PDA

View Full Version : Beto Suggested Legalizing Cocaine To End Mexican Drug Cartel Violence

jimnyc
03-20-2019, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, still hold the same stance. Chemical made drugs like cocaine, meth, heroin, opiates, fentanyl... No way in hell these drugs should be legalized. This is similar crap to what Ron/Rand Paul or whomever suggested. These drugs lead to death or jail - nowhere else, that's it.

---

Beto Suggested Legalizing Cocaine To End Mexican Drug Cartel Violence Spilling 'Everyday' Into El Paso

As Democratic candidates argue against President Trump that there is no national emergency due to illegal alien narcotic trafficking and other crimes, it is important to remember that one candidate is all too familiar with the violence caused by Mexican drug cartels. Then known as El Paso city Councilman Robert O'Rourke, the Texas native suggested a decade ago that the United States had to legalize drugs such as cocaine and marijuana in order to stop the killings and brutality plaguing his hometown daily. Today, he still holds this view on drugs but argues that the violence does not exist anywhere at all on the border anymore.

"We feel the violence every day," O'Rourke told CNN on March 20, 2009 . "The cartels control [Juarez], and that spills over onto the U.S. side."

"Decriminalizing drugs would take away a lot of the financial incentive for the cartels to kill. The violence would go down," he argued.

Decriminalization to solve the crime brought in by Mexican cartels was also popular among some Attorney Generals at the time:

via CNN:

The rising violence has prompted people like O'Rourke, and now Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard, to examine all options.

"We are not winning the battle," Goddard said at a congressional hearing this week in Washington. "Sixty percent of the battle is marijuana."

Rest - https://townhall.com/tipsheet/timothymeads/2019/03/20/flashback-as-city-councilman-beto-told-cnn-el-paso-felt-mexican-cartel-violence-n2543392

Elessar
03-20-2019, 10:35 PM
He is clearly deluded, and I suspect in the pockets of the cartels
based on his rhetoric.

I do not use rumor or speculation, just deal in facts. He seems to
be clearly in arms with the the cartels based on his own comments.

pete311
03-21-2019, 11:33 AM
drug addiction is a health problem not a criminal problem. once you understand that, your perspective changes.

jimnyc
03-21-2019, 11:36 AM
drug addiction is a health problem not a criminal problem. once you understand that, your perspective changes.

I agree that addiction then becomes a health problem. But selling meth over the border for example, that is a crime, no way a health matter. People snorting cocaine or meth - while maybe addiction took them over - NO WAY those drugs should be made legal. Perhaps HELP those people break the addiction - but legalization of such hardcore drugs will kill these people in the end.

pete311
03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
I agree that addiction then becomes a health problem. But selling meth over the border for example, that is a crime, no way a health matter. People snorting cocaine or meth - while maybe addiction took them over - NO WAY those drugs should be made legal. Perhaps HELP those people break the addiction - but legalization of such hardcore drugs will kill these people in the end.

People don't take drugs based on legality. If someone wants to take coke, they will. I don't think legalization means Walgreens will be selling bottles of meth.

jimnyc
03-21-2019, 12:05 PM
People don't take drugs based on legality. If someone wants to take coke, they will. I don't think legalization means Walgreens will be selling bottles of meth.

No, they don't, but I'll guarantee you that it becomes more readily available, and with no consequences, it will become much cheaper... and the use will get worse. It will only increase the usage and I also guarantee there will be more deaths. Seems the majority will tell you the reason they don't stop is the addiction, they don't want withdrawals. If it's cheaper and no charges if you get caught - what choice do you think they will make?

Penalties should remain, and if anything help these people out with ways to rehab and help with addictions and avoiding withdrawals. THAT would put a huge dent in things.

Thing is, Pete, is that I know some people personally that have died over the years. Their own damn faults on OD's, but that's what those drugs do - they will either end up killing you, or killing you.

"I used to do a little but then a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more..."

Gunny
03-21-2019, 05:43 PM
he still holds this view on drugs but argues that the violence does not exist anywhere at all on the border anymore.

Maybe he should try being around it more instead of hanging out on the East Coast. The violence is still here, and it isn't just "spillover". The cartels aren't smuggling those drugs to "nobody".

pete311
03-22-2019, 10:13 AM
No, they don't, but I'll guarantee you that it becomes more readily available, and with no consequences, it will become much cheaper... and the use will get worse. It will only increase the usage and I also guarantee there will be more deaths. Seems the majority will tell you the reason they don't stop is the addiction, they don't want withdrawals. If it's cheaper and no charges if you get caught - what choice do you think they will make?

Penalties should remain, and if anything help these people out with ways to rehab and help with addictions and avoiding withdrawals. THAT would put a huge dent in things.

Thing is, Pete, is that I know some people personally that have died over the years. Their own damn faults on OD's, but that's what those drugs do - they will either end up killing you, or killing you.

"I used to do a little but then a little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more..."

This isn't what happened in Portugal. They decriminalized in 2001 and treat drug addiction with education and healthcare. It's been a huge success. Healthy and educated people don't take heroin just like healthy and educated people don't stick a fork into an outlet. But if a healthy and educated person does have a moment of idiocy and does stick a fork into an outlet they go to the hospital, not jail.

jimnyc
03-22-2019, 10:24 AM
This isn't what happened in Portugal. They decriminalized in 2001 and treat drug addiction with education and healthcare. It's been a huge success. Healthy and educated people don't take heroin just like healthy and educated people don't stick a fork into an outlet. But if a healthy and educated person does have a moment of idiocy and does stick a fork into an outlet they go to the hospital, not jail.

Well, we aren't Portugal, and we have a LOT more drugs coming in and out of the States and accessible already. But hell, I'm not gonna argue with you over dumb stuff. If you think making it legal for everyone to get involved with drugs that kill, so be it. I'm of the belief that most of those drugs lead to nothing good. Only the rehab and things to help with addiction seemed to help. Cocaine, meth, fentanyl, heroin - such drugs like that should never be legal in any form, IMO. Treat, education and healthcare - and rehabs - I agree with you 100%. But that should be in tandem with completely getting rid of these drugs.

pete311
03-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Well, we aren't Portugal, and we have a LOT more drugs coming in and out of the States and accessible already. But hell, I'm not gonna argue with you over dumb stuff. If you think making it legal for everyone to get involved with drugs that kill, so be it. I'm of the belief that most of those drugs lead to nothing good. Only the rehab and things to help with addiction seemed to help. Cocaine, meth, fentanyl, heroin - such drugs like that should never be legal in any form, IMO. Treat, education and healthcare - and rehabs - I agree with you 100%. But that should be in tandem with completely getting rid of these drugs.

I'm more in favor of decriminalization. Legal for stuff like weed is trivial. Legal for heroin and meth, I agree ripe for serious debate.

jimnyc
03-22-2019, 10:48 AM
I'm more in favor of decriminalization. Legal for stuff like weed is trivial. Legal for heroin and meth, I agree ripe for serious debate.

Either way, no punishments, and then the drug users will go all out, and the prices will drop. Sucks to have to penalize those addicted - but if they aren't going to a rehab freely.... and that's why I say increase rehabs, give them an alternative to fines and prison.

pete311
03-22-2019, 11:07 AM
Either way, no punishments, and then the drug users will go all out, and the prices will drop. Sucks to have to penalize those addicted - but if they aren't going to a rehab freely.... and that's why I say increase rehabs, give them an alternative to fines and prison.

drug dealers go all out? huh? people don't take drugs whether or not they are legal or decriminalized. Just about every party I go to even in my mid 30s has some sort of drugs. The war is lost. More rehabs yes, but also more regulation because half the rehabs are ineffective and predatory.

STTAB
03-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Liberals should treat drugs in the same manner that they treat guns.

pete311
03-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Liberals should treat drugs in the same manner that they treat guns.

pretty sure guns are legal, so....

Abbey Marie
03-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Sooo much easier to get the nerve run down children, when you’ve done some lines.

STTAB
03-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Are you illiterate , dishonest, or a mix of both? I said liberals (IE YOU) should treat drugs the way you treat guns. I said NOTHING about the legality of either.

Abbey Marie
03-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Are you illiterate , dishonest, or a mix of both? I said liberals (IE YOU) should treat drugs the way you treat guns. I said NOTHING about the legality of either.

Just imagine what the gov’t can do to a drugged populace with no guns and a biased media. We’re almost there.

jimnyc
03-22-2019, 11:35 AM
drug dealers go all out? huh? people don't take drugs whether or not they are legal or decriminalized. Just about every party I go to even in my mid 30s has some sort of drugs. The war is lost. More rehabs yes, but also more regulation because half the rehabs are ineffective and predatory.

I said drug USERS.

If it's not a crime, the prices will drop dramatically, and yes, that will increase usage. While I think that marijuana is just fine, every study I have read shows that usage and addiction has risen dramatically in the places it's been legalized. But again, that's marijuana, it ain't gonna kill no one.

STTAB
03-22-2019, 11:52 AM
I said drug USERS.

If it's not a crime, the prices will drop dramatically, and yes, that will increase usage. While I think that marijuana is just fine, every study I have read shows that usage and addiction has risen dramatically in the places it's been legalized. But again, that's marijuana, it ain't gonna kill no one.

I'm not so sure about "it's just marijuana" Jimmy. Marijuana has positively been linked to an increased likelihood of schizophrenia. Not "man made climate change" linked either, but with actual science. Not to say you will develop mental illness from the occasional joint, and marijuana isn't likely to kill you in an overdose the way other drugs are, but your chances of developing a mental illness do increase dramatically if you smoke daily. This is almost entirely due to the increased THC levels in marijuana compared to even 10 years ago.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-22-2019, 05:31 PM
Beto... pfft... what kind of whack ideas to you expect from a guy who eats DIRT? This is your DEMOCRAT DARLING... someone who eats DIRT, and even tried to feed his WIFE a TURD... WHO in the HELL would VOTE for these people? Pete?

https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2019-03-20-wash-post-beto-tried-to-feed-his-wife-a-turd/

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/beto-admitted-eating-magic-dirt-humiliating-loss-ted-cruz-left-funk/

Gunny
03-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Beto... pfft... what kind of whack ideas to you expect from a guy who eats DIRT? This is your DEMOCRAT DARLING... someone who eats DIRT, and even tried to feed his WIFE a TURD... WHO in the HELL would VOTE for these people? Pete?

https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2019-03-20-wash-post-beto-tried-to-feed-his-wife-a-turd/

https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/beto-admitted-eating-magic-dirt-humiliating-loss-ted-cruz-left-funk/Almost as many as voted for Cruz. That's "who" "these people" are. He is popular with the politically active Hispanic crowd here. He's one person I'd rather see dead than President.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-22-2019, 09:23 PM
I'm not so sure about "it's just marijuana" Jimmy. Marijuana has positively been linked to an increased likelihood of schizophrenia. Not "man made climate change" linked either, but with actual science. Not to say you will develop mental illness from the occasional joint, and marijuana isn't likely to kill you in an overdose the way other drugs are, but your chances of developing a mental illness do increase dramatically if you smoke daily. This is almost entirely due to the increased THC levels in marijuana compared to even 10 years ago.
Yep, was going to post this myself. The new marijuana is WAAAAY more powerful than before. It's not like the old 'lumbo gold' we used to get for $20 an oz. This new stuff is POTENT... as in dangerous potent.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/marijuana-is-more-dangerous-than-you-think-11546527075

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/pot-is-already-legal-in-lots-of-places-now-we-need-strong-warning-labels-to-keep-the-public-safe

Elessar
03-22-2019, 09:25 PM

What about the effect on a family - children - for a voluntary user, dealer, or addict?

Decrim? No frikkin' way!

High_Plains_Drifter
03-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Almost as many as voted for Cruz. That's "who" "these people" are. He is popular with the politically active Hispanic crowd here. He's one person I'd rather see dead than President.
You want to see the president dead?

Elessar
03-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Well, not the way liberals are pressing for more laws and confiscation.

They focus on the tool, or in this case the substance, and not the human that uses them.

Gunny
03-23-2019, 03:45 PM
You want to see the president dead?:laugh:

I would rather see beto dead than see him as President.