PDA

View Full Version : Criminalizing Free Speech

jimnyc
03-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Another big fear of mine and I'm afraid we are slowly going in that direction. Imagine being given a fine for calling someone a HE, even though that person was born MALE - but since they decided they want to be a female, no one is allowed to call them HE anymore? And if they do, they get a fine? GTFO. I'll be damned that I ever see the day that I have to purposely bend over to be nice to people, because someone demands it. Not how it works. I'm kinda a little used to my RIGHTS by now and don't feel like giving them up. So to the HE's that now don't like that anymore? Eat shit. Same goes for anyone else that may be upset with the way I talk or write, You have the right to go away.

I always thought that we needed LESS political correctness. But seems like the more folks push for that, and for those rights, others are oddly pushing for rules, regulations and perhaps laws.

---

Criminalizing Free Speech

Political correctness regarding free speech has gone too far. At first it took the form of just criticism. Feminists and diversity proponents lectured everyone on how they should speak. It was prevalent at universities, and spread next to corporations and K-12 education. Then it turned into civil infractions. Businesses that refused to accommodate same-sex marriage, based on their sincerely held religious beliefs, were held to have violated the law. After that, big tech took to censoring offenders. Twitter, Facebook and YouTube in particular banned those whose speech it disliked. Now, it’s becoming a crime in civilized countries to say politically incorrect things.

One area this has arisen in is pronouns for transgenders. I’m not talking about using derogatory terms for transgenders. This is over merely using the pronoun of the gender someone was born with, instead of the gender they are attempting to become. It is being called “misgendering” or “deadnaming.”

In the United Kingdom, a Catholic journalist was investigated by the police earlier this month for referring to a transgender as “she” instead of “him.” The U.K.’s Malicious Communications Act criminalizes “a message which is indecent or grossly offensive,” “a threat,” “information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender,” or “any article or electronic communication which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature.” Caroline Farrow faces up to two years in prison, a fine or both.

While this took place in the U.K., not the U.S., the U.S. often follows in the footsteps of the U.K. a few years later. The U.S. is currently at the third stage in the progression of censorship, with big tech starting to ban anyone who labels transgenders by the gender they were born with. This is more worrisome than it first appears. Many people, such as journalists, need Facebook, Twitter and YouTube in order to do their jobs. Banning them can seriously jeopardize their careers, making it difficult for them to make a living. There are entire news organizations that have a policy of referring to transgenders by the gender they were born with. Will big tech use this to ban entire news outlets from their platforms? Based on history, it is reasonable to predict yes. This will eliminate much of conservative news sites.

Rest - https://townhall.com/columnists/rachelalexander/2019/03/25/criminalizing-free-speech-n2543655