PDA

View Full Version : Rules of the Road

Abbey Marie
04-03-2019, 05:09 PM
Opinions, please.

A car driving on, say, Maple St, comes up to a light at the intersection with a 4 lane (2 each way) road I'll call Rt 42. Rt 42 is divided by a median.

The light turns green, and the car proceeds to go through the intersection and turn left onto Rt 42. At this time, sort of across from the car, but to the right, there are two buses stopped on Rt 42 to take on or let off school kids. The red lights are flashing and the attached stop sign is sticking out.

The bus is stopped on the other side of the median, in the furthest lane. A bit diagonally right but perpendicular to the car. Sort of in front of the car, but 4 lanes away, if that makes sense. In turning, the car will go technically in front of the bus, but not close to it. At no time going by the side of the bus. In other words, when the bus finally goes, it would end up traveling in the same direction as the car, but behind it.

In Delaware, anyone turning right in that scenario would be within the law because of the median. Turning left is the question.

Should the car have gone through that intersection? Or not?
I know these rules can vary state to state, but what do you think?

Asking for a friend ;)

Elessar
04-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Wow! Tough one.

Turning that way would have violated the safety zone. Better to stay put until the bus and kids clear the zone, then turn.
Bus drivers have a responsibility to keep the sign and lights energized until the kids are clear.

So what if the driver has to wait another cycle? One question I have is why is the drop so close to an intersection?
It is bad enough that I have seen kids lollygag in a crosswalk, acting so cool when they hold up traffic.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-03-2019, 07:07 PM
I used to drive school bus. Not absolutely certain the circumstances, but if I do know here in Wisconsin that when the red lights are flashing and the stop sign is out on the school bus, in no shape, way or form are you ever to pass it, either from behind or oncoming. I'm sure this is the law in all states. I'm just a little confused about the divided road scenario. I think they'd have to stop there too.

High_Plains_Drifter
04-03-2019, 07:10 PM
The other day I was coming up the road just on the outskirts of town here and approached a school bus. The driver waited until I was almost right on the bus approaching and threw on the red flashing lights. I would have had to slam on the brakes and do a screaming panic stop to stop, and even then I'd have probably been past the front of the bus, so I slowed down but continued past. I wondered what the hell, because when I drove bus we had yellow lights also that we put on first to warn approaching vehicles that the reds were going to come on. The driver of this bus didn't do that. I was almost tempted to go down to the bus garage and talk to my old boss since I know him pretty well and ask if they don't use the yellow warning lights before the reds anymore.

darin
04-04-2019, 02:26 AM
The longform answer is simple: Parents need to raise smarter kids and the 'do not pass when flashing' laws can be all-but eliminated.

The short answer is - It's fine for the car to go through. Or it should be. Unless a kid possesses supernatural speed and ignorance there's no measurable danger.

Gunny
04-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Opinions, please.

A car driving on, say, Maple St, comes up to a light at the intersection with a 4 lane (2 each way) road I'll call Rt 42. Rt 42 is divided by a median.

The light turns green, and the car proceeds to go through the intersection and turn left onto Rt 42. At this time, sort of across from the car, but to the right, there are two buses stopped on Rt 42 to take on or let off school kids. The red lights are flashing and the attached stop sign is sticking out.

The bus is stopped on the other side of the median, in the furthest lane. A bit diagonally right but perpendicular to the car. Sort of in front of the car, but 4 lanes away, if that makes sense. In turning, the car will go technically in front of the bus, but not close to it. At no time going by the side of the bus. In other words, when the bus finally goes, it would end up traveling in the same direction as the car, but behind it.

In Delaware, anyone turning right in that scenario would be within the law because of the median. Turning left is the question.

Asking for a friend ;)I've seen what you are talking about (the median thing) and don't agree with it. Kids are dumbasses. Doubly so with the advent of the cell phone.

IMO, everybody stops.

STTAB
04-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Opinions, please.

Asking for a friend ;)

Judging by that scenario the car can proceed because there will be a lane between it and the bus even if the bus is still stopped as they meet.

icansayit
04-06-2019, 07:17 PM
I say YES. But, I also believe, if the conditions are different. It should be up to the driver, as to whether to proceed, or simply stop. OF COURSE, other drivers behind, and around you....WILL BE YELLING, or BLOWING THEIR HORNS.

Tough call. IMO.

Elessar
04-06-2019, 07:29 PM
In Oregon, if there is a median dividing a 4-lane, opposing traffic can proceed unless turning into the buses direction.

No median, ALL traffic stops except emergency vehicles - which will slow to a crawl.