PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi Says She'd Personally Welcome Lowering the Voting Age

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 11:53 AM
If course, as I said, they will make for good little indoctrinated Dem voters! Let's face it, schools are more liberal these days. Most kids at that age are clueless about politics, they haven't face it and life yet. But their vote would count as much as any other.

I don't agree with this, for either side. Give them a chance to live, face life, taxes and basically everything they will vote on. Otherwise it's voting blindly, or who someone else tells you to.

---

Pelosi Says She'd Personally Welcome Lowering the Voting Age

(CNSNews.com) - At a news conference on Thursday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was asked if she approves of lowering the voting age to 16.

"I myself – I’m not speaking for my caucus -- I myself have always been for lowering the voting age to 16. I think it's really important to capture kids when they're in high school, when they're interested in all of this, when they're learning about government, to be able to vote.”

Pelosi then plugged H.R. 1, a bill that would give the federal government greater control over state-run elections and ease voter registration requirements.

An amendment to H.R. 1 lowering the voting age to 16 did not pass, although the bill itself did. However, H.R. 1 has no chance of passing the Republican-led Senate.

In a Washington Post op-ed in January, House Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said H.R. 1 "should be called the Democrat Politician Protection Act," because some of its provisions favor incumbent politicians.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/pelosi-says-shed-personally-welcome-lowering-voting-age

STTAB
03-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Democrats are scum.

18 years old can't be trusted to buy guns, but 16 year olds should be allowed to vote?

pete311
03-14-2019, 12:19 PM
16 to drive, 18 to vote/enlist, 21 to drink are all a bit arbitrary. A debate is worthwhile and reasonable.

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 12:25 PM
16 to drive, 18 to vote/enlist, 21 to drink are all a bit arbitrary. A debate is worthwhile and reasonable.

Yes, a reasonable debate - REASONABLE.

You'd be VERY hard pressed to do a study, IMO, and find kids just out of HS being knowledgeable on politics. Outside of a rare few, most at that age simply haven't had any interest whatsoever yet, and therefore no knowledge, and blindly voting. If they did a study for a few years, and showed otherwise that a majority was coming out understanding over say like 40%, SOME of what they're voting on at least, then I'm all for it. But I'm NOT for putting in folks that don't even know the subject/s of what they're voting on.

STTAB
03-14-2019, 12:26 PM

The ONLY way I would entertain a discussion about changing the voting age is if it was directly tied to a mechanism that kept unqualified adults from voting. IOW if a 16 year old can meet the minimal requirements an adult should be subjected to to vote, I could discuss allowing that 16 year old to vote.

However, I seriously doubt you have any interest in a discussion about not allowing some of the dumb shit adults in this country vote.

pete311
03-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Yes, a reasonable debate - REASONABLE.

You'd be VERY hard pressed to do a study, IMO, and find kids just out of HS being knowledgeable on politics. Outside of a rare few, most at that age simply haven't had any interest whatsoever yet, and therefore no knowledge, and blindly voting. If they did a study for a few years, and showed otherwise that a majority was coming out understanding over say like 40%, SOME of what they're voting on at least, then I'm all for it. But I'm NOT for putting in folks that don't even know the subject/s of what they're voting on.

So you'd be in favor of increasing the voting age to like 20?

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 01:29 PM
21, with voter ID showing PROOF of CITIZENSHIP.

A 21 year old has had a little time in the REAL WORLD, at lease those not continuing their INDOCTRINATION in college. A 16 year old is an ignorant little twit, freshly indoctrinated.

The democrats know that their chances of being reelected are steadily going down the toilet, so they are HEAVILY investing in trying to legalize ILLEGAL ALIENS to vote, even though they already DO in some local elections, ILLEGALLY. This is AAAALL about democrats STAYING IN POWER, PERIOD, END OF STORY, and they will do ANYTHING to facilitate that. They don't care ONE BIT about the consequences, or how BAD it would be for America, or the LAW, or LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Democrats are the TRASH of America.

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 01:32 PM

I probably wouldn't be against!

I look back to when I was that age. I was busy worrying about school or a shitty job until after school. I had no idea what money was yet. I certainly didn't understand foreign affairs. Just a tad about how difficult the economy is. You can go on and on and on about subjects, and the majority of them, and then some more, will be things that kids just don't know about yet, haven't engaged yet. Abortion is another just popped into my head.

At first glance, this isn't even a political issue to me - but it's obviously so important and then therefore a political issue.

And please, don't compare to military and any other age limited things, as it's unfair and ain't much related to or equivalent to our voting.

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 01:34 PM
21, with voter ID showing PROOF of CITIZENSHIP.

I'll add and agree to that too - Voter ID should be a must by now, and it obviously needs to be a picture ID.

Hell to the no about giving ANY voting rights to illegal immigrants. How about criminal charges instead perhaps?

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Btw, as to comparisons since I know it's inevitable... someone can start a thread, and we can analyze each individual subject that has an age requirement attached, and debate as to whether or not that needs re-addressing.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 01:42 PM
I'll add and agree to that too - Voter ID should be a must by now, and it obviously needs to be a picture ID.

Hell to the no about giving ANY voting rights to illegal immigrants. How about criminal charges instead perhaps?
If you're too young to go buy yourself a jug of whiskey, just as one example, then what business do you have voting in elections deciding the outcome for people that are old enough?

18 year olds will parrot whatever they've been TAUGHT. They haven't had squat for time to be exposed to real life experiences that would teach them a little wisdom.

And another shitty little illegal effort underway by the DEMOCRATS is for states to give all their electoral votes to the popular vote winner in the presidential election, OBVIOUSLY in CONTEMPT of the ELECTORAL COLLEGE LAW, but do they care? When did a LAW stop a DEMOCRAT?

I'm tellin' ya, this is ALL an attempt for DEMOCRATS to WIN ELECTIONS, because they're SCARED they're NOT GOING TO. Flower girl Pelosi just lectured Americans on how UNAMERICAN is was NOT TO ALLOW ILLEGAL ALIENS TO VOTE. OH REALLY? She should be ARRESTED for SEDITION.

https://i.ibb.co/kBPd0GD/no-border-walls-no-voter-id-laws-figured-it-out-yet-nancy-pelosi-chuck-schumer.jpg

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Capture them in HS, when they are interested in this? That's BS. Outside of a few clubs like that in school and what not, there is very little to no interest in HS.

---

Nancy Pelosi Backs 16-year-olds Voting: ‘Capture Kids When They’re in High School’

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Thursday that the voting age should be lowered to 16 years old, telling reporters on Capitol Hill, “I think it’s really important to capture kids when they are in high school when they are interested in all of this, when they are learning about government, to be able to vote.”

Pelosi was defending H.R. 1, the “For the People Act,” which Democrats say will boost voting rights and reform government — and which Republicans say would enable voter fraud and tilt the scales for Democrats.

As USA Today noted, the House actually defeated an amendment to the bill by Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) that would have lowered the age for voting to 16 in federal elections. The vote was 305-126 against the idea.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/03/14/nancy-pelosi-backs-16-year-olds-voting-capture-kids-when-theyre-in-high-school/

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Tucker: The Left Sees Illegal Aliens Voting as a Way to Obtain Power

Tucker Carlson said the left's rhetoric on illegal immigration has become "increasingly brazen," and their intentions are less disguised than they've ever been.

"In the Trump presidency, the mask is off. The left tells us that no illegal immigrants should ever be deported, even ones who have committed crimes. Not only that, they should be allowed to vote," Carlson said on his program Thursday night.

He noted that immigration advocate Cesar Vargas made the argument that undocumented immigrants should vote earlier this week, and Jennifer Palmieri, communications director for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, appeared to change her position that non-citizens should never be allowed to vote in U.S. elections.

https://insider.foxnews.com/2018/03/29/tucker-carlson-left-sees-illegal-immigrants-voting-way-obtain-power

jimnyc
03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
The fact that they admit this, from their leadership no less. :(

And of course it's about votes. They may have an argument, that if IMO is backed by studies, for lowering the age 2 years. But illegals? Fuck that.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
AMERICA'S ONLY saving grace, is that President Trump will NEVER SIGN any of these OUTLANDISH, ANTI AMERICAN TRASH BILLS the democrats are pumping out.

THANK GOD for PRESIDENT TRUMP!

STTAB
03-14-2019, 02:30 PM
I probably wouldn't be against!

I look back to when I was that age. I was busy worrying about school or a shitty job until after school. I had no idea what money was yet. I certainly didn't understand foreign affairs. Just a tad about how difficult the economy is. You can go on and on and on about subjects, and the majority of them, and then some more, will be things that kids just don't know about yet, haven't engaged yet. Abortion is another just popped into my head.

At first glance, this isn't even a political issue to me - but it's obviously so important and then therefore a political issue.

And please, don't compare to military and any other age limited things, as it's unfair and ain't much related to or equivalent to our voting.

By the time I was 20 I had already been sent into a warzone by the very government which would not have allowed me to vote had the age limit been 21.

I think its RIDICULOUS that we have all these different ages. 18 to vote, 18 to sign a contract , 16 to consent to sex, 21 to drink, 16 to drive a car............ ETC ETC. A person is either an adult or not across the board.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-14-2019, 04:48 PM
I am 65 years old, seen a damn helluva lot(bad people, evil bastards, dumbass shits), done a lot of both hard work and fighting in my long life.
Voting about leadership of this country is not a trivial matter.
Here is the damn truth- no person under the age of 23 should be allowed to vote in any election at any level!
With only one exception, If they have completed 4 years military service , with an honorable discharge then age 22 would be allowed.
Fact is, truly the age of 26 should be the standard but never would this fast falling nation ever go for that, IMHO.
Any man, that is not a damn worthless POS dem/lib/leftist fool and that has also seen as much as I have will agree with this..
Those that don't, havent got a damn clue, IMHO.
And yes, I'd gladly say that face to face to any damn man alive, consequences be damned..
Some things, I just don't play... ...-Tyr

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 06:26 PM
By the time I was 20 I had already been sent into a warzone by the very government which would not have allowed me to vote had the age limit been 21.

I think its RIDICULOUS that we have all these different ages. 18 to vote, 18 to sign a contract , 16 to consent to sex, 21 to drink, 16 to drive a car............ ETC ETC. A person is either an adult or not across the board.
Valid point, bro. Since only about 1-2% of the population ever serves time in the military, (but we're pretty well represented here), I'd say it wouldn't be too hard to put a clause in a 21 year old voting age limit to give any active duty or veteran 18 years or older the right to vote. If you can fight for your country then you damn sure ought to have the right to vote who's running it.

Elessar
03-14-2019, 06:45 PM
I agree with the above members who believe 16 years old is too young to vote.
16 year olds are more concentrated on peer popularity, their next date,
athletics (in some).

They have no idea what the big wide world is about, have no experience, and
will only believe what is shoved down their throats.

The above idea of waiting to 20 years old has merits, I think.
Comparisons to driving, military service, legally purchasing alcohol,
or firearms, are somewhat related - but most all of these have controls and restrictions.

Voting has none, But I agree with a Nation Voter ID - picture ID - to be initiated.

I also believe that English should be declared our National Language and quit having
to print and publish official applications and documents in multiple languages, thus saving
the government millions on printing costs. You can't read or write English? Tough titty!
Learn it before being granted the privileges of citizenship.

Gunny
03-14-2019, 07:17 PM
High school priorities.

1. Get laid

2. Get away from home

3. Wonder what that girl in 3rd period thinks of me?

4. Get high

5. Proclaim loudly my Rights are being violated

6. Make sure I have gas money for crappy first car

Yeah. They should vote :rolleyes:

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 07:24 PM
High school priorities.

1. Get laid

2. Get away from home

3. Wonder what that girl in 3rd period thinks of me?

4. Get high

5. Proclaim loudly my Rights are being violated

6. Make sure I have gas money for crappy first car

Yeah. They should vote :rolleyes:
You forgot about asking Mom to pick up another jar of pimple cream at Walgreens on her way home.

Gunny
03-14-2019, 08:49 PM
You forgot asking Mom to pick up another jar of pimple cream at Walgreens on her way home.

High school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2XdmyBtCRQ

High_Plains_Drifter
03-14-2019, 10:25 PM
High school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2XdmyBtCRQ
I like that tune. First time I heard it I was living for my second time in Sheridan, Montana, back in 1987-88.

Gunny
03-15-2019, 07:17 PM
I like that tune. First time I heard it I was living for my second time in Sheridan, Montana, back in 1987-88.I was more referencing the state of mind of the song title. I was a Sgt by the time that song came out :laugh:

MY HS was more like Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Eagles, Skynyrd,

Point is, if I was 1/100th as smart now as I thought I was then I'd be a certifiable genius. I lived in Miami. Close to the beach and close to the Keys. Lots of girls in bikini's :)

I didn't give a hoot about politics until the Iran Hostage Crisis. I was aware prior to that, but had no real interest. Had to work on my tan :cool:

Elessar
03-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Let's put it in brass tacks:

liberals preach to youth on what to think;
Conservatives tell youth HOW to think.

There is a huge difference.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-16-2019, 09:41 PM
I was more referencing the state of mind of the song title. I was a Sgt by the time that song came out :laugh:

MY HS was more like Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, The Eagles, Skynyrd,

Point is, if I was 1/100th as smart now as I thought I was then I'd be a certifiable genius. I lived in Miami. Close to the beach and close to the Keys. Lots of girls in bikini's :)

I didn't give a hoot about politics until the Iran Hostage Crisis. I was aware prior to that, but had no real interest. Had to work on my tan :cool:
I spent damn near all my spare time at the beach when I was stationed at MacDill in Tampa. I had a great tan. When I'd go home to Wisconsin on leave everyone looked so white to me. I could spend all day in the sun and never burn either. One time we had friends of my wife's family come down from Pennsylvania, and we told them, better cover up but no, they didn't listen. They wound up with BLISTERS the size of QUARTERS they had such a bad sunburn, and that was just from a couple hours in the Florida sun.

I haven't had a tan for years, but since I've been on the diet and hitting the gym, the shirt is coming off and I'm getting a tan this year. Got nothing to be ashamed of now. I'm looking pretty good if I don't say so myself... ;)

High_Plains_Drifter
03-17-2019, 03:05 AM
https://i.ibb.co/3scFCLN/D12-AOua-U0-AEtnue.jpg

KarlMarx
03-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Democrats are scum.

18 years old can't be trusted to buy guns, but 16 year olds should be allowed to vote?

Nevermind guns....

16 year olds would vote to lower the federal drinking age to 15

Pelosi’s comments make me consider having her tested for Alzheimer’s. She should be playing bingo or knitting afghans, not running the country