Raised beef cattle and pigs, some chickens for eggs, near Cottage Grove, WI. We finally sold it because my paw was a Master Pressman working at the newspaper and it was killing him working two jobs, even though us kids worked too. I was 13 when we moved off the farm and it was the saddest day of my life.

I have a couple friends that still have family farms. One good friend, the electrician that owns his own business, his older brother still owns two of their farms, one is 480 acres just a few miles up on the ridge from me. We shoot guns and hunt and whatnot up there, no one lives there now, the old house fell down, but I can go up there without having to ask and shoot or whatever, hunt mushrooms, get firewood for campfires from fallen down trees. It's great.

I envy you though, sounds like you have a super nice place, and I hope you can keep it. Small family farms are going broke here in Wisconsin because of the low price of milk. The big conglomerate farms are putting them out of business. Now a lot of them just grow corn for ethanol to stay afloat, or some other cash crop like soybeans or something.

I'm very fortunate in that I don't rely on my farm to earn a living. We have cattle, but that's more of a hobby and a tax write off than anything else, most years I'm lucky if we break even on them , and then we have horses, my wife and sister adopt neglected horses and allegedly bring them back to health and rehome them. I say allegedly b/c it's pretty damn rare when a horse ever actually goes somewhere else to live after moving here lol

STTAB
03-12-2019, 08:38 AM
That sounds heavenly.
What state? Lots of trees?

Arkansas , most of my land is cleared but I have Id say probably 40 acres total of land that is heavily wooded.

LongTermGuy
03-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Looking at some pic`s....(Day off)..

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/aa38310e00c7884670de92f6d11b6283.jpg
Frank Zappa in his Los Angeles home with his dad Francis, his mom Rosemarie, and his cat in 1970.

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/6f1e80b5dc0b16962f7f47408b2047b3.jpg
Another day at work for these lumberjacks in Oregon. (1918)

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/d1c5dfb15bce706bf2ac4a0fa85fa0a9.jpg
Carrie Fisher with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd on the set of "The Blues Brothers" movie, 1980.

The Blues Brothers truly was a family affair. Fischer, who’d only been in Shampooand a little movie called Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope at the time of filming, was dating Dan Akroyd while working on the film and she told Vanity Fair that as excessive as people think the set was, it was ten times as crazy.
While on set the crew constructed a “Blues Bar” where the cast and crew would hang out after shooting. They would drink, play music, and do a bunch of drugs. Fischer said (https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/01/making-of-blues-brothers-budget-for-cocaine):

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/b0ad1a87432f1c3bcb423fbfa2cfd164.jpg

Ella Hattan, better known by 'La Jaguarina,' is regarded as one of the greatest swordswomen of the 19th century. "She had, for years, defeated just about every male opponent she could find, usually with broadswords on horseback." (photo from 1885)

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/9d514c582b2ebad1327444f71505285a.jpg
Hello World! This Nile crocodile is 'egg-cited' to make it's big entrance into the ecosystem.

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/50c03371c47438ec2895d6330f7adb9d.jpg
Here's a shield that protected the face during extreme cold temps and snow storms in Canada, 1939.

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/d8123d1dc9bca9416867d96f0b98aa4a.jpg
Here's looking at you, Kid! This baby cheetah is a charmer!

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/14cef3eb59a5c6dff402c79863d3a055.jpg
The infamous exotic dancer and double agent, Margaretha Geertruida 'Margreet' MacLeod a.k.a. "Mata Hari" in 1906.

Mata Hari, best known as the sensual, dancing spy who worked as a double agent during World War I is one of the most discussed figures of the Great War. Not only because of her beauty, but many scholars are unsure about how big her role actually was. Following a bitter divorce the woman known as Margaretha Zelle moved to Paris in 1905 and began giving risqué performances to the gentry of the day.
After a fateful trip to The Hague (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/magazine/2017/11-12/mata-hari-history-killing/) in 1915, Mata Hair was introduced to Karl Kroemer, the honorary German consul of Amsterdam, who paid her 20,000 francs to work as a spy for Germany. She took the money, but not because she wanted to exchange information, she saw the payment as a remuneration for the effects that German stole from her when war broke out across Europe.
She was followed by intelligence officers from the moment she returned to Paris, and in 1916 she was arrested after being sent to spy on Germany by France. The entire thing was a set up meant to raise morale for the French people. However, Mata Hari confessed to spying for France in order to gain release from her interrogation. She was released, and for some reason she continued spying on Germany for France, unaware that a trap was being laid for her. In 1917 she was arrested again, convicted on eight counts of espionage, and put to death by firing squad. She refused to be tied to a stake for her execution and instead chose to stand of her own accord`.

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/8a4334dd8f1997dfb66035d744373cea.jpg
Jean Harlow poses next to the huge World Heavyweight Champion Primo Carnera (nicknamed the Ambling Alp) in 1933. He had freakish strength and was genetically superior in that sense.

http://cdn.historydaily.org/content/73016/b3db8d9be8ea7f954fb413445e8847e5.jpg
Love their reaction when these little girls see the bride and groom kiss!

Weddings, unless you’re the bride or the groom they’re usually a pain. You’ve got to get dressed up and spend and entire day making sure that your friends know that you’re happy for them. To be a kid at a wedding is so much worse. You don’t get to eat what you want, you don’t get to drink, and you have to sit still for hours at a time. Also, there’s all that gross kissing.
The idea that you too one day have get all dolled up and make out in front of your friends and family is bad enough, but to have to have it flaunted in your face is just despicable.

**​(Big difference of what the filthy Liberal "Leftist" are doing to our kids today..)