PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan a racist?

jimnyc
03-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Personally, I once again say my ass. I don't think so in the slightest bit. Not personally and not factually.

AOC went public stating otherwise. pete311 stated the same here.

I figured a good debate.

"but no one who knew or studied him ever suggested he was a racist." - but AOC knows otherwise, and Pete supports here and thinks so as well.

---

AOC lies; Reagan was no racist

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., lied at this weekend’s South by Southwest Conference and Festivals when she implied that former President Reagan was a racist. Her claim that Reagan"pitted" white working class people against minorities in order "to screw over all working-class Americans,” particularly African-Americans and Hispanics, is both false and malicious. He did no such thing.

Had Ocasio-Cortez bothered to do her homework, she would have found otherwise.

As governor of California, Reagan appointed more African-Americans to government positions than any previous chief executive of the state. In the 1980 presidential campaign, Reagan was endorsed by civil rights leaders Ralph Abernathy, Charles Evers, and Hosea Williams.

It was Reagan who signed the bill that made the birthday of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. a national holiday. Here’s part of what he said at the signing ceremony:

In America, in the '50s and '60s, one of the important crises we faced was racial discrimination. The man whose words and deeds in that crisis stirred our nation to the very depths of its soul was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. … Now our nation has decided to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., by setting aside a day each year to remember him and the just cause he stood for. We’ve made historic strides since Rosa Parks refused to go to the back of the bus. As a democratic people, we can take pride in the knowledge that we Americans recognized a grave injustice and took action to correct it. And we should remember that in far too many countries, people like Dr. King never have the opportunity to speak out at all. … But traces of bigotry still mar America. So, each year on Martin Luther King Day, let us not only recall Dr. King, but rededicate ourselves to the Commandments he believed in and sought to live every day.

President Reagan appointed the first African-American, Colin Powell, to be national security adviser, and the first Hispanic, Lauro Cavazos, to a cabinet position as the secretary of education.

In 1980, then-candidate Reagan received over 43 percent of the Hispanic vote.

Reagan supported statehood for Puerto Rico.

As for one most common story used to tar Reagan as a racist, the corruption of Linda Taylor — the Chicago “welfare queen” to whom Reagan referred in speeches — was documented in both the The Washington Post and The New York Times. He had not made this up.

The Reagan administration created more than 18 million jobs and kicked off a 26-year run of economic growth. Far from being a divisive force, Reagan left office with the support of 70 percent of the American people at large and 41 percent of African-Americans specifically. His was the most unifying president since John F. Kennedy.

Reagan supported enterprise zones as a means of bringing more prosperity to the inner city, but was blocked for eight years by Speakers Tip O’Neill, D-Mass., and Jim Wright, D-Texas.

Reagan has been accused of many things, but no one who knew or studied him ever suggested he was a racist. He never judged anyone on the basis of skin color because he was raised to treat everyone the same. His father, Jack, refused to allow his son to see “The Birth of a Nation” because of its racist content, even though it was one of Woodrow Wilson’s favorite movies. Reagan carried that feeling of equality in his heart for his entire life.

It is well known that while in college, on a football team road trip in 1931, Reagan’s team stayed at a hotel that did not allow African-Americans. So Reagan took two of his fellow players, who happened to be African-American, to his nearby home, where they spent the night with his family instead.

Ocasio-Cortez is entitled to advocate for whatever positions she wishes, no matter how antithetical they may be to American values and our way of life. That is the beauty of our system. But she is not entitled to lie; no one in public office is. She owes Ronald Reagan and the public an apology.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/aoc-lies-reagan-was-no-racist

jimnyc
03-12-2019, 04:22 PM
I want to clarify - pete said "Reagan's war on drugs was racist" - which is Much different.

But just because the outcome hurt some differently than others, that hardly makes the plan or the man racist. So waiting on further input from Pete

pete311
03-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Correct, I am not saying he is a racist or that the plan was inherently racist (I don't know, maybe), but the end result we find out certainly was. I quite like his presidential civility and professionalism. Something diametrically opposite of Trump.

jimnyc
03-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Correct, I am not saying he is a racist or that the plan was inherently racist (I don't know, maybe), but the end result we find out certainly was. I quite like his presidential civility and professionalism. Something diametrically opposite of Trump.

2 VERY different guys, both with good results though. :)

And let's face it, while things were in fact wacky in the outcomes - the folks being arrested were for the large part doing the drugs they were charged with! So it's not like innocent people were being arrested. And if so, that's an entirely different subject altogether.

The issue I saw, was folks being arrested rightfully, and seeing different results in not only different states, but also different results/sentences in even neighboring counties.

But NOW, I see some guys were busted in Maryland recently with NONE POUNDS of marijuana, and I think it was the governor or the mayor, stating they weren't even going to press charges! Oy! Normally that's 20 years minimum. Times a changing!

pete311
03-12-2019, 04:34 PM
But NOW, I see some guys were busted in Maryland recently with NONE POUNDS of marijuana, and I think it was the governor or the mayor, stating they weren't even going to press charges! Oy! Normally that's 20 years minimum. Times a changing!

As they should, dude having a bag of plant material getting 20 years is totally absurd when Manafort a career criminal aiding tyrants only gets 4 years.

jimnyc
03-12-2019, 04:41 PM
As they should, dude having a bag of plant material getting 20 years is totally absurd when Manafort a career criminal aiding tyrants only gets 4 years.

Dude is 70 and gonna croak. Regardless, sometimes completely different jurisdictions, different things called for in the law, sometimes precedent changes things. "think" tons of others in congress getting shitty ass slap on the wrist penalties, and then it goes both ways. Just so many reasons as to why. And with most drug laws, most places have the penalties set. Problem is, different areas and different penalties. 9 pounds in Maryland is apparently OK - but do that in most Southern states and you're going away!

One just can't explain another. Literally apples and oranges.