PDA

View Full Version : Michael Avenatti defends himself after arrest

jimnyc
03-27-2019, 12:37 PM
And continues to make himself look dumber and dumber & sleazier.

How stupid do you have to be, as a lawyer, in the profession - to state that it's normal and that people make threats all the time?

If you make a threat, to either give me money or I will release 'bad information' about you - that's TEXTBOOK extortion. Again, what a maroon.

And he wanted to make sure that the right thing was done. Yeah, the right thing is keeping ones mouth shut in return for $$ millions of dollars.

---

Michael Avenatti reacts to indictment for extortion: I was trying to 'make sure that the right thing was done'

Celebrity lawyer Michael Avenatti brushed aside his indictment for extortion by saying “people make threats all the time,” according to his “CBS This Morning” interview that aired Wednesday.

“There’s legal experts that say that I was well within the line as an aggressive attorney. There’s many that say that, and the fact of the matter is this was not extortion. People make threats all the time … in connection with trying to settle a case,” Avenatti said.

Avenatti was indicted Monday in two jurisdictions. Federal prosecutors in New York accuse Avenatti of concocting a scheme to extort more than $20 million from corporate giant Nike. He is also charged with bank and wire fraud in California in connection to embezzlement accusations.

Avenatti told “CBS This Morning” that many lawyers do what he is accused of doing.

“If what they’ve alleged constitutes extortion, you’re going to have to go around the country and arrest tens of thousands of lawyers in this country for extortion,” he said. “It was attempting to settle and resolve a dispute on behalf of a client and make sure that the right thing was done.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/27/michael-avenatti-and-nike/

STTAB
03-27-2019, 01:44 PM
And continues to make himself look dumber and dumber & sleazier.

How stupid do you have to be, as a lawyer, in the profession - to state that it's normal and that people make threats all the time?

If you make a threat, to either give me money or I will release 'bad information' about you - that's TEXTBOOK extortion. Again, what a maroon.

And he wanted to make sure that the right thing was done. Yeah, the right thing is keeping ones mouth shut in return for $$ millions of dollars.

---

Michael Avenatti reacts to indictment for extortion: I was trying to 'make sure that the right thing was done'

Celebrity lawyer Michael Avenatti brushed aside his indictment for extortion by saying “people make threats all the time,” according to his “CBS This Morning” interview that aired Wednesday.

“There’s legal experts that say that I was well within the line as an aggressive attorney. There’s many that say that, and the fact of the matter is this was not extortion. People make threats all the time … in connection with trying to settle a case,” Avenatti said.

Avenatti was indicted Monday in two jurisdictions. Federal prosecutors in New York accuse Avenatti of concocting a scheme to extort more than $20 million from corporate giant Nike. He is also charged with bank and wire fraud in California in connection to embezzlement accusations.

Avenatti told “CBS This Morning” that many lawyers do what he is accused of doing.

“If what they’ve alleged constitutes extortion, you’re going to have to go around the country and arrest tens of thousands of lawyers in this country for extortion,” he said. “It was attempting to settle and resolve a dispute on behalf of a client and make sure that the right thing was done.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/27/michael-avenatti-and-nike/

On that point, he's not wrong. And hell prosecutors do it as well. "give me this or go to jail" that's extortion

jimnyc
03-27-2019, 02:49 PM
On that point, he's not wrong. And hell prosecutors do it as well. "give me this or go to jail" that's extortion

He has a point if he could stretch things among lawyer talk.

But as soon as you A) make a demand for cash - or else B) you're releasing damaging information about them

Even if others play fast and loose, and get ornery - there's still a line you can't cross. And not only did sleazeball here cross it - but he put it in writing for them!

LongTermGuy
03-27-2019, 05:20 PM
To everyone who wasn't indicted for EXTORTION yesterday.So did they raid MichaelAvenatti (https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti) 's house pre-dawn, guns drawn with amphibious equipment?Were there CNN anchors set up & ready to film?Like with Roger Stone?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2qgMDBXcAANUqM.jpg